GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
FWIW, I have a 6mt and when it’s in neutral and I let out the clutch it does rattle a bit. But 7500 miles and not a hiccup…

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,581 Posts
What did you ride before? When I got my Wing (DCT), a friend who's a die-hard HD guy was shocked at how loud the engine was, all the mechanical sounds. Of course, I said "but we're talking at a normal volume, we're not shouting over an exhaust..."

He got real quiet when the point manifested in his mind.

Sometimes we don't hear stuff because it's masked by other stuff. The Wing is so quiet at low RPM that you hear a LOT more than most other bikes would allow.

Reactions: Bayrec and JoeHall

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sometimes we don't hear stuff because it's masked by other stuff. The Wing is so quiet at low RPM that you hear a LOT more than most other bikes would allow.
Fair point, although i listened to a 2018 yesterday, and it makes none of the noises i hear in mine.
I previously had a 2013 Yamaha FJR

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
My DCT makes shifting and walking-mode noise, especially when engaging, but no noticeable noise in Neutral. Where are you located, @Kiwiaudio? (EDIT--never mind. I see you're in Ohio.)

Can you post a video with sound of the motorcycle running in Neutral?

·
Registered
463 Posts
One thing I noticed a lot, I drive freeways 65 miles each way to work, averaging 75mpg, usually an hours drive or more. Once off the freeways and riding surface street, 25-20mph, the tranny does jerk down gears when stopping, it takes a bit to adjust correctly. I think the bikes brains needs to adjust to the ride to settle it down.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
One thing I noticed a lot, I drive freeways 65 miles each way to work, averaging 75mpg, usually an hours drive or more. Once off the freeways and riding surface street, 25-20mph, the tranny does jerk down gears when stopping, it takes a bit to adjust correctly. I think the bikes brains needs to adjust to the ride to settle it down.
Holy cow! 75mpg? Is that a typo? How much do you weigh?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Holy cow! 75mpg? Is that a typo? How much do you weigh?
Has to be a typo . 75mph would be physically possible , but virtually impossible to actually achieve...... and very illegal. 75mpg , would equate to 90mpg UK consumption - possible for a few minutes , but over an hour's ride ............. no way. If the answer is yes - he weighs 25lbs . Other possibility - those are computer figures , and the ECU is up the left !!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Picked up a 21 DCT Tour today. Rode it 3 miles from the dealer and turned around to take it back. I asked the service technician to take it for a ride and tell me if all the noise im hearing is normal. He came back and said it was ok, and his admittedly minimal experience with DCTs told him they were all like that, so off i went for my 50 mile ride home.
Perhaps i had unrealistic expectations, but the transmission sounds like a bucket of bolts. I realize that it is not a full automatic, but essentially a quickshifting manual, and perhaps this is just how they are. I tried it in all modes with no discernible difference.
Bike performed flawlessly otherwise and it was a fun ride home. I was comfortable the whole time, but a Utopia is on the way.

Anyone else feel this way ? Will it break in perhaps ? Does it maybe need this initialization procedure im reading about already ?

Look forward to hearing your responses. Meanwhile im scouring the forum for everything DCT !
Do the Clutch Initialization procedure. You can find it on YouTube. Should not make any noise when in Neutral

·
Registered
453 Posts
Picked up a 21 DCT Tour today. Meanwhile im scouring the forum for everything DCT !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Picked up a 21 DCT Tour today. Rode it 3 miles from the dealer and turned around to take it back. I asked the service technician to take it for a ride and tell me if all the noise im hearing is normal. He came back and said it was ok, and his admittedly minimal experience with DCTs told him they were all like that, so off i went for my 50 mile ride home.
Perhaps i had unrealistic expectations, but the transmission sounds like a bucket of bolts. I realize that it is not a full automatic, but essentially a quickshifting manual, and perhaps this is just how they are. I tried it in all modes with no discernible difference.
Bike performed flawlessly otherwise and it was a fun ride home. I was comfortable the whole time, but a Utopia is on the way.

Anyone else feel this way ? Will it break in perhaps ? Does it maybe need this initialization procedure im reading about already ?

Look forward to hearing your responses. Meanwhile im scouring the forum for everything DCT !
Don't do the initilization! I did, and it wouldn't come out off the mode, dealer said I should have brought it to them, so Honda didn't cover it under the warranty, $335 out of my pocket!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Post up where you live and let's see if somebody on the forum can meet up with you and perhaps you could take a ride on their bike or visa-versa and compare the two.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
Don't do the initilization! I did, and it wouldn't come out off the mode, dealer said I should have brought it to them, so Honda didn't cover it under the warranty, $335 out of my pocket!
Clearly something anomalous went wrong in your case, and I'm sorry for that, but hundreds of us have done the initialization without a problem.

Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,879 Posts
Picked up a gently used 2018 DCT a few days ago. On startup it is rough and noisy. Gets better as it warms up.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts