GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Wingstock I followed a GL from Florida with very bright taillight bulbs. At first I thought they were the brakelights. He told me the brand and where he got them, but my heads a sieve. Anyone know what I am talking about?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Analysttom said:
At Wingstock I followed a GL from Florida with very bright taillight bulbs. At first I thought they were the brakelights. He told me the brand and where he got them, but my heads a sieve. Anyone know what I am talking about?
Yeah! Sure do know what you're talking about. I have CRS too and of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most. OH!... you mean about the lights :oops: Were they any chance the LED modules that are plug in replacements for the incandescent bulbs? Please post what they were when you figure it out. I'm interested too.
DC

·
Registered
115 Posts
High Intensity Stop and Tail Light Bulbs

I have used them for several years on my Concours. The bulbs I bought are sold by "Genuine Custom Chrome Motorcycle Accessories" and they replace the 1034 and 1157 bulbs. Ther are labeled "Double Filament 12 Volt Bulb" with a subtitle of "Hin Intensity Stop and Tail Light." They aren't cheap at about $6 each, but on a bike with a single tail light assembly like the Concours, they greatly increase the rear visibility. BTW, I found mine at the Manassas Harley Davidson dealer :lol:

Also, the label on the back of the package reads, "12-530 EA 'Super Bulb' HIGH INTENSITY TAILLIGHT STOPLIGHT BULB. 12V"

They are much brighter, I hope this helps you...

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
The rear bulbs are not 1157. They are 7443. I just had to replace one yesterday. I looked for the LED type but could not find them.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
Do you guys have a problem with dim taillights? I always thought they were already extremely bright the way they came from the factory. Maybe I am just impressed too easily.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taillights

No problem with dim tail lights, just never bright enough. Car drivers around here spend a lot of time not looking at what is stopped in front of them and consequently rear enders are common. I would like tail lights bright enough to ignite the dashbaord of a car that got within say 20 feet. That would give me an increased margin of safety (LOL) :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Re: Taillights

Analysttom said:
No problem with dim tail lights, just never bright enough. Car drivers around here spend a lot of time not looking at what is stopped in front of them and consequently rear enders are common. I would like tail lights bright enough to ignite the dashbaord of a car that got within say 20 feet. That would give me an increased margin of safety (LOL) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree. I also keep in mind that at night, your mind calculates the distance a vehicle is in front of you by the spacing between the taillights. If there is little or no other light to give perspective and there is only one taillight, (and pilots can attest to this) you have no accurate perception of the distance. That's why some bikers have been tailended on the interstate or dark roads at night. The bigger the rear end light pattern and the more unique it is, the better your chances of being seen. Never stop in the wheel tracks (left or right) of a vehicle in front of you as the person behind may think it's just two taillights and will hit you before realizing you are something behind that stopped vehicle. That's another vote for tapping the brakes or having a brake light modulator. It marks you as something other than the corner of the cage in front of you. :)

DC

·
Registered
2,305 Posts

Dream Catcher said:
your mind calculates the distance a vehicle is in front of you by the spacing between the taillights.
What about single tail light vehicles, like most motorcycles? How do you tell then?

I guess my brain works differently. I percieve distance to an object. If the distance is diminishing, the object is getting closer. The opposite if the distance is increasing.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

Wanderer said:
Dream Catcher said:
your mind calculates the distance a vehicle is in front of you by the spacing between the taillights.
What about single tail light vehicles, like most motorcycles? How do you tell then?

I guess my brain works differently. I percieve distance to an object. If the distance is diminishing, the object is getting closer. The opposite if the distance is increasing.
That's my point Wanderer. The part of my post about bikes getting hit out on the road. As a pilot, one thing I was taught, is that a single point of reference, like a wing tip light, can give you NO perception of how distant that light is. If you know what the thing is that is putting off the light, your mind will make an estimation of distance based on familiarity with that thing. IF you don't know what is there it becomes a question of "Is that a bright light, a long way off, or is it a small or dim light very near me?" You cannot tell how far you are from another airplane if you can only see one wingtip light. I agree with you about perceiving variations of distance. The problem is that you cannot determine relative velocities until the other vehicle is pretty close, and that may be too late. If you are out on a dark road and see a small dim red light way out there you will have to watch it very closely to determine your relative velocities. Your mind may see it as something very far away and you don't give it all your attention. Then you suddenly realize it's a dim single bulb taillight and you're almost on top of it. I've come up on small cars with taillights relatively close together and been surprised because I thought they were a larger vehicle farther away. I'm sure diferent folks have different levels of ability when it comes to perceiving "closing rates" and maybe you have a better sense of that than me. I just have to relate to my pilot training and experiences in "dark country" in the service. Any way you look at it though, our discussing it may put the seed of thought into some riders who haven't considered the subject before. Thanks for the response. :) :)
DC

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
DC,

I'm not a pilot but can understand what you're saying about flying. There are no trees or road surface for you to judge your own velocity or other craft - part of the reason you pilots get instrument rated and can fly with canopy covers on.

Each of us is different although we think everyone is like us. The way you perceive distance was an interesting read for me. As I mentioned before, my brain does it differently. Even if a light is dim or bright, my brain sees it as either staying the same distance away, getting closer or getting farther away. I can be pretty far away from another vehicle and still "see" the differing relative distances. As you are well aware, the main thing is to be observant and don't let your attention wander.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts

I certainly won't try and convince anyone who feels they need brighter lights otherwise, but this seems like trying to solve a problem that doesn't need fixing. I doubt there is any other bike out there that has taillights that are anywhere near as visible as the four taillights on the Wings.

From what I have read over the years, rear enders aren't even enough of a problem to get a mention in motorcycle accident statistics. Rear enders are not typically caused by distance perception or visibility anyway. They are caused by failure to yield enough distance between the two vehicles and not paying attention. Brighter taillights won't solve that. If they aren't looking where they are going, I doubt that brighter taillights are going to matter.

·
Registered
2004 Goldwing 1800GL
87 Posts
Analysttom said:
Could this be what your original post was about? :idea:

http://superlumination.com/7443_7440.htm

Hope this helps. 8)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks

Thanks Lou, those are the items. Locally we have had 2 friends hit from behind recently. One is back riding after a few months of pain. The other is paralyzed from the waist down. I don't know for sure that brighter lights and a modulator will help, but I am sure they won't hurt.
Tom
:)

·
Registered
2004 Goldwing 1800GL
87 Posts
Re: thanks

Analysttom said:
Thanks Lou, those are the items. Locally we have had 2 friends hit from behind recently. One is back riding after a few months of pain. The other is paralyzed from the waist down. I don't know for sure that brighter lights and a modulator will help, but I am sure they won't hurt.
Tom
:)
Your Welcome!

I have not bought these yet. If anyone has tried them I would sure like some feeback because that is one upgrade I will do immediately if they produce more visibility.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they work

I can attest to the fact that they do work. The bike I was following was so bright I thought he had his brakes on, until he hit the brakes. I am going to get some.

·
Registered
2004 Goldwing 1800GL
87 Posts
Re: they work

Analysttom said:
I can attest to the fact that they do work. The bike I was following was so bright I thought he had his brakes on, until he hit the brakes. I am going to get some.
Please let me know which led bulbs you choose replaces the matching stock bulb.
I'm being lazy here... :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
That link has 18 different styles of bulbs, which one is the recomended one?

Pete

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
After looking at Banjo's site I was broke. I would think the white ones would work the best. Our lens are already colored. I might try these. I like the fact that they dray less current than stock. Somebody do a chart comparing the stock bulbs amp draw VS the Led amp draw. I am too retarded to do that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts