GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking my bike out my gate and struck the left mirror. The mirror broke from the mount. There is a keeper washer and a spring mounted on a post. The keeper washer came off. Went to my local Dealer and they don 't sale the part ! They said I would need to buy the whole mirror for $249! I think I can fix it myself. Anybody know any secrets to this issue? Help!

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
Good time to make your bike safer. MUTH mirrors

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Good time to make your bike safer. MUTH mirrors
Sounds like the whole thing broke off???

Sent from my iPhone

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
I had a welder do the pot metal part that broke - 3 yrs n still going strong ! Havent found anything that he cant weld ! ALSO CHECK FLEABAY THEY HAVE CHINESE TAKEOFF THAT MITE WORK (DEPENDS ON PART YA NEED .) GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you're talking about the clip washer that holds the spring down on the mounting post I used an old
radiator hose clamp that you expand with pliers.

Barnes

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks guys! Barney, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I bought some snap rings and they seem too wide for the groove, so back to the auto parts store

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
That exact thing happened to a friends wing while on a trip to Colorado. We checked auto parts and hardware stores. Not one place had the correct clip washer. The nearest honda dealer said they don't sell just the washer. That spring is really strong. I'm not sure a hose clamp could hold it compressed past the groove.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Didn't use just any Hose Clamp.

Used an old style spring clamp that has ears that you have to use plires to open it up.
They are very strong clamps made from about 1/8 to 3/16 in. spring steel.

Put in in the groove on the post and there is no way they will come off.

Barney

Haven't seen any for a while. They used to be on lots of cars instead of the screw type.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a washer and an external c clip. Seems to be working for now, but it doesn't feel as tight as the other. I know the clamp you are talking about. I went to Harbor Freight and could not fin d any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I hit a turkey buzzard and broke the right mirror off, --I went back and picked it up and remarkably the glass was intact. A member here sent me his mirror assembly, sans glass, and I just swapped out the internals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts