GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys need help with removal of bolts left in exhaust after trying to remove flange bolts to exchange exhaust tips. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Oem exhaust ends are removed I now need to remove the remainder of the flange bolts left in exhaust ends after snapping off the heads. I tried drilling and using an extractor and broke the extractor tip in one of the fasteners. Thanks

Rayman

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rayman - Tough one! I've had great luck removing broken fasteners (including those with broken extractors) with a wire feed welder. If you don't have access to one, find someone who does that knows how to use it. I set the welder on "kill" and weld directly to the broken piece in short bursts until there is a short "nub" sticking up - then grab a nut and place it over the nub and let 'er have it with the welder. Have the correct size wrench ready and get on it while it's still almost orange and gently start working it. If the nut or weld breaks off - just do it again. I have removed fasteners that were even broken well below the surface this way, sometimes making several attempts before success. Actually, can't remember ever NOT being able to get one out this way. Good Luck!

·
Chard Member
13,218 Posts
If it's actually the mufflers tip bolts you broke and not exhaust flange bolts, I'd recommend removing the mufflers. I'd then take them to someone who knows what they are doing to remove the broken bolts.

If you want to do the work yourself it's a lot easier to do with the mufflers off.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey, John Rossington, that sounds like a great way to handle it. I'm about to extract a broken one form the exhaust on a Suzuki GS-1100G and I think I'll give that a try. :) Have you had any trouble with overheating the aluminum if it's a bolt coming out of an aluminum head?
DC

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Dream Catcher said:
Hey, John Rossington, that sounds like a great way to handle it. I'm about to extract a broken one form the exhaust on a Suzuki GS-1100G and I think I'll give that a try. :) Have you had any trouble with overheating the aluminum if it's a bolt coming out of an aluminum head?
DC
NO you will NOT overheat the alum. the heat helps break the bolt/stud loose...chuck...you can tap it with a small hammer also while HOT!!! once it starts moving dont stop!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
broken bolts

I have had real good luck with broken bolt removal. Drill a small hole as close to the middle of the bolt, Now get some reverse drill bits, Start just a bit bigger then the hole you have already drilled, Get bigger bit if you go all the way thru. Using the reverse drills will heat the bolt and when the bit get stuck a little it most of the time just turns the bolt right out of the hole.

Tinwacker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.