GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to have a new 709 installed and unwrapped it today to
discover maybe a problem...not sure. Please view photos. On the inside
there are these holes in the inner lining that expose the cord. Do you think
this is OK? Doesen't seem right to me...:shrug:

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Faults maybe

I'd contact the company you bought it from and send them the photo. I've never seen those before.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'd contact the company you bought it from and send them the photo. I've never seen those before.
I would not knowingly put that tire on my bike and I completely agree with Sandy

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I contacted Jake Wilson and they had me send them the pix. So Guess I'll
see what THEY say! Think I'll go back to a new Cobra! 13+K on it! Was a great tire until about 12.5 K...now a little skid-dish in the twisties.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm no tire expert but I mount my own tires (Cars and bikes) and it does not look right to me.

Jeff...

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Dan.just ask Jake to send you a return shipping label via email and send it back for a replacement.I have never seen this in a 709,and I've used many many of them.
I don't blame them at all.They aren't expect to mico inspect everything on their shelves before it's sent out.that would be easy to miss.
But:
It's nice to see that YOU inspect your tire(s) carefully before you have them mounted.:bow:

Not many do!.:22yikes:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan.just ask Jake to send you a return shipping label via email and send it back for a replacement.I have never seen this in a 709,and I've used many many of them.
I don't blame them at all.They aren't expect to mico inspect everything on their shelves before it's sent out.that would be easy to miss.
But:
It's nice to see that YOU inspect your tire(s) carefully before you have them mounted.:bow:

Not many do!.:22yikes:
Well, with ALL the tire threads of late, I thought it would be a good idea
to thoroughly inspect before the install. Glad I did! I do not blame JW at all by any means. Jake will be calling me tomorrow and am sure they will honor and send the return tag. By the way they have lowered their price on the 709 to $122.99 and raised the 704 to $171.99 They were 133.99 and 154.99....:shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Some type of chemical, solvent, welding spatter, dunno.

Something in shipment at some point damaged the tire.

Good that you looked at them. :thumbup:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some type of chemical, solvent, welding spatter, dunno.

Something in shipment at some point damaged the tire.

Good that you looked at them. :thumbup:
When I recieved it from JW it was all wrapped up, no way did it happen from Salt Lake to me but I agree...it feels and looks like it could of been some sort of weld
slag hopped on it somewhere. Where the holes are it is very smooth transition down to the cords. There is a lot of material missing from the inner liner to the
chord! I think people should start inspecting their new tires more before
install...might eliminate a potential disaster. I don't think this tire would last long.

·
DSI Keeper
9,185 Posts
danmac, I am guilty of not checking my tires before mounting, closely enough. Thanks for sharing what you found. I buy all my tires (fronts) from JW and am confident they will take care of you. Guess I better look closer at mine.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hope you have better luck than I did with the 709..Had a new one put on a few weeks ago..It wobbled from the start..dealer replaced it with a Dunlop...

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Hope you have better luck than I did with the 709..Had a new one put on a few weeks ago..It wobbled from the start..dealer replaced it with a Dunlop...

I take it you don't use that many tires.:shrug:

If you've been around and used different brands of tires long enough,Sooner or later you will get a defective tire and brand doesn't matter.
There are tons of defective tires posted here all the time.No tire brand is exempt.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jake Wilson is sending me a new tire today...Good service! I have never
had this happen so good to know their service after the sale is as good as their
shipping service. I will get it Friday! Hopefully this one will be void of problems! :cool:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I take it you don't use that many tires.:shrug:

If you've been around and used different brands of tires long enough,Sooner or later you will get a defective tire and brand doesn't matter.
There are tons of defective tires posted here all the time.No tire brand is exempt.
Take it anyway you would like...Must be I have been lucky then...I can not even count the number of tires I have burnt up in the last 40 years on bikes..And this was the first one I ever had that started wobbling with in the first mile...:shrug:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had a tire do the exact same thing (wobble immediately after install).

It was a Dunlop. Last one I ever bought.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It kinda looks like someone set their smoldering cigarettes on it and they burnt down a bit. Although I don't think a cigarette would get that hot. I'd still get a replacement.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
It kinda looks like someone set their smoldering cigarettes on it and they burnt down a bit. Although I don't think a cigarette would get that hot. I'd still get a replacement.

BINGO! Beat me to the punch. Those are cigarette burns, you can even see how they trail off toward where the butt of the cigarette was. Bridgestone does not wrap the tires so far as I know, I bet the one who wrapped it, zapped it.

prs

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BINGO! Beat me to the punch. Those are cigarette burns, you can even see how they trail off toward where the butt of the cigarette was. Bridgestone does not wrap the tires so far as I know, I bet the one who wrapped it, zapped it.

prs
It's a possibility!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts