GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bridgestones for the 1800 are listed as G704 and G709, but I've also read others refer to them with other numbers, such as 850? Are the 704's and 709's the ONLY bridgestones for the 1800? I've tried the D250's and the Elite III's so far. I hated the E III's and took them off after 8,000 miles for a fresh set of D250's. I had very poor experiences with Metzlers with my '92 1500 and stuck with the Elite II's until I traded in my '97 1500 in '05 for the 1800. After reading the message boards, my next set are going to be the Bridgestones. Any info/input would be appreciated. Thanks. Chris

·
Registered
977 Posts
I too removed a set of E-3s that I did not like after about 10,000 miles on the set. probably could have gone another 4,000 miles but I hated the noise and handling that I had to do something. The back tire wiggled in the corners.

I installed the Bridgestone 850/851 that HDL sells for the 1800VTX. I chose that tire because its a 70s for the rear. I like the handling and gearing with the 70s on the rear. Only have about 600 miles so far but I really like the tires. They handle very well and are very quiet. A few others on the board are using the 850/851 and all report so far ar favorable. The good news is that they are readily available and wont burn a hole in your wallet. About $240 for the set depending on where you purchase.

There is a ton of info on the board about tires. I did a search and found lots of good reviews.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I just installed the 704's and 709's, after the D250's! I had 15050mi. on the Lops, could've got another 2 or 3 grand {40psi on front and 42 on rear}. I love the ride on the Stones after 800 mi. and they LEAN, "Great"! I did'nt know, I had bought a Sport Bike?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have use both the 709 & 704's and find they are extremely good for mileage. I had 18K on my front tire and 18K on my rear as well when I sold the bike. It was an 02'. I now have an 06' with stock Dunflops and so far so good. Extremely quiet and run smooth as silk.

When it is time for new shoes I will go for the New Bridgestones. No complaints.

Hope this helps. I am not an aggressive rider, just ride fast.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If you are sticking with the Bridgestones, the ones built for the Goldwing are the 702/709. The G850/851s were built for the VTX1800, and are the same size, they are radial, but they have a higher speed rating, a higher load rating, rear is 70 series, have less tread when new, and have less tread plies, and are sold at a lessor price.

Some of us have opted to use them on our wings, and some prefer the difference, others have not. I use them, and will guarantee you will get less mileage out the the G series than the700's. But I like the handling better for what I do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts