GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
18,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this email:

Greg, ... couldn’t figure out how to send a picture any other way. This 2002 ABS Motor Trike with a broken frame needs to be fixed. It’s broken on both sides! Just under the battery and same place on the right side. Gap is about 1” at the break. Bike has about 50K miles. Can’t be driven, as the drive shaft has pulled apart. Is there anything you can do to help?

·
Vendor
18,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bill, the one asking the question above was doing it for a friend. He'd also indicated the Motortrike had a way to repair it. The only repair that I'm aware of is when their drive shaft breaks, and it damages the cross braces. In this case I know of only 2 repairs. The first is to replace the frame and the second is to transfer the trike kit onto another Wing. My recommendation is to transfer the trike kit and here's why.

To replace the frame means to transfer all parts to a new frame. One of those parts, the main harness is littered with crimps that sometimes fail. There are basically 2 parts that will eventually end the life of 5th gen older Wings. Their transmission, and their main harness. The main harness literally gets pulled and tugged on when pulling it between the cross braces of a new frame. If a new frame was installed, one could get all done and end up with electrical problems that were not there prior to the frame transfer. Old harnesses are stiff and not as forgiving like they are when new, and new harnesses from 2001-03s are no longer available. Therefore, one could get and then deal with expensive electrical issues.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If and I mean If someone was to fix this, there would be liability for the fixer. No way to certify the frame as per the manufacture certification.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
IronMan
17,864 Posts
SHOVE AN ALUMINUM ROD IN EACH SIDE AND PUT "SOME" JB WELD ON IT ! :)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I'm gonna go with Gorilla Glue and some sheetrock screws and she'll be right as rain. ;) But you gotta use the good sheetrock screws from Lowes, not those Harbor Freight ones.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Duct Tape?

🤔

Joe T.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Uncle John, you are a hoot, true that JB Weld is magic. :rolleyes:
Hey Uncle John, helped save my life a few years ago, while in Va. at a car tire rally...........(thanks again John)

Ronnie

·
Vendor
18,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Vendor
18,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If and I mean If someone was to fix this, there would be liability for the fixer. No way to certify the frame as per the manufacture certification.
Yes ... repairing the frame comes with huge liability issues, and most shops are not that hungry to take on that risk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts