GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up this AM & temp was -1. Coldest i'd ridden before was mid-teens, which i'd done several times before. I said aha, an opportunity.
Got dressed, motorcycle started easy in my unheated garage, & i rode 30 miles before returning home. My face got cold, but everything else was warm.
Gear i wore.
3/4 open face helmet, baklava(sp) & neck warmer
Med. weight sweat shirt over bare skin, Gerbing jkt liner, leather jkt w liner
Gerbing glove liners under ski gloves
long john pants,fleece lined jeans & 1st Gear H2O lined over pants
wool socks & Cruiserworks boots.
Last time it was this cold in my neighborhood was in 1982 when it was -5 dgs.. Only had the Gerbings cranked up 1/2 way.
Weather was clear,dry, no wind, no traffic, & bright sunshine.
Good ride.
happy trails,
the hobo

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hobo,

I did the same thing - left Greensboro (8 degrees) at 5:15am and rode up to Martinsville Va., where the temp was also -1. My trip lasted about 4 hours, with a stop in Martinsville for breakfast, and another shortly after when my faceshield fogged, then froze! It was interesting!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hobo,

I did the same thing - left Greensboro (8 degrees) at 5:15am and rode up to Martinsville Va., where the temp was also -1. My trip lasted about 4 hours, with a stop in Martinsville for breakfast, and another shortly after when my faceshield fogged, then froze! It was interesting!
Were you by yourself? Maybe sometime when I'm not working we can get together and do a ride. Hard to get folks to ride after the temp gets below 50F. I usually like to ride up through Martinsville myself.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
spring soon

I just leave mine on the tender with a tank full of gas and stabil
and fresh oil in the crankcase and let her sit till warmer days.. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts