GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from Americade at Lake George. One of my main reasons for going was to pick up a set of tires for my GL 1800. I was going to buy the Stones but when I got to their area there was no equipment for changing tires or any personnel to change. When I asked a representative from Bridgestone he told me they had a private contractor doing the sales and working on bikes the next town up. He would not, could not, give me a price on the tires let alone the installation costs saying it was up to the private contractor. I feel that we potential consumers were totally ignored by Bridgestone. Their total lack of support before any potential sale has forced me to go a different route. I am now on Avon's as their booth was staffed with a knowledgable sales team and competent mechanics as was Dunlop's area. As you can tell I am amazed at Bridgestone's total disregard for its customers, especially at an event the size of Americade and by the amount potential Goldwing tire customers they must have lost.

·
Registered
19,374 Posts
I disagree BS makes the tires not installs them. Take a ride the next town over and get some new shoes

·
Registered
583 Posts
You should be thankful, because now you have some real tires on your Wing. :popcorn:

GM

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Sorry but where is it written that when you want something "They better be have it at a rally because that's the only reason you went?" lol

I bet you paid more than your local dealer would of charged you for a set of mounted tires too.:shrug:

Most guys search for the Best price or wait for our sponsor to have one of many sales going on and order from them.:thumbup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I said that it was "one" of the reasons that I went to Americade. Past practices made me think that they would be doing "business as usual" this year as well. All the other manufacturers were. Another reason was that I thought that "Gee if I buy them right out of their truck they might be as fresh as possible and at least I can check the date of manufacture before they are installed. Since I am already here and will be walking around for a few hours lets get them installed by factory trained technicians and save some time as well" As for installation, my dealer thinks that you have to remove the left saddlebag in order to change the rear tire. I thought maybe the factory trained personnel might be just a tad smarter than that. All things as they are I would be happy to buy from a board sponsor if they would come and install them for me. The point of my op was that if I were spending the amount of money it cost Bridgestone for the multiple spots they were occupying, I would make sure they were manned by professionals who knew their products and at least what the contractor up the road was charging for said product. There are some of us on this forum that don't have the luxury either time-wise or money-wise as some of the more "well-heeled" members. There are a lot of working class folks here as well.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Well, I can see both sides of the coin. Consider tht Bridgestone may have had the local dealer as a good customer in this local. They did not want to take his business away by selling tires so near to him. But, if that was teh case, they still should have had all the detailed info for you about price and such and a special good deal to boot. In the end, I think you got the superior tire anyway.

prs

·
Registered
19,374 Posts
I did not mean to upset you. I just have never seen BStone, Dunflop, Metzler or any other mfg install bike tires. Just buy em here DLP and get someone to install for about $30/wheel

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
What would the point to be at a rally to promote your tires if you donot do anything there.
The point is to promote your product...perhaps not EVERYONE who sees a product NEED that product at THAT point in time

There are many vendors of "routine maintainence" products who display and shows but do not do installs....oil, brakes, filters etc...vendors that sell cleaning products but do not clean your motorcycle at the show....

When a potential customer, who is not in need of that product at that time (vast majority of potential customers) see the product they may plan to purchase when next needed...

I do not need new tires at this time but did look at the various vendors to plan what I may do next.

Make sense?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts