GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2018 Gold Wing (DCT, Canadian airbag model) in June of that year and have been riding it happily ever since—but for one incident about a month ago.

After having stopped at a store, I was about to ride to the ferry in Port Angeles, Wash., for Victoria, B.C., (where I am from), and was unable to start the bike. At first AAA thought it was the battery, but they were not equipped to jump start it. I left the bike sitting in the parking lot over night and had it towed to the ferry, finally arriving later that morning at the repair shop in Victoria. It was a broken starter switch.

The Canadian 2018 Gold Wing has the idle-stop feature, which some say puts undo stress on the starter. (Does it?) Has anyone else experienced a defective starter switch? The dealer said it had not seen that problem with other Gold Wings.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have you been using the idling stop feature, or leave it disabled?

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I purchased my 2018 Gold Wing (DCT, Canadian airbag model) in June of that year and have been riding it happily ever since—but for one incident about a month ago.

After having stopped at a store, I was about to ride to the ferry in Port Angeles, Wash., for Victoria, B.C., (where I am from), and was unable to start the bike. At first AAA thought it was the battery, but they were not equipped to jump start it. I left the bike sitting in the parking lot over night and had it towed to the ferry, finally arriving later that morning at the repair shop in Victoria. It was a broken starter switch.

The Canadian 2018 Gold Wing has the idle-stop feature, which some say puts undo stress on the starter. (Does it?) Has anyone else experienced a defective starter switch? The dealer said it had not seen that problem with other Gold Wings.
Yes, one of my customers had his start switch assembly replaced. I'm sure it will be a part I'll be stocking soon.

"Idle stop feature putting stress on a starter" ... OMG, another forum myth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm having the same issue. Hit starter button ... nothing. FOB works fine and dash lights up even had the battery checked and it's fine so I'm thinking it might be the starter button. Will have to take it to the dealer. Bummer! Oh well hopefully they can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes, one of my customers had his start switch assembly replaced. I'm sure it will be a part I'll be stocking soon.

"Idle stop feature putting stress on a starter" ... OMG, another forum myth.
maybe not stress but more wear and tear, no?

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
The starter switch on the right handlebar should not be impacted by the idle-stop feature. The only thing I can see the idle stop affecting is wear and tear on your battery and your ISG.
Fred, this is a new clamshell design for us; might be a good video subject to show how to open, inspect, replace switch, etc.

prs

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had trouble with my starter switch from the beginning. When you pressed it sometimes it would start and more often than not it would do nothing. Sometimes after repeatedly pressing it hard and putting sideways pressure on it after doing this for a minute it would start. Got tired of that in a hurry and took the switch apart. The only thing that switch does is press a button deeper down in the assembly. I found that taking the tip of a screwdriver and pressing that button it would start every time.I took it to the dealer to have them put a new switch in it. All it needed was that little plastic red switch. I was surprised to find out that part is not sold. Had to replace the entire right hand switch assembly. The cost of that part was about $320. It was replaced under warranty. If I had to pay for that I would have just built up the end of the plunger on the switch with a little epoxy and put it back in after it hardened. That would have fixed it. Again all that caused the problem was the plunger was not pushing the switch in far enough deeper in the assembly. It is not an electrical problem,at least on mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had trouble with my starter switch from the beginning. When you pressed it sometimes it would start and more often than not it would do nothing. Sometimes after repeatedly pressing it hard and putting sideways pressure on it after doing this for a minute it would start. Got tired of that in a hurry and took the switch apart. The only thing that switch does is press a button deeper down in the assembly. I found that taking the tip of a screwdriver and pressing that button it would start every time.I took it to the dealer to have them put a new switch in it. All it needed was that little plastic red switch. I was surprised to find out that part is not sold. Had to replace the entire right hand switch assembly. The cost of that part was about $320. It was replaced under warranty. If I had to pay for that I would have just built up the end of the plunger on the switch with a little epoxy and put it back in after it hardened. That would have fixed it. Again all that caused the problem was the plunger was not pushing the switch in far enough deeper in the assembly. It is not an electrical problem,at least on mine.
That's good info. Thank you for sharing. Was it difficult taking the assembly apart?

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Very helpful. Could you remind me where the "Smart" fuse is? Thanks!
Look on your fuse panel ... it should say "smart." It is probably fuse #24.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback on the faulty starter. I routinely use the idle-stop feature but am not convinced that was the cause of the breakdown. If it were, I would imagine that there would be more starter problems. Just a guess, of course.

Anyway, I am enjoying my bike again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts