GL1800Riders Forums banner

Broken Bones

12K views 42 replies 37 participants last post by  keysyrider 
#1 ·
Alright it's winter, cold and nasty out can't ride, so whadaya gonna do?? If you ever seen the scene from the old movie Jaws where Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss try to 1 up each others injuries scars etc. you get the picture. BTW this is not necessarily just motorcycle but all kinds of past injuries throughout the years.

Previous broken bones: Broken neck
Broken middle finger left hand
Broken left forearm
Broken ribs left side
Broken toes four right foot
Broken left tibia
Broken left fibula
Broken left ankle
Torn ligament right ankle
Cut tendons left hand
1/2" scar right eyebrow
Temple area scars from halo brace
2" scar cut on top of left hand
1" scar edge of left hand
3" scar left bicep cut
Surgery scars left leg from knee down to ankle numerous

See less See more
#3 ·
Broken ribs
broken toes
motocross and ice racing related

Burns and alot of cuts and stitches-work related
disc's in back and neck-work related, soon to be surgery:eek:4:

surgeries below

Tonsils, appendix, cancer, kidney stones, dam they hurt

#5 ·
I think Riff Raff almost made the top of the list in one shot!

I've been real lucky, bone removed from left foot (auxiliary navicular), right heal (soft tissue) cut off by rear spokes of a Honda 50 (also severed 2/3 of Achilles tendon) at age 12, left knee soft tissue ground to the kneecap sliding down Folly Beach Road median with a 650 Triumph chopper on top of me, small cut to bone left of my nose from a flange dropping on it, ~2" scar in scalp from smacking a padeye welded into the overhead of the engineroom at prototype, light scar still in palm of left hand from head of a nail running through it as a big crate was being lowered into a sub in drydock, never broke a bone. Most of my injuries were in the 70's when I was in the Navy and bullet-proof. The scar where I fired a 10 penny nail through a finger in September is fading rapidly. All of the scars to my forehead from the many times I have smacked it on things have fadded out. I do have a tooth that had to be repaired for a second time last week due to me hitting myself in the mouth with a hammer (pulling a nail). I am quite a clutz.

#6 ·
I've been luckier than some of you. All I've had is:
Broken leg
Broken ankle
Broken Collar bone
Broken both wrists (same accident)
Big toe dislocated to center of foot.
All except the leg was motorcycle related and I was able to ride home even with broken bones, but was a crazy kid at the time. My parents used to joke every Sunday we'd be going to the clinic.:lol: Broken wrists and collar bone was not all that bad. The leg is a pain in the $$$$. Dislocated toes on the feet are *not* a good thing, thust me.
29 yrs since the last broken bone.

#8 ·
Broken left wrist
Scrape on left knee from sliding down the pavement - MC related
Broken ribs, right and left side
Large scar on right knee from falling over tree stump and landing on a broken coke bottle - age 5 yrs.
Large scar on left knee - total left knee replacement
Scar on top of head where I ran into some barbed wire
scar on right leg - hatchet accident
scars on finger of left hand
scars on abdomin from many surgeries
scars on toes from MC accident
scar on left temple from skin cancer
scar on hand from fileting rabbits - lol
and the list goes on...............

#10 ·
1-broken nose
2-broken bones in face
3-2 broken bones in rt wrist
4-broken rt ancle
5-5 broken bones on rt foot
6-torn ligs. in rt ankle
7-5 broken fingers
8-6 broken toes
9-44 total stiches
10-seperated left shoulder
11-2 broken ribs
12-tonsils out twice,lol
13-

#12 ·
Odd to see this topic , since I have been in a cast on my right foot since October of 2008 . Broken foot and torn tendons , it put a end to my riding season early , talk about PMS. Two more weeks and it comes off , cant wait.

#13 ·
Minor skull FX above left eye
Minor skul FX above right eye
Right Shoulder Rebuild
Left Shoulder Rebuild
Minor FX to neck, C4-C5
Minor stroke in occipital lobe of brain due to hyper-extension of neck and closing off of carotid arteries
Left front upper tooth replaced with artificial tooth
Left hand, across palm, re-attach nerves and blood vessels
Left wrist carpel tunnel surgery to alleviate pressure on vessels
Minor FX lower back, L4 thru S1 with synovial cyst and disk compression
Right knee medial meniscus tear
Right large toe, tip avulsed

None due to motorcycles, almost all work related.

#14 ·
geeezzzzz.........What are you guys, stunt actors in action films, or come from the school of hard knocks??? :superman1:

I hope you sent your kids to medical school...........:frown:

#15 ·
Me and my brother in law had a stiches thing going. I quit at 250 something and he's still going.:shrug:

In a two year stretch between 8th and 10th grade, my youngest boy had:
cracked ribs
cracked ribs
bruised ribs
busted ribs
busted ribs
torn hand ligament
concussion
concussion
broken leg
broken arm
broken arm
broken arm (rebreak)

#16 ·
Good Lord I see why insurance companies are scared of bike riders. I've got over 200,000 miles on my bikes and have had only one trip to the hospital due to a bike injury. I was run over by a drunk a few years ago and suffered only a few broken ribs and a really sore back for a week or two.

Now for other scars or operations
1 triple bypass in 2001
2 left shoulder surgery back in the 70s
3 six knee operations dating back to the 70s with both now replaced.
4 broken right upper arm (actually broke the ball off the arm that goes into the sholder socket). This will require a replacement surgery one day soon.

Countless cuts adn stiches growing up along with broken nose

#17 ·
I hope I am not about to poison myself but here goes. I have been riding for over 40 years and have NEVER had an accident. Make that zero broken bones for me. I'm sure there are others out there that are afraid to put it in print due to Murphy's law. I just could not let this go on with folks thinking that riding bike is a prelude to multiple broken bones.

#18 ·
On June 1st of last year I slammed into a deer at 70 mph on the highway with no reaction time at all. I broke 3 bones (compound) in my right leg and 3 bones in my left hand. I slid 200 feet trapped under my bike and then tumbled another 100 feet down the middle of the highway. My helmet absolutely saved my life. Helmets do save lives and prevent life altering brain injuries.

#20 ·
Can I join the club?

Been shot by an idiot, 30 cals hurt!

M/C stuff
Broke back two places, found out when I woke up in the ER!
Concusion, helmet slammed by wind screen
Broke right big toe, big dog, tougher then steel toes!
Broke ribs-3. why I quit dirt riding
Broke rt. ankle forgot to put kickstand down at gas station. whosers!

Other stuff NON M/C
too many broke fingers to mention. lost count
Broke ribs, ladder collasped

Needed:
Brain surgery to find out what's wrong :)

Ride Free,
Bobalou

#22 ·
lol wow!

I myself have never broken anything, or torn, or anything really. I've only been to the ER once and that was because I was dehydrated and had tachecardia (fast heartbeat)...but 2 IV bags later, I was brand new and outta there.

#23 ·
8 stiches on left palm= fell on a old style coffee can in pool (7 yrs old)

10 stiches over left eye.= got in fight at school, won fight but turned around to gloat and my opponet heaved a rock that hit me in the head
(9 years old)

Removed tonsils <sp> (10 years old)

10 stiches on chin= delivering newspapers, handle bar brace broke on bike
(15 years old)

Broken collar bone= riding a Honda 305 on snow covered roads and hit a tree. Yea, I Know:wrong: (18 years old)

Eye surgury to remove steel chips that went under safety glasses while operating a cold cutting shear at the steel mill. (21 years old)

Broken nose= Ran my 1967 Impala SS 396 off the road and into a house.
(24 years old)

31 stiches on top of head= hit with pool cue at the local pub. Not even involved in fight, wrong place wrong time.:eek:4: ( 27 years old)

Broke both wrists, tailbone and 5 bones in right hand= fell off of a flat bed trailer while tarping load. ( 30 years old)

5 stiches on left nostril to reattach it to face and 8 stiches to repair lower lip where teeth cut thru= riding a Honda Big Red 3 wheeler, going up steep hill and it rolled over onto my head, (was wearing a helmet, but not a full face) (about 35 years old)

9 microdysectomies<sp> on L4 S5 (I think) between 1995 and 2001)

Spinal fusion with problem disc being removed and a prosthetic disc and various screws and turnbuckels installed. (2001)

Devolped kidney stone while on a ride. Treated in ER at hospital in Hannibal,MO. Rode home without passing it. 4 days later, got a temp of 104 and rushed to hospital to have it surgically removed and treat a severe infection the stone caused. (2008)

Devolped a severe case of celluitis. Left leg and foot swelled big time. 4 days in hospital on high doses of antibotics. (2008)

I give up:shrug:

#25 ·
Based on your lists, some of you guys must really look like hell by now.
:eek:4: :22yikes:

I'm just glad to hear that you're all still with us to tell your stories. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.