GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered my lower left frame rail (tube) is cracked as many others on this forum have previous found.

I'm concerned welding this break may not provide a longterm solution.

I'd really appreciate knowing if any of you have experienced this and have addressed the issue by having a qualified individual repair via welding.

What I really want to know has these weld repairs held up down the road.

Comments anyone?

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Is it cracked in one (or more) place(s) that so many GL1800 frames have cracked? If so Honda should provide relief. I recommend that you check with at least one Honda dealer as this could affect safety.

I just discovered my lower left frame rail (tube) is cracked as many others on this forum have previous found.

I'm concerned welding this break may not provide a longterm solution.

I'd really appreciate knowing if any of you have experienced this and have addressed the issue by having a qualified individual repair via welding.

What I really want to know has these weld repairs held up down the road.

Comments anyone?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
We have a LOCAL welder here whom builds custom race car frames and ships them everywhere. He has welded several for us BUT he is NOT CHEAP but he IS GOOD. We strip it down to where he wants it and deliver it to his shop. Usually takes him about a week to repair and add extra gussets. So for a little less than a grand is what we get done and NONE have failed in 3 years so far.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
If it has a Trike Kit on it GOOD LUCK,,,,,,,:eek:4:
George,
That will undoubtedly be Honda's first response and you can't blame the company for it. However, if the crack is in the same place that has already been recognized by Honda as faulty, I think the company can be persuaded to make a goodwill gesture and repair or replace it. Broken frames can undoubtedly present danger to riders and other traffic and the NHTSA is aware that Honda has had this problem...
It might take a letter, or three, from an attorney but I don't think Honda will stonewall very long if indeed the crack in question is similar and similarly located to those on un-accessorized GL1800s.
My advice is to suspend discussion of the matter publicly while exploring the issue with a top line Honda dealership service manager and perhaps ultimately with the Honda field service representative.
B..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys.

The rig is a 2008 CSC Trike on my 2004 GL. A local dealer had previously told me this GL was not in the recalls published by Honda. However, I've discovered the only recalls Honda has issued were for cross members. The lower frame tube has never been acknowledged by Honda via a recall. They apparently replace the frame if this particular break is found and the owner yells loud enough.... if the bike hasn't been triked, side-cared, or pulled a trailer.

Honda changed the frame design slightly in the 2005-06 time frame by beefing up several bosses and the lower tubes. I'm a little vague on exactly what was done or when but apparently all frames sold now will be the newer version to help deal with this particular break and other areas of the rear support triangle.

I only have one area with a hairline crack that is visible and it's below the battery box rear of the main frame boss.

I was considering buying a frame at my expense and doing the swap myself. I've been wrenching bikes for over fifty years and I'm confident I can do this but... I ain't lookin' forward to it. I would prefer to just get it welded by some alum TIG pro "if" this actually takes care of the problem.

There's a lot of talk on the forum that welding isn't an acceptable solution... but this talk appears to reflect opinions rather than fact. I've not found a single statement from anyone stating a weld had failed but recognize that doesn't mean they haven't.

This post has identified my first observation that welding can be successful. Thanks EarnhardtSPortsman. Question: Do you know if these repairs were on the lower tubes or the cross members?

If others reading this post know of any related facts which could further shed light on the subject, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers....

·
Registered
643 Posts
GhostRider,

The 2002 bike I own was in the first recall and sent for inspection, then in 2009 was recalled again and sent to Marysville (6 week ordeal), because the dealership's outside vendor welder didn't do the welds to Honda specs. I was not the owner at the time and don't know any of the details other than the previous owner was quite upset he had to be without his bike during riding season of 2009 for 6 weeks. However, I assume from your posting that if my frame was a factory replacement in 2009, just prior to the GW plant going back to Japan, I have the new stronger frame? They also replaced all the pivot and steering bearings too. It now has 90K on the odometer but rides like a new bike. Although with all that done, maybe it should?:shrug:

Regards,

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
All have been on the lower rails and all but the one in this picture were in the same place as yours.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
We haven't seen a broken crossmember come through our shop yet?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All have been on the lower rails and all but the one in this picture were in the same place as yours.
Yes sir... that's the one. Mine isn't that bad yet but there will be no more riding until the thing is fixed. I'm on the trail of a highly acclaimed TIG welder who has been repairing GL's since the beginning. I'll start tearing mine down this weekend to get this show on the road.

With your input and several from those I know in the business I will be welding this beast. There's some good technical arguments for why you shouldn't but the truth is I haven't read one post where a proper weld has failed.

I put heat in the garage last winter but didn't need it. I sure don't need it now but that's another story....

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Might give the tecks at CSC a call. When I was looking at their kit, I asked about broken frames and they knew of a couple and they were welded and working fine, at that time. They might have some one close to u that they would recommend.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
GhostRider. Give Toolboxjunky a shout. He had his welded some time ago and I think it has been fine since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
broken frame tubes

I have a 2002 GL 1800 with a 2008 motor trike kit, Last two weeks bike didn't seem to ride normal, after jacking up and slidding under found both lower tubes broken and seperated 1 inch or so. Been talking to the dealer I bought it from they are going to try and figure out what may of caused the frame to snap. After spending a few hours on these forum I find that some other bikers are having te same problem. I am not happy and have no plans to pay for this. like you all we didn't spend 25,ooo or so for these expensive repairs.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Let us know the outcome as you have a bike that has a known frame issue. We did a MT that had both sides broken. All other brands just seem to have the battery side broke. The above picture of the right side was on an 01 2 wheeler.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Let us know the outcome as you have a bike that has a known frame issue. We did a MT that had both sides broken. All other brands just seem to have the battery side broke. The above picture of the right side was on an 01 2 wheeler.
Frame breaks and cracks are not exclusive to Goldwings that have had trike kits installed. I don't know the percentage but the number is high enough that the dealership should have known about it even if yours was the first GL1800 that had passed through it's lot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
TIEG welding

I had a break in my 01 trike and when i spoke with the local Honda dealer they said that EVERY one of their bikes that had a frame crack / break was sent to a local TIEG welder. Managed to locate the guy and from speaking with him it seems to be that as Honda builds the GL1800 in the USA it was found that there was an issue with some welds 9 whether they be man welded or machine)
Anyway we braced the frame up and welded it all back together and then added a couple of small brackets to be on the same side... So far there has NOT been any sign of stress anywhere else...
Couldnt do a flux test for stress fractures as no one here has that Equipment but i do tend to keep an eye on that area more so than other areas.
Some of it (cracks) might have something to do with the geometry of the 3 wheels VS the 2 wheels in that the 3 wheels hit ojects at diff times and flex the frame more than the normal GL does..

But im betting that if you can find a good TIEG welder that he will be able to re weld that crack with no problem...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I had a break in my 01 trike and when i spoke with the local Honda dealer they said that EVERY one of their bikes that had a frame crack / break was sent to a local TIEG welder. Managed to locate the guy and from speaking with him it seems to be that as Honda builds the GL1800 in the USA it was found that there was an issue with some welds 9 whether they be man welded or machine)
Anyway we braced the frame up and welded it all back together and then added a couple of small brackets to be on the same side... So far there has NOT been any sign of stress anywhere else...
Couldnt do a flux test for stress fractures as no one here has that Equipment but i do tend to keep an eye on that area more so than other areas.
Some of it (cracks) might have something to do with the geometry of the 3 wheels VS the 2 wheels in that the 3 wheels hit ojects at diff times and flex the frame more than the normal GL does..

But im betting that if you can find a good TIEG welder that he will be able to re weld that crack with no problem...
If there were some way to figure the percentages, I would say there is a much greater percentage of breakages on two wheelers than trikes. I have read of very few trikes with the problem and even fewer with IRS.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Is this area visible by just pulling the side cover over the battery or does other covers need to be removed also??

1 - 20 of 47 Posts