GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 8000 miles on my 02 Wing and am wondering what to expect for milage from the Bridgestones that are on there. I get that roar when I lean the bike so I think the front is cupped though the tread is good. The rear has a flat area but it is hard to tell how much life is left. I always keep the pressure up. The bike is in now for the ECM/Frame fix (Yikes a nervous time) and with the riding season fast approaching I am wondering if I should have them slap on some tires. I think it makes sense to do that if I am going to have to bring it back in a few thousand miles. I have been reading the tire posts and am wondering Stones, Metzlers, or Avons? I will make that decision after the first. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey Joe, I got 11,500 miles on both sets of Bridgestones I had on my bike. I actually had several thousand miles left on them (even though the front tire was badly cupped), but decided to change them out due to impending long trips. I had a set of Metzlers that also cupped, but the current set hasn't. I love them - they are real sticky, have good mileage (I've got around 7,000 miles on them and they don't look used at all) and are really good in wet weather. I still may try a set of Avons next, though, just to see if they are any better than the Metzs.

·
Registered
759 Posts
my 02 gave me 10,500 on the stones on my first set....second set..im at 13,000 and still counting. First set I ran honda recommended air pressure...bummer mileage. I upped the pressure to 41 front and 39 rear...( I ride single) and much better wear. much less cupping on the front tire with the higher pressure.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Tires

I know this subject is almost as bad as the oil question. But..........my 01 came with Bridgestones. I changed them at just under 10K because I was leaving on a trip. Went with Dunlops. Even tried 2 sets of them. Scary in wet weather. Especially when encountering unavoidable tar snakes. IMO the Dunlops do not handle the metal grate bridges as well as the Bridgestones. I really like the newer version of the front Bridgestone. Right now my plans are to swap bikes when the 05's come out and if Honda still equips them with Dunlops that will be one of the first changes I make.
Jerry

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had 11,300 miles on my front Bridgestone when i changed to the new style front bridgestone.The tire had tread left but was severly cupped.The rear still has a couple thousand left in it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had 9500 on my Stones when I changed them out. They still had 3 or 4K left in them but I stuck a rock in the rear tire and the hole it left started splitting, so I changed them both. I always ran 40/41 and the cupping on the front was there, but not as bad as some reported. I put Dunlops on it then and they're wearing very good. I don't ride in the rain that much around here, so that's not been much of a concern for me, but I might try the new Stones or Avons on the next set just to see how they do. The only thing I didn't like about the Stones were the way the rear tire flattened out, but when riding, I really couldn't tell it was like that.
I don't ride my bike very hard and take it easy in the twisties

·
Registered
446 Posts
After hearing all the bad things about the "Stones", I increased the pressure to 42 front and 45 rear. Mileage went up (gas) and apparently so did the tire mileage. The front was cupped pretty good but the rear seemed to be doing great, . . . . still sticky on the twisties. I finally changed them at 14,200 miles because I was taking a long trip to Yellowstone. Replaced them with Dunlops because they were in stock. Seem to be OK. Have 8,000 on them with no cupping. Keep the pressure up!

Will seriously look at the Avons for the next set. Have heard good reports on them for other bikes. :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I ran my original Bridgestones for a bit over 17,000 miles before changing them out, I always followed the recommendation for 38 front and 41 rear on the pressure. I don't like to wear tires completely out before changing, I estimated I could get another 2,000 miles out of them, but that would be pushing it.

During the Dunlop tire seminar at Wing Ding, they said they were seeing some tires damaged by excessive tire pressure, they warned to never exceed the maximum cold tire pressure printed on the sidewall of the tire, it is an extremely dangerous practice, I believe the max cold pressure on both the Dunlop and Bridgestone tires is 41 psi.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
varider said:
The bike is in now for the ECM/Frame fix (Yikes a nervous time) and with the riding season fast approaching I am wondering if I should have them slap on some tires. I think it makes sense to do that if I am going to have to bring it back in a few thousand miles.
I think that it makes sense to do it now. If it were me, I'd just get into the prime riding season... and then have to put tires on it.

Do it now, while you aren't riding as much. Then it will be ready to go when the time comes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I changed My Brigstones to Dunlops because everyone said that they were great. Bad mistake. The dunlops ride is so much harder, it feel like you are riding on iron. The wife could not believe the difference in the ride. Before this riding season the Brigstones will be back on the bike.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Good information to hear how many miles other are getting on thier tires. However mileage can vary widely between riders. Good idea to check the wear bars on your own tires, wear bars are small lumps molded into the tires at the factory. The wear bars are designed to make it easy to tell when tires are near replacement visually without any speacial tools. Once the wear bars start to wear it is near time to replace. I have worn out 3 sets of bridgestone with 16-18000 per set.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Man,

I can't imagine getting anything greater than 12,000 miles out of a set of motorcycle tires. The stones on my wing were the only ones to last beyond 8000. As it was I felt that I was pushing it at the 12000 mark.

Someone once told me that our tires in florida will tend to wear faster due to the sand everywhere on the roads. During acceleration and braking this sand acts as a grinding agent on the tire but I think Red down south of me is the only other one who drives his bike as hard as me and I believe he was getting good mileage out of his.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well I had the Stones that came with the bike, and they lasted 5000 miles and were cupped real bad. I then went with the lops and still have them on as we speak, I'm not crazy about them, tar snakes etc but I'm going to ride them til there wore out. They are differant in the rain also, but they did keep me up in the middle of a severe t- storm and it was very severe. I'm hoping for a good report on the Avons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts