GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. My DCT Tour came with Bridgestones. I'm wondering if anyone else with the 'Stones has noticed a tendency for the front wheel to follow every small imperfection in the road surface - to wander a little - , and to for the rear wheel to "skip" a little sideways on every piece of gravel larger than a lima bean, especially in a curve. I don't remember our '98 GL1500 or any of our GL1800's doing this. Those bikes were generally rock solid on tar snakes, sealer cracks, those famous longitudinal seams on the Ohio Turnpike, or even on bridge steel grates. And we/ve used both Dunlops and 'Stones in the past. On this new 'Wing I can practically count each piece of gravel or stone the bike rolls across. I can feel the impact, slight thought it may be. Is this the tires, or is this characteristic of the new and improved suspension?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
tar snakes, sealer cracks, those famous longitudinal seams
My GL15 was a mess when we came across a lot of longitudinal tar snakes. A 2-up trip in AZ a few years ago was memorable for them.

My 2018 is the same. First experience on the DCT with lots of long tar snakes happened 2 days ago in Osoyoos, BC, Canada.

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
kysmart;

How in H377 did you ever get any bike to be rock solid on tar snakes, gravel, grooves, or grates? Some bikes and tires are better or worse, but rock solid???

Some alternative rear tires I have used do go a long way in stabilizing the rear, but I have yet to have a front make a great difference in these conditions. I just get sort of "get jiggy with it" and relax as I let it wander about some.

prs

·
Registered
109 Posts
My feeling is that the Bridgestones are very slightly wandering along the curve line, independent from the surface, and are more sensitive to tar snakes, while the Dunlops are more solid. On the other hand, the bike straigthens up forecefully while braking in(to) curves on Dunlops, while the Bridgestones have much less of this tendency. I prefer the Bridgestones, at comparable wear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That may well be. What I have noticed is that I seem to be developing a series of "divots" in our new saddle each time we experience tar snakes in a sharp right or left hand turn. Don't recall the Dunlops sliding laterally like the Stones do on our previous Wings...

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
my bike came with Dunlops, very happy with them....just installed a set of Bridgestones due to the cost savings....I feel every imperfection on the road now, definitely more sensitive than the Dunlops

·
Love The DCT
12,026 Posts
Just curious. My DCT Tour came with Bridgestones. I'm wondering if anyone else with the 'Stones has noticed a tendency for the front wheel to follow every small imperfection in the road surface - to wander a little - , and to for the rear wheel to "skip" a little sideways on every piece of gravel larger than a lima bean, especially in a curve. I don't remember our '98 GL1500 or any of our GL1800's doing this. Those bikes were generally rock solid on tar snakes, sealer cracks, those famous longitudinal seams on the Ohio Turnpike, or even on bridge steel grates. And we/ve used both Dunlops and 'Stones in the past. On this new 'Wing I can practically count each piece of gravel or stone the bike rolls across. I can feel the impact, slight thought it may be. Is this the tires, or is this characteristic of the new and improved suspension?
For me, both the G853 Stone and the D423F had a tendency to follow road imperfections. I never noticed the rear G852 Stone or the D423 Dunlop rear tires to skip a bit sideways on small rocks or gravel in curves.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Sounds to me as though you've got a little play in your rear swingarm bearings. If it were me I'd be checking them out first to be sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my bike came with Dunlops, very happy with them....just installed a set of Bridgestones due to the cost savings....I feel every imperfection on the road now, definitely more sensitive than the Dunlops
I’m planning on getting stones installed in 2 weeks, almost $100 cheaper. If you could do over would you go back to Dunlop’s? That’s what I have now and headed out on a week long trip to SD shortly after. If there is that big a difference I’m not sure I want to experience that on vacation too.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I had Dunflops on my bike new. That is what it came with. Swapped the rear out after 1000 km to a RF car tire & the front (after it wore out) to a Bridgestone. I was not impressed with the new Dunflops & they are bloody expensive! No thanks!!
I ❤ my Driveguard RF + Bridgestone front tire! No slipping, skipping or sliding on anything! :grin2:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm currently running Elite 4's front and rear and rear and don't notice any negative tendencies. Can't say any tire brand I've run was particularly worse than any other but, on our roads here in Pennsylvania, which are notoriously bad, I may just be desensitized after all the miles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went through two and a half sets (additional rear) of Dunlops on my DCT. They were fine or so I thought. Put a set of Stones on last week and then did a 1000 mile round trip on them. The trip began with four hours of rain and that showed me all I needed to know.

These tires stick like glue on dry or wet pavement and track as true as you are ever going to get. I have seen that some complain that they want to wander on the pavement but you couldn't prove it by me. As far as wear, I'll have to get back with the results after an upcoming 8000 + trip. I generally ride the back roads/twisties and run them fairly hard mostly downshifting to slow (ergo the extra rear tire). This trip will be a combination of highway/back roads and if I can make it home without having to change a tire then I'll be satisfied.

In any event I think I'll be sticking with the Bridgestones in the future.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I’m planning on getting stones installed in 2 weeks, almost $100 cheaper. If you could do over would you go back to Dunlop’s? That’s what I have now and headed out on a week long trip to SD shortly after. If there is that big a difference I’m not sure I want to experience that on vacation too.
I was very happy with the Dunlops (better tire IMHO than the E3's on my previous bike)....they wore very well, and only started to hum in curves in the last 1K - changed them out at 12.5K and still had a few miles left in them

If both brands were the same price, or very close, I would go with the Dunlops

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I'm currently running Elite 4's front and rear and rear and don't notice any negative tendencies. Can't say any tire brand I've run was particularly worse than any other but, on our roads here in Pennsylvania, which are notoriously bad, I may just be desensitized after all the miles.
E4's do not fit 2018

·
Registered
422 Posts
Very happy with the Bridgestone Exedra

·
Registered
49 Posts
My ST came with Dunlop’s, switched them out when wore with Stones and never looked back. My Wing came with Stones and I’m satisfied so far (7000 mi). Stones handle very well wet, did not like Dunlop’s in the wet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had Dunflops on my bike new. That is what it came with. Swapped the rear out after 1000 km to a RF car tire & the front (after it wore out) to a Bridgestone. I was not impressed with the new Dunflops & they are bloody expensive! No thanks!!
I ❤ my Driveguard RF + Bridgestone front tire! No slipping, skipping or sliding on anything! :grin2:
How did you disable the TPS when U went to CT??
Don Darksider # 315

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
How did you disable the TPS when U went to CT??
Don Darksider # 315
Don, I wish I could! LOL! I either run it at 33psi (where I would like to) & watch the ‘tire’ flash forever, or bump it up to 38 psi & watch it flash for 15 min & then it stops flashing. If I could remove the rear TPMS off the display, I would! :frown2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts