GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least for me. 4 degrees.

But I must say that after my 63 mile commute to DC that my fingers were so cold that I couldn't unstrap my helmet. LOL

Don't think I wanna do that again.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That is very cold and very far in the very cold.

My personal best was -10F, but only for about 15 miles. I was on a 1976 Suzuki TS-400 wearing snowmobiling gear.

No know you are too cold when you have to unzip your leather jacket with a pair of pliers. That happened on a 305 Dream in a 180 mile snow storm back in 1966.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
At least for me. 4 degrees.

But I must say that after my 63 mile commute to DC that my fingers were so cold that I couldn't unstrap my helmet. LOL

Don't think I wanna do that again.
That is my new record too!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I don't think the pistons will go up and down (or in and out) on my GL1800 at 4F. ...:eek:4:

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
RODE WITH JACKET TODAY !!! 82 :bow::bow:;)

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I'm sorry, but riding at low temps like that just doesn't make any sense to me. What's the point.
Myself, I ride for the enjoyment of riding. If I'm not enjoying the ride, why do it?
Yeah, I ride to work, so that's not REALLY enjoyment....:lol:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The coldest ride I seen this year was 16 degrees.. and thats nothing on the wing. I rode my old 750 in +25f and froze my butt off!!

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
WAS 28 IN TX WHEN I WENT THRU THERE - HEATED JACKET N GLOVES - MY KNEES WERE ACHING !! JUST HAD JEANS ON . BOUGHT HEATED PANTS ON FORUM AND THEY BEAT ME HOME :thumbup: BE READY NEXT TIME !!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Coldest for me was 7* in the central mountains of Arizona several November's ago. I didn't have the 1800 then, but my trusty 2001 Triumph Thunderbird 900cc. The only protection I had from that frigid blast of winter air was the front windscreen, with layered thermals.

90 minutes of pure riding enjoyment...not! :eek:4:

- David

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Mid-20s on a couple of the Death Valley rides - first thing in the morning, but by the time you get to the valley, you're 10 to 15 degrees warmer on a ~25 mile ride.

In my 20's, I did ride an unfaired bike to work - in fact, two wheels was my only commuter transportation for ten years. I do recall some days that I would just call in and let them know I'd be a couple of hours late, just to let things warm up just a bit.

I probably have the gear now that I could do mid-20's tank-to-tank, but I'd stop a while after filling to thaw out a bit.

Don't need to worry about this for a few months, though. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
About 15 years ago, when I first began riding, I rode to work every day ... only 2 miles ... one morning at 10 F. the engine oil froze up .... yup ... really. I was riding my first bike, a little CM400A Honda. The crankcase was full of a mixture of water and oil, thanks to too many short trips in cold weather. The slush in the engine couldn't circulate and pushed out through the rubber valve cover gasket ... went all over the exhaust pipes and my legs ... big mess. After an oil change the bike was just fine ... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Cold Riding

That's why I spend the winters in Florida. I only ride in the cold weather if I'm on the road and it gets cold. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sorry, but riding at low temps like that just doesn't make any sense to me. What's the point.
Myself, I ride for the enjoyment of riding. If I'm not enjoying the ride, why do it?
Yeah, I ride to work, so that's not REALLY enjoyment....:lol:
Well, I use my two bikes strictly as commuting vehicles. By riding them, it allows me to take advantage of the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes, which saves me approximately 30-60 minutes in my afternoon commutes AND parking is a darn lot cheaper for motorcycles up in DC.

I've commuted back and forth to DC about 10 years now on the bikes, and I also get enjoyment out of riding them at the same time. I also have the cold weather gear needed as well as all the air wings. Before next winter though, I will be looking at new gloves, but other than that, I was fine, even driving home in an afternoon snow storm one day a week or so ago.

I'm impressed with all the replies, I thought I was the only crazy one in the winter time LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cold weather riding

That's why I spend the winters in Florida. I only ride in the cold weather if I'm on the road and it gets cold. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry
Just sold my 2003 GL 1800 end of Feb. drove to West Virginia to pick up a new FJR 1300A from Romney Cycles, dropped off the rental car and the weather was in the low teen's on to Barber's Museum, Leeds Alabama. First 500 miles was very hard, the electric vest & gloves helped as well as the winter Sidi foot wear. Sorry to depart with the wing, but wanted a change.

ED
AMA
GWRRA
Polarbear GrandTour
IBA

·
Registered
924 Posts
thats cold alright...I have driven in snow probably 14F but I had good heated gear so it was just my face that was a bit cold.....full face helmet bearly open to keep it from fogging up.

jer

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Left the house several times with temps in teens. I was as comfortable as in my pickup. It's called heated clothing guys. :roll: A few hundred bucks and you can be covered from neck to end of your ties. I refused to let Mother Nature dictate when I could go riding.

·
Registered
401 Posts
me too

Left the house several times with temps in teens. I was as comfortable as in my pickup. It's called heated clothing guys. :roll: A few hundred bucks and you can be covered from neck to end of your ties. I refused to let Mother Nature dictate when I could go riding.
:agree:
I ride all the time. And being in the rockies sometimes it's cold. I have been out to the store or gym or {where ever} in sub-zero weather. I try not to ride on the snow, but have been caught many times. The coldest where I actually paid attention was a few years ago in January at -25*. But 20 minutes later, as the sun came up, when I got to work it was just above zero :cool:.
...gene

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have ridden my snowmobile at 40 below. However, I have the gear for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts