GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Well I bit the bullet and bought my Wing. I was going to wait until I retired but who knows now when that will happen. Got the candy black cherry with comfort package, nav system and abs. Traded in my 05 VTX1300.
Boy what a difference. I had a 82 GW Aspencade years ago and a Silverwing before that.
I would like to get some recomendations on a tire plug kit and air compressor just to have with me on trips. I don't have a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket so how would I get power to the 12volt compressor.
Thanks in advance,

Spike
Glendale, AZ

·
Registered
165 Posts
congrats on the new wing, you will love every moment of it, your face will be sore with all that smiling;), you should use tyre additive that way you dont have to carry comp and plug kit at all, i use ultraseal never had any probs yet neither has 12 of my 1800 mates. some pics would be nice:congrats:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi,
Well I bit the bullet and bought my Wing. I was going to wait until I retired but who knows now when that will happen. Got the candy black cherry with comfort package, nav system and abs. Traded in my 05 VTX1300.
Boy what a difference. I had a 82 GW Aspencade years ago and a Silverwing before that.
I would like to get some recomendations on a tire plug kit and air compressor just to have with me on trips. I don't have a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket so how would I get power to the 12volt compressor.
Thanks in advance,

Spike
Glendale, AZ
I carry a "rope" type plug kit with three small CO2 cylinders. I also have a small high pressure hand pump just in case.

The three cylinders will fill a tyre sufficiently to allow you to ride to a 'servo'

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome and congrats! your going to love the wing, I carry a small compressor (Slime) and a rope plug kit. The Dynaplugs look like a good product, I'm going to get it. As far as connecting the compressor, they come with a connector that you can attach to the battery and simply plug in when ready to use or you can use the alligator clips. There tons of information here, the search feature works well or just ask. Good luck and hide your credit card.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Accessory plug

I just picked up my 2009,basic with premiun sound,heated seat/hand grips.Metalic Silver.I have in the past installed the accessory plug in the left pocket,which has always been marked on the back of the pocket,where to drill.(but no markings to be found) because due to the addition of the controls,for the foot warmers,their isnt room for the plug.the wire plug in is still their though.I use Plug and Go, plug repair plugs,and have had exelent results. This is my first day on the site,hope I have helped.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Many small compressors will blow the fuse on the accessory hookup in the left hand pocket.

You are better off with a hookup directly to the battery.

I agree I would not want to test the tire pressure monitors with Slime or any other additive inside the tire. Stop and Go and Progressive both make good tire repair kits. Or you can go to your local Auto Parts store and put one together with everything probably a lot cheaper.

Regarding the air compressor, in addition to Slime's, I would look at the Cycle Pump(www.cyclepump.com). The Cycle Pump is probably the "cadillac" of pumps. Motorcycle Consumer News did a report on a unit they bought at WalMart and rearranged for easier carrying on a motorcycle. I think they paid $12.00. I think I paid $15 for mine from Walmart and have used it to pump up the tires on two other sport bikes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
:congrats: on your new Wing. May she bring you many years of joy.
Curious, you mentioned you are a previous Wing owner then switched. What was the reason to you got away from the Wing for a while? :popcorn:
Lonestarr
GL1800 '8

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with the VTX1300 because it looked nice, I liked the retro lookand I put a Wide Open Plastics fairing on it, Mustang seat, sissy bar and saddle bags and white walls with spokes and a AM/FM/CD in the fairing. Plus it was $8000.00. Didn't really have the money for the Wing 3 years ago. But I saved and saved plus both kids graduated from college. My 82 Wing had 167000 miles and the new owner drove it away. It was getting close to needing a lot of work done on it. The timing belts were due, a lot of little things. Nobody wants to work on them anymore. And I hate getting stranded anywhere.
There is no comparision with my new Wing, what a ride, smooth as butter on the highway. The VTX1300 is a nice bike, I'll never talk bad about it but it is more of a around town bike. I want to go on day trips and more so I went and got me a Wing.

Spike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Enjoy the Wing, I also came from a 05 VTX-R, I loved that bike, but honestly have not missed it since the Wing took me thru 20+ States in 2008.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hi,
Thanks in advance,

Spike
Glendale, AZ
Congrats on the new Wing, Spike! Great color choice......of course I'm biased. :lol:
I'm jealous............at least you can ride your new Wing. 107 miles and holding, here.

If you haven't seen it yet, here is a link to a thread I started showing some of the mods I have installed on my '09............

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201530

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi,
Thanks in advance,

Spike
Glendale, AZ
In other words, you have the ABS edition ;)

Many tire plug kits, but I never used one. I put this stuff www.ride-on.com in my tires. Worked so far and if that doesn't do it, I have a run flat tire on the rear and an AARP roadside assistance membership.

As far as a compressor, you can buy one at WallyWorld for about ten bucks that works just fine. I bring one along on my big trips to air up m/c and trailer tires. As far as auxillary power goes, just get an SAE trailer plug (two wire - hot and ground) from an auto parts store for two bucks and wire straight to the battery. There is a handy opening on the side cover below the seat where you can stash the wire and take it out when needed. This will work for battery tenders, heated suits, compressors or anything else that requires 12 volts.

I also bring a battery tender along on my long trips. I have more than once left the radio on too long or other things that would leave me with not enough juice the next morning to start the big wing. I hate it when that happens!

Enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride, Spike! Recommend sticky rope, Slime compressor and a Batter Tender - wire directly to the battery and you're good to go.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:congrats::doorag: I also came from a vtx 1300. only put 7000 miles on the vtx. the vtx was a little rough on my old back. my 07 wing has 31000 miles on it now and is a great ride.:p

I have a slime compressor and dynaplugs. haven't had to use any yet. i will clip the compressor to the battery terminal when i use it.:agree:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts