GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I hope the pics come through. A couple of days while polishing my 2012 GL1800 I noticed the piece in the pics was loose, it's part of the front fender. At the moment that I was polishing her I thought it was a loose a bolt or two. After further investigation I found what you see in the pics, both bolts/screws are missing and it appears that the mounting tabs have broken off too. I have no idea where the bolts/screws are. I only bought this bike a little over a month ago and purchased a 2 year extended warranty at the same time. I have a couple of questions; 1) what could have caused this? 2) do you think the extended warranty will cover the replacement of the parts? I haven't called the dealer from whom I purchased the wing, just trying to get a feel for what I can expect from the dealer. Thanks, Roger

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
For coverage, you'll have to check your policy.

Probably something has hit the bottom part of the back part of the front fender. Possibly a front tire chalk during transportation.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Possibly hitting a pot hole that caught the fender and caused the break. Or something between the wheel and fender causing the fender to flex to the breaking point. Whatever it was that broke those parts, it is going to be pricey to replace them.

I discovered a broken lower bolt attachment point between the caliper cover and the fender on one of my fenders and a cracked upper attachment point. Luckily I did not lose the parts. I was able to repair is using some Plastaid https://www.plast-aid.com/

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
You're looking at about $200 repair. Rear part of front fender and caliper cover and associated hardware. The only problem would be color matching the caliper cover.
Make sure the right side didn't sustain any hidden damage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're looking at about $200 repair. Rear part of front fender and caliper cover and associated hardware. The only problem would be color matching the caliper cover.
Make sure the right side didn't sustain any hidden damage.

After looking online for replacement parts, I quickly learned that they are pricey, but that's with anything motorized these days. As for the right side, I didn't see any damage. I looked for the early signs like spiderweb of the caliper cover area and I didn't see any, it as only to the left side. I am hopeful that I'll have time tomorrow to call my dealer and see what he has to offer. I'll report back with the results, positive or negative. Roger

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Could be a bird strike. I hit an owl one night and even a small one can cause a lot of broken tabs and cracks at 60mph.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I suspect it was like that when you purchased it, isn't that a piece of filler at the bottom off the crack?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suspect it was like that when you purchased it, isn't that a piece of filler at the bottom off the crack?

I hope what you see as filler is only a shadow from the camera flash, the lighting wasn't the best. I didn't see any signs of filler when I took the pics but I wasn't looking for it either. I'll have to take a closer look for any signs of past repair. Roger

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I hope what you see as filler is only a shadow from the camera flash, the lighting wasn't the best. I didn't see any signs of filler when I took the pics but I wasn't looking for it either. I'll have to take a closer look for any signs of past repair. Roger
I think you may be correct, it looks like filler in your second photo but more like rubber on the first one. Apologies for worrying you. :surprise:

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
You are probably correct. The only thing almost everyone can count on when they buy a used Wing is that they are clean and shinny. Most sellers will say they are "well cared for," and that they were "always garage kept." In many cases it also means that the owners is not sharing "the rest of the story."

Well cared for means that it was cleaned and shinned often. As for maintenance, it also means that it got oil changes, brakes, and tires when needed. As for all the other maintenance ... "what other maintenance."

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I blame it on the fender extension I had on it. Replaced it, no extension, no problems since. Happened at about 40k. I check as many nuts, bolts, screws as I can every time I wash it, still miss a few.:serious:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I have seen fender extensions causing this
Yeah, that was me.
I thought years back I tried two different fender extensions and replace the lower front fender twice.

I also remember the parts were ridiculous expensive from Honda and on-line too.

When the Honda dealership set up my '012, I had them order Honda's fender extension.
That one had a warranty from Honda as long it's installed by the dealer.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I never liked the fender extenders available out there. Too many reports of fender cracks. However I like the idea of extending the rear part of the front fender.
On my 2005 I made my own extender out of 5/16 reinforced belting. I attached it with Goop adhesive. It lasted 115,000 miles and 13 years before I bought my newest GL1800. No damage and no issues. I mounted the same on my present Wing.
About $12 and perfect protection from road splash on the engine. And because it's Black, it's hardly noticed.

Corventure Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
A lot of the cracks on the front fenders are caused by over tightening the bolts, especially the ones on the tabs. Once the crack starts it will migrate and cause more damage. I have had a Extenda fender on my 2004 and now my 2012. Never had a problem, over 75000 miles total, but this is probably the lightest weight extension made.
BTW, when I bought my 2012, the caliper cover was cracked and one of the tabs was already broken on the fender. Dealer found it during the first brake recall. Honda actually replaced it under warranty.

Hand tighten only til it stops!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts