GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left rear storage box has a broken hinge, one of the small plastic pivots has broken off. To replace it would mean replacing the entire plastic housing that the hinge attaches to. Does anyone have a homemade fix for this? Can I fabricate something that can work? Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My left rear storage box has a broken hinge, one of the small plastic pivots has broken off. To replace it would mean replacing the entire plastic housing that the hinge attaches to. Does anyone have a homemade fix for this? Can I fabricate something that can work? Thanks for any ideas.
I had to replace the whole part as you said. Beleive it or not it was not hard to do and the part was only $20.00 or less from HAL

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine a month ago. I used Crazy Glue and it's held together ever since. However, you can easily replace that hinge piece without having to replace the whole box. It's cheap and might give you more piece of mind. Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine a month ago. I used Crazy Glue and it's held together ever since. However, you can easily replace that hinge piece without having to replace the whole box. It's cheap and might give you more piece of mind. Good luck! :thumbup:
On the 2006 mondels and newer..its the whole piece not just the hindge

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is ONE piece and not just a hinge replacement. I just thought of something though, I still have three months left on my warranty. I wonder if something broken like this is covered? Or maybe they'll say it was mis-use.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It is ONE piece and not just a hinge replacement. I just thought of something though, I still have three months left on my warranty. I wonder if something broken like this is covered? Or maybe they'll say it was mis-use.
Give it a shot...they can only say no.....

Mark

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just replaced mine yesterday on my 06 because of 1 pin broken on the left door. The part was $13 + tax and shipping and I took my time and it took about an hour. I have the heated pass switch involved in addition to the normal cover. To answer your question I don't know of a cheap, easy fix unless you can find a small piece of plastic numb to try and super glue back into place. IMHO anything less than just replacing the housing at best won't last. Good luck and if you find a way please share it with us.

A

·
0 Posts
I have the same issue with my right side door hinge. Just the plastic pin broke. I went to the dealership and neither I nor the parts guys could decipher the parts fiche well enough to figure out which part number it was :shrug:. He ordered what he though it was and it turned out to be wrong.

Does anyone know the part number for the right side pin?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just replaced mine yesterday on my 06 because of 1 pin broken on the left door. The part was $13 + tax and shipping and I took my time and it took about an hour. I have the heated pass switch involved in addition to the normal cover. To answer your question I don't know of a cheap, easy fix unless you can find a small piece of plastic numb to try and super glue back into place. IMHO anything less than just replacing the housing at best won't last. Good luck and if you find a way please share it with us.
I don't mind spending a few bucks to fix it the right way, somehow I was thinking this part might be expensive, but I guess not. I'll see if my dealer will warrant it and if not I'll just order the part from Hal.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the same issue with my right side door hinge. Just the plastic pin broke. I went to the dealership and neither I nor the parts guys could decipher the parts fiche well enough to figure out which part number it was :shrug:. He ordered what he though it was and it turned out to be wrong.

Does anyone know the part number for the right side pin?
Here is the part # for the outer right hand side that will have the pins.
82111-mca-a60za
Price as listed $11.94. This is the outside housing (where the pins are at). You will have to reuse your inter housing, lid, and rubber. Put a cloth down under the storage pocket on top of your bag lid before you start to protect the lid. Open up your trunk, locate the (4) phillips screws holding it in and remove. Take your time nothing to it. :congrats:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here is the part # for the outer right hand side that will have the pins.
82111-mca-a60za
Price as listed $11.94. This is the outside housing (where the pins are at). You will have to reuse your inter housing, lid, and rubber. Put a cloth down under the storage pocket on top of your bag lid before you start to protect the lid. Open up your trunk, locate the (4) phillips screws holding it in and remove. Take your time nothing to it. :congrats:
No updates on this thread in a while. Turns out my rider last night just broke the door hinge (plastic pin) on the housing. Starting looking and I see that this part, [h=1]82111-MCA-A60ZA OUTER, R. *NH1*[/h]
is now 113.90 plus shipping. Did I miss something? 1000% price increase since 2009???

Somebody help!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
We bought this glue at the Florida State Fair about two years ago and it is amazing. When they demo'd it they were cutting a fan belt in half, put on drop on each piece and stick it back together and start using it again. That belt had been cut 100's of times. It will glue almost anything except for one type of rubber/plastic. Might be worth a try if it was a clean break.

The Last Glue
401 North University Drive #109
Edmond, OK 73034
(405)840-8334

Be careful, I ruined a very good pair of scissors cutting the tip off a new tube. I cut it, they stuck and I have tried everything to unstick them. Hit them with hammer, took them from boiling water into ice bath, heat with a torch, gave up. Once stuck, it is stuck for good.

·
Registered
366 Posts
When my pip broke off, I replaced it with a short length of stiff wire. I heated the wire with a soldering iron and then pushed it into place where the pip had been. It created its own hole by melting the plastic briefly.

·
Vendor
17,383 Posts
From 01-05 the hinge is available and replacable by itself. Not so from 06 and up.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,200 Posts
No updates on this thread in a while. Turns out my rider last night just broke the door hinge (plastic pin) on the housing. Starting looking and I see that this part, [h=1]82111-MCA-A60ZA OUTER, R. *NH1*[/h]
is now 113.90 plus shipping. Did I miss something? 1000% price increase since 2009???

Somebody help!
Yes, it's called Honda Greed. The chrome engine side covers used to run less than $40 each, they're now over $100 each. The 1800 is now the $20,000 bike that you can't build for $50,000

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Yea, now you get a $10 piece of plastic door with the hinge for the addition $100. Honda Greed. :roll:
Hard to argue with you on that. The original design seemed a lot better, only one reason I can think of to change it and you already know what that reason is.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Necromancers...... I drilled a hole in the door part and put a nail in there. I have a pic somewhere...... It kinda holds itself in..

Well, rather than search any longer, I took another pic. There is a ribbed paneling nail for the hinge pin. Just drilled through the door. Holds itself in when closed.

Img_1672.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts