GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to ride from DC to Asheville, NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway and was wondering how long I should expect the ride to take? I plan to spend one night overnight during the ride. Where is the best place to overnight? Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
BRP DC to Ashville

The Skyline Drive is roughtly 110 miles with a speed of 35mph so figure 3+ hours to do that part. The BRP is roughly 435 miles with a speed of 45 mps so figure 10+ hours.

When my DC club (PARR) did it a few years ago we started from Route 64 where the Skyline ends and BRP starts and we make one stop on the way down. We got to Cherokee around dinner time the next day. But we did make a few stops for happy snaps and bio breaks along the way.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This road is soo scenic that you will want to make several stops along the way, so mileage is not the whole story.

Two places to stay on the parkway that I can recommend are the Peaks of Otter Hotel in VA and the Little Switzerland area. There are B&B's, and hotels with resturants in this area. The Peaks of Otter hotel has a great eating place attached.

Take your time and enjoy if you can. We only live about 20 minutes from this great road and never get tired of it.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have ridden it from Asheville to Cherokee, but not north of Asheville yet. But we will.....maybe this year in the early fall.

Let us know how your ride turns out......when you going?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
The Mount Pisgah Inn on the BRP is close to Asheville; look them up on the BRP websites.
Great views.

My Uncle lives in Asheville and we often just stay at the Comfort Inn at the intersection of I-40 and 74-A; it's in a small strip center and next to a J&S Caffeteria that has good country cooking. (also very close to Uncle Herm).
74-A has a BRP exit.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Big Bird,

There is a very nice little motel at mile marker 268. The park Vista Motel and Restaurant. NO FRILLS. No cable tv but you cant beat the price, about $50/night. Very biker friendly. The little restaurant has great food. Its about 20 miles north of Boone/Blowing rock. Coming south it will be on your right not 200 ft off the pkw. Just keep mm 268 in mind.

Their phone # is 336-877-2750

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Jay Hoover said:
Big Bird,

There is a very nice little motel at mile marker 268. The park Vista Motel and Restaurant. NO FRILLS. No cable tv but you cant beat the price, about $50/night. Very biker friendly. The little restaurant has great food. Its about 20 miles north of Boone/Blowing rock. Coming south it will be on your right not 200 ft off the pkw. Just keep mm 268 in mind.

Their phone # is 336-877-2750
I stayed there recently; great bargain and nice folks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
BigBird05 if you are coming from DC are you planning to come west on 66, if you are then you can pick up Sky Line Drive at Front Royal. Sky Line is closed in the winter by the way. Cost $15 for a car and $10 for a bike which is good for 7 days. I live about 30 mi. from sky line drive and ride it from Front Royal to Luray (usually) it is a very easy and relaxing ride. Be sure to bring a camera cause there are plenty of places to take pictures. Some one said to allow 3 hrs. for Sky Line Drive but it may take you longer if you do a lot of stopping. If you are doing this on a weekend let me know and i will try to meet you and ride with you.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Having made this trip several times:

Unless you are adamant about Skyline Drive, I'd travel thru the Shenandoah valley (parallel to I-81) and get on the Blue Ridge at Waynesboro. BRP is 469 miles of wider road with so many scenic things to see that the time to travel depends on how many things you want to see.

I did it last Oct coming home from Wingstock in two days. Photos are on my website. As far as places to stay, Peaks of Otter & Little Switzerland are on the BRP and command a bigger cost. Being the frugal traveler, my half way stop was at a Comfort Inn just off the BRP in Roanoke, VA.

However, knowing where the best food is, there is a great family style restaurant just off of the Fancy Gap exit, to the west side of the BRP. Don't miss it! Gas is also available.

Before I went, I did a Google search for all websites, printed out the gas stops close by and made sure I downloaded all the maps.

This is a trip that can consume two days or two weeks - just depends on the number of stops. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
With very little stopping for sight seeing the ride including Skyline drive is very doable in 2 days. Taking 66 out of DC is the worst part of the trip.

I make that trip at least once a year. I cannot say that I stop at anyone place for the night just ride till I get tired.

The trip is worth the ride for sure!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts