GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Honda Dealers stock foot pegs? I broke my left foot peg, casting broke. I'm at Waterbury, VT., headed East to the Maine Coast. Makes for an interesting ride with no peg....:eek:4:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Did you break the actual peg or the mount (or both). I can do some calling around in NH and see if I can find one during the day tomorrow.

There are a couple of non dealer options that you may have more sucess with as well, and I can try to see what they have, but need to know exactly what is busted.

Best of luck and please feel free to PM me if a phone number would help.

Jason

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason....... The peg is the part broken, mount appears OK. I'm headed tomorrow towards Bangor, Maine in case anyone has a extra peg laying around or know of a dealer that may have one in stock.
Thanks......Chip

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
If just the peg is broken, and the mount's ok... you can use a Kuryakyn peg, although it does require an adapter. I would think many Honda shops have these.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Good point ATC. Boot sent me a pic and it does look like the actual Peg Body is broken (50642-MCA-000).
See image below. I'm going to be calling some local dealers in the a.m. to see if they have the correct part for him.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Scary to think how that would play out for those that occasionally stand on their pegs at speed. That'll make you stop and think.

Seems like someone here the other day had the same issue with a peg.

Good luck finding the peg.

Z

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Not to be rude but....how much do you weigh and how did you do it?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Good luck finding one, if not I'm sure you can get an after market peg. A while back there were a few posts about foot pegs breaking but this is the first I have heard in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Boot, sorry to hear about your issue... In Palmyra Maine (about 200 miles from you)there is a salvage yard that has many GL1800 parts listed on Ebay. I have bought stuff from them in the past. EC cycle is their business name. Here is a link that has a map, phone number and info.

http://www.somersetmaine.com/city/Palmyra/business/E+C+Cycle

Hope that helps....

When I broke a footpeg on my 1500 I went to the local ace hardware and found a heavy duty "L" bracket, cut it to fit (they let me use their hack saw)and bolted it on where the other peg was broken off. put on a piece of hose with duct tape and it held my foot up. It felt a bit stange, but got me home til I could get another OEM peg. A welding shop could also probably build you something that would be better than nothing....

good luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Holy smokes !!! I like to stand up for short period of time on long ride.....Breaking a foot peg crossed my mind before ........I better stop doing that before loosing a foot peg and .......... :22yikes: scary

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
tipped my wing over at a gas station near sturgis last year, broke left foot peg, found a used footpeg at a nearby Honda dealer for $30, i know it broke because of tipping it over but i still thought it was strange because it had been tipped on its side many times for various reasons and never broke anything before

i'd say your chances of finding a used footpeg are pretty good because lots of folks buy stuff like that at the dealers and don't want the stock parts back, goodluck :thumbup:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks much for all the help! I routinely stand on pegs at a slow speed on longer rides, I'll have to rethink standing. When I get back I need to check out strength of aftermarked pegs. I weigh 200 lbs, due to slipping on ice in January and a groin injury I have been stepping on the peg to get on/off bike. Still it's scary to think breaking a peg at speed! I'll wait to hear from Jason (jasnmar) tomorrow, and at the same time check the other options you all have suggested. It sure has been pretty riding this past week from Pickwick Dam, TN to Cherokee, NC up the Blue Ridge/Skyline Drive to Waterbury, VT.
Thanks again for your input!!!:bow:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Boot,

I may have missed it but did you say exactly how the peg broke? Did it break when you had your entire weight on that single peg while getting on or off your bike?

Also are you a member of GWRRA or have a friend who is a member? GWRRA publishes the Gold Book specifically to help out in cases like this. Ie member far from home, encounters a need or problem and finds a fellow member to help him. The book is a list of members all over the world by country, state and city, their phone numbers if that info is shared, and a code indicating the level of help they are willing and able to offer (like if they have tools, a trailer, if they are willing to have a fellow member camp or stay overnight at their house).

Best of luck in finding a footpeg.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The peg actually broke as I stood on it to get off the bike at the motel last night. I have a Nelson-Riggs bag, tent, etc. on the passenger seat and had been using the left peg to on and off. Just received a call from "Bank-Shot" from Tullahoma, AL who I've ridden with and he can UPS "overnight" the peg I need.......He also wears "brown" UPS work clothes....lol I'll see what Jason comes up with and then make a call. It's great to have help when having a problem away from home..........Thanks all!:bow:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
The rider's weight alone should have had nothing to do with it.

Although I hate to admit it, my fat ass tips the scales at a little over 350, and I'm 'vertically challeneged'. This means that, not only do I stand on the peg to get on & off the bike each and every time I ride, but I also routinely stand on the pegs at speed while on long rides to occasionally give my ass a break (or when riding on gravel & 2-track dirt roads to provide stability).

So based on the fact that I've had my bike since it was new back in '05... that peg has taken A LOT of abuse.

Now, here's the one caveat: I replaced the stock pegs with those Kuryakyn's shown in the picture up above in a previous post. But the bike mount that it's attached to is the same.

My take... unless the bike fell over and damaged the mount previously, it's simply a fluke. Every piece of metal can't be 'perfect'... and even if it is, then you still have the issue of 'metal fatigue' that happens over time.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Boot, if you can't find one, I have the take-offs from when I put Kury's on my bike. Yours for the coming to get. They're in Brookline, NH

Venco is closer, and on your way.. 603-435-5151 If nothing else. I'm sure he'd have the Kury's in stock.. Jim & Sue

I'm at my day job right now, but I could find a way. I'll PM you my cell number.

=Dave=
Rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Even if it's a fluke....I won't be standing on my pegs anymore while moving. Just not worth a fluke happening a 2nd time and getting killed over it.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
If you are on a trip and stop in a local dealer and they don't have any in stock, I would entice him to remove one from a bike there and order another in. Same difference to them. I believe most would do that for a traveler.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts