GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I broke the chrome plated plastic strip that lays on top of the engine/valve covers on the right side of the bike, where the chrome cover (access to oil dipstick) hooks into. This strip has the funky little clear plastic tab on it at the back end where the chrome engine cover hooks into it.

Can't figure out what it's called or where I can find a replacement since I don't know really what part it is. I didn't see if referenced in the service manual either, but I may just not have looked at the right place.

Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
8,475 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
If its item 15 in the ref provided by thfeputydawg I broke one of the tabs on mine and stuck it back on with 2 sided automotive tape from walmart. Still there a year later. However I didn't realize they were fairly cheap. (by motorcycle standards)

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
If its item 15 in the ref provided by thfeputydawg I broke one of the tabs on mine and stuck it back on with 2 sided automotive tape from walmart. Still there a year later. However I didn't realize they were fairly cheap. (by motorcycle standards)

Unfortunitly, it seems to be the part that #15 attaches to:
From the OP: "This strip has the funky little clear plastic tab on it at the back end where the chrome engine cover hooks into it."

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy cow! Unbelievable. This is disturbing news. Thanks for the info, though.

·
Registered
654 Posts
WOW!!!! I agree- if it is item #13, get the stealth lights and cover it up if possible, lot cheaper than the part itself.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think he broke the tab off that helps hold the other chrome cover...
I'd get some ABS glue ( http://www.lowes.com/pd_22380-138-31800D_0__?productId=3151717&Ntt=oatey+abs&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Doatey%2Babs&facetInfo= )

Remove the chrome plating on the back side of the break area... Carefully apply the glue (toothpick works well) to the break area edge and join the two pieces together... Hold in position for about a minute or so till the glue begins to cure... Let it dry for about an hour... Now find some scrap ABS thin sheet that you can glue to the back (where the chrome had been remove in the first step)... This will reinforce the area it broke at... If need be the scrap ABS can be heated and molded to just about any shape...

With some practice you can get quite good with this type of repair... Much of the time I can do this leaving no sign of the breakage visible (so long as the paint or chrome is not missing)... This joint will be stronger than the original as well... If you have an area that you are concerned about it later becoming broken, one can apply the glue and backer ABS as a preventative measure too...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Speaking the the small clear plastic tab at the back - what is that for? Is it a little wind wing?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for your ideas. The part that is broken or came loose is in fact the #15 part that deputydawg pointed out. It is broken or came loose up at the front of the piece, the front end of the bike. Will have to take off a bunch of plastic see if it can be repaired or needs replaced. The lights idea would be good if it wasn't just rattling around loose. Will be looking into all of this during the coming week. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think he broke the tab off that helps hold the other chrome cover...
I'd get some ABS glue ( http://www.lowes.com/pd_22380-138-31800D_0__?productId=3151717&Ntt=oatey+abs&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Doatey%2Babs&facetInfo= )

Remove the chrome plating on the back side of the break area... Carefully apply the glue (toothpick works well) to the break area edge and join the two pieces together... Hold in position for about a minute or so till the glue begins to cure... Let it dry for about an hour... Now find some scrap ABS thin sheet that you can glue to the back (where the chrome had been remove in the first step)... This will reinforce the area it broke at... If need be the scrap ABS can be heated and molded to just about any shape...

With some practice you can get quite good with this type of repair... Much of the time I can do this leaving no sign of the breakage visible (so long as the paint or chrome is not missing)... This joint will be stronger than the original as well... If you have an area that you are concerned about it later becoming broken, one can apply the glue and backer ABS as a preventative measure too...

For future reference, here is a source for ABS stock:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-sheets/=k6kyfs

If not on the ABS page, select "ABS" in the upper-left selection box.

IHTH someone!

·
Registered
154 Posts
You could also use thin fiber glass mat. I buy mine at hobby shops that sell remote control model airplanes since most builders use this to reinforce certain parts on their planes. Just lightly sand your repair area spread down a light coat of epoxy put down the glass and put another layer of epoxy. Tough as nails.

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Speaking the the small clear plastic tab at the back - what is that for? Is it a little wind wing?
It's called a spoiler and helps with air draft coming off the head. If it is missing, that leg gets warmer.

·
Banned
414 Posts
I think I broke the chrome plated plastic strip that lays on top of the engine/valve covers on the right side of the bike, where the chrome cover (access to oil dipstick) hooks into. This strip has the funky little clear plastic tab on it at the back end where the chrome engine cover hooks into it.

Can't figure out what it's called or where I can find a replacement since I don't know really what part it is. I didn't see if referenced in the service manual either, but I may just not have looked at the right place.

Any ideas on this?

Weld it back together if you have all the broken parts. Most ATV repair shops have Plastic Welders. I bought one a few years back and it has paid for itself many times over.

·
Registered
300 Posts
How do you remove that thing anyway?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to all for your posts on this. Turns out it was just a screw loose--which I am often accused of having... :joke:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts