GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 21 DCT Tour today. Rode it 3 miles from the dealer and turned around to take it back. I asked the service technician to take it for a ride and tell me if all the noise im hearing is normal. He came back and said it was ok, and his admittedly minimal experience with DCTs told him they were all like that, so off i went for my 50 mile ride home.
Perhaps i had unrealistic expectations, but the transmission sounds like a bucket of bolts. I realize that it is not a full automatic, but essentially a quickshifting manual, and perhaps this is just how they are. I tried it in all modes with no discernible difference.
Bike performed flawlessly otherwise and it was a fun ride home. I was comfortable the whole time, but a Utopia is on the way.

Anyone else feel this way ? Will it break in perhaps ? Does it maybe need this initialization procedure im reading about already ?

Look forward to hearing your responses. Meanwhile im scouring the forum for everything DCT !

·
Registered
433 Posts
I thought the same thing when I rode mine back to California from where I bought it in Arizona. I wasn’t used to the shifting noises and thought man this cant be right. It’s normal though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shooters. That relieves my mind a little. Does yours also make similar noise at idle in Neutral ?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks Shooters. That relieves my mind a little. Does yours also make similar noise at idle in Neutral ?
No, it’s doesn’t make any odd noises when in neutral whatsoever. Your saying it’s make similar grinding noises while in neutral?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Picked up a 21 DCT Tour today. Rode it 3 miles from the dealer and turned around to take it back. I asked the service technician to take it for a ride and tell me if all the noise im hearing is normal. He came back and said it was ok, and his admittedly minimal experience with DCTs told him they were all like that, so off i went for my 50 mile ride home.
Perhaps i had unrealistic expectations, but the transmission sounds like a bucket of bolts. I realize that it is not a full automatic, but essentially a quickshifting manual, and perhaps this is just how they are. I tried it in all modes with no discernible difference.
Bike performed flawlessly otherwise and it was a fun ride home. I was comfortable the whole time, but a Utopia is on the way.

Anyone else feel this way ? Will it break in perhaps ? Does it maybe need this initialization procedure im reading about already ?

Look forward to hearing your responses. Meanwhile im scouring the forum for everything DCT !
Ever hear a Harley shift?

Honda
actually made some changes to make the trans shift a little more quietly for 2021.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Define bucket of bolts? My 21 does not sound that way. I can hear a rough shift occasionally but no rattling.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like hearing the DCT shift sounds. Only really notice the first few gears.

And the sound of the starter/generator when starting the engine too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it’s doesn’t make any odd noises when in neutral whatsoever. Your saying it’s make similar grinding noises while in neutral?

Yes, it is noisy in neutral and i can feel grindiing vibrations through the bike sitting on it in neutral.
I need to find another one to compare it too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have any odd noises on my 19 when in neutral. Sometimes I will hear the clack of the shift happening especially when I'm being easy on the throttle and in the first few gears. The upper gears and harder acceleration seem to smooth it out.

Not to hijack but I am not sure my walking mode is working correctly. Seems almost useless in reverse unless on absolutely flat ground.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't have any odd noises on my 19 when in neutral. Sometimes I will hear the clack of the shift happening especially when I'm being easy on the throttle and in the first few gears. The upper gears and harder acceleration seem to smooth it out.

Not to hijack but I am not sure my walking mode is working correctly. Seems almost useless in reverse unless on absolutely flat ground.
Funny you mention the walking mode. I’ve got the same issue with my 2019. I asked Fred H about it to see if there was some adjustments that could be made but he said it’s all computer controlled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm - just went out and played around a little. Noise i hear and feel in Neutral seems to be exacerbated when using walking mode forward.
Also, Walking in reverse works twice as well as forward !
Something aint right !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn’t do a demo ride because i had done a long demo about 3 years ago on a manual and pretty much this dealers so called ”demo ride” sux (less than 5 miles) anyhow had watched plenty of videos and read enough to know I wanted to take a shot at the DCT so I’m riding away and all of a sudden I hear all this “clicking” (shifting) I was like WTF? I also was gonna turn around but I was the last customer of the day… 3 weeks later I’m used to it and kind of like it clicking away now

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT airbag
278 Posts
Have you tried the clutch initialisation procedure? It might help. Also be a little patient. If it is trying to go uphill, just keep your finger on the button and it will get there. It can back up quite steep slopes if you give it chance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you tried the clutch initialisation procedure? It might help. Also be a little patient. If it is trying to go uphill, just keep your finger on the button and it will get there. It can back up quite steep slopes if you give it chance.
I did do that at 4K miles and it seemed to help overall shifting but no impact on the walking mode. I bought it used so I don’t know if it was like this from the beginning and normal or not. I would’ve thought it would be a bit more robust. Last time I gave up on it because it looked like I was sitting there not knowing what I was doing in front of people.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Hmmm - just went out and played around a little. Noise i hear and feel in Neutral seems to be exacerbated when using walking mode forward.
Also, Walking in reverse works twice as well as forward !
Something aint right !!
Normal.
Should have bought a Harley, then you'd have something to complain about. :rolleyes:
BTW Welcome to the forum.(y)

·
Registered
9,147 Posts

Ride it for a while, you wont even hear the DCT's clicking gear changes.
I love the way my bike sounds.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
77 Posts
I've owned my 2018 DCT Tour for almost 2 years, and never heard any noises like you described, especially in neutral. I would try to find another dealer that has a new or used one to compare it to.
Also, walking mode on my bike will run it up the ramp into my enclosed trailer. I'm not sure if you post a video here, but maybe record the noise and post a link?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I second RickC... I have a new 21 and no noises at neutral at all, the just sweet sweet engine hum. I have been a couple other DCTs since 2018 and haven't heard what you are describing either.

Hope you get it sorted quick, sucks having a new bike and have bad feelings about it. Keep us on on your progress!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts