GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I will ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, or parts of it, during the week of July 12-15 (Tuesday-Friday). My question is in regards to the general availability of lodging along BRP during the week. Will we need reservations or can we "Wing" it?

Since this is our first trip to the area we welcome any other suggestions as well.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I've done the parkway in early July with no reservations on weekdays with no problems. You might want to search on line ahead of time in areas you're likely to stay to get ides of room rates at the various motels. Beats shopping around when you're tired from riding all day.

With the BRP detour up near Doughten Park, the lodge at the Bluffs will be closed all summer. Other than Mt Pisqah, there are no other rooms on the Parkway itself but there are many places to stay just off the parkway.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Brp

We rode it in June a few years back, had reservations in Cherokee the first night then just winged it the rest of the trip, didn't have any problems and never had to go over a mile from the parkway to find a room. Hope you are as lucky as we were, all 462 miles and not one ddrop of rain.:thumbup:

·
Registered
397 Posts
We have "winged" it several times. We start to look for hotels around 4 PM sometimes after that we have had to search. We uses the GPS hotel feature several times estimating where we would be and called ahead and made reservations.
I enjoy riding until we want to stop without having to have to be somewhere at a certain time.
We usually go last week of July 1st week of August.
You will enjoy the ride have fun.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Rode the entire Parkway 3 years ago. Suggest you get a map of the parkway or download one off the internet which will show where you can get off of it.

There are only a couple of places to stay "On" the parkway and they are generally booked for months ahead of time.

Most lodging will be in towns within just a few miles of the Parkway, and you can get back on it the next morning where you get off, and not miss anything.

Watch for Ground Hogs. Don't recall ever seing a deer on the parkway but don't rule them out either.

Be prepaired for any kind of weather. (Tried to ride the parkway 6 or 7 years ago and it rained the whole time. At times we were in the clouds and could barely see the road. Made it to Boone and turned around and went back home.)

On our last trip we got wet every day around 4-5 PM. Finally started leaving earlier in the mornings and stopping earlier in the afternoons to dodge the afternoon rain showers.

At some of the higher elevations it can get chilly even in the summer, early in the morning and late afternoon.

There are plenty of place to stay and eat in Cherokee (The beginning), Ashville, Boone, & Roanoke, all of which are just right off the Parkway.

Take some drinks and snacks along. There are places to eat but few and far between.

Plan your gas stops. There is no Gas on the Parkway that I recall. But places where you can get off and back on, and get gas near the Parkway.

Speed limit is 45, and enforced. But you don't want to be in a hurry anyway. To much great scenery to fly past in a hurry.

The roads are generaly in great shape. Plenty of pulloffs for photos, and rest stops. Also a couple of Museums right on the Parkway that you might want to visit.

You will enjoy it....Ride safe. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts