GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone recall the post about an owner that had saddle bag lights that fell off? it ended up frying some electronics. been searching for that post but cant find it. trying to see which lights he had.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I remember that post. I think it fried the tail light

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes it fried one tail light, I think Goldstrike paid for it.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
@Drgsin DC8Cappie I think it was him that mentioned that?

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
The Goldstrike lights have a small curve at the bottom that matches the saddle bags. If the curve is not positioned properly (too high) then the mounting tape will fail over time.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats it..thank you fellas. i was planning on having these installed. now Im thinking otherwise

·
Registered
612 Posts
Had mine on now since they came out now. My problem was an installation error. The cables were not secured properly and the wire rub the rear tire and burned through the wire bundle and two wires. The only thing I’d worry about is the securing of the wires. Insure them so the can’t come in contact of the rear tire. Clean and prep the area your attaching the light to well. Suggest you use a stick of 3M primer 94 before attaching the light to the area of attachment.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
@Drgsin if you do decide to go with the saddle bag lights being discussed you might ask for an extra tube of the 3M primer 94 as they only provided one tube with my order, which is not enough for the application. Ask me how I know. I ordered a multi-pack from amazon as it works in creating a nice tacky surface to apply the double sided tape for the ultimate grip. So far no issues with my saddle bag lights and as mentioned earlier secure the wiring carefully to avoid dc8cappie problem. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info guys. i was planning on having them install everything at wing ding so im hoping theyll do it right. ill definitely mention those precautions you guys mentioned to them. thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts