GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to dig out my chaps... 46 degrees riding to work this morning. Of course by the time I got to work it was up to 54 degrees. My Millennium jacket was more than enough to keep my upper body warm though. :wink:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hey Rick

You must live in the warm part of the Valley. It was 39 deg this morning at Boulder Highway and Wagon Wheel.

How long do you think someone from MI, or NY will chime in an tell us what wussies we are... :D

John

·
Registered
373 Posts
Or Colorado.

Or, someone from Colorado.....

Wussies.

I sure miss your town (actually, it's more like "I sure miss my money").
Need (want) to get back down there soon.

Whatever the temp - ride safe. Also, remember that since it is colder than normal, the cages may not be looking (if they originally had been) for bikes as much.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
blizardj said:
Hey Rick...How long do you think someone from MI, or NY will chime in an tell us what wussies we are... :D

John
Chef here in SC, wussies! (we don't need no stinking chaps above 20 degrees!)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
$hit, I got my bike all wired up and got heated jacket liners. Pant liners will be next. :D Tim

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Yeah, it was 46 as I rode home from work late last night. I actually had to get my winter gloves out of the saddlebag! If it gets much colder, I may have to switch to my full-face helmet. :roll:

Chef, who you callin' a wussie? :shock:

·
Registered
107 Posts
wussie

Yesterday it was 31 in Grand Rapids Michigan when I left for work. 17 miles with an open face helmet.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
shuckaduck said:
$hit, I got my bike all wired up and got heated jacket liners. Pant liners will be next. :D Tim
Are you going to get heated gloves ..... so your heated grips do not melt?

:arrow: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Be careful!!

I ride my wing to work every day unless it is precipitaing in some form or another, and until the other day really didn't think about the temps. I was on my way to work with a raw temp of 26. I went through an area in a park where the groud temp is alway lower due to a lake next to the road and hit sheer ice. It was most likely from a pickup with a bed liner that held on to the rain form the previous day, the water sloshed from the truck bed, hit the road and became sheer ice. For the first time ever I (we[me and the wing]) went down. I stayed with the bike and when the sliding stopped I was still plugged in to the helmet connection. I got up, picked up the bike, knowing I would find some serious damage (all the day before my annual trip to the Dragon). We slid about 50 yards on the right side. I looked the bike over and not believing my eyes there was absolutely no damage to the wing other than a broken extension arm for my highway peg. No scratches, no breaks. The engine guard and saddle bag guard took all the abuse and I guess since it was so slick and the bike didn't grab traction any where along the way it just slid effortlessly along the asphalt. Made the trip to the Dragon as scheduled with no problems. Key note being, be careful, anything below 32 could change things in an instant.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has been down to 18 degrees here. Had to put the wing away for the winter. Will use my Ural now with heated clothes. I ride every day. I plan on riding all winter even when it snows. :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
26 this AM when I rode to work.
32 For the ride home.
About 35 min each way, all interstate. I reeeally watch the overpasses... they usually freeze first.
Working on a heated vest now (wireing my own, I love a challenge.)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big guy said:
You Vegas guys have it made come on out to Indian Springs early in the morning or late at night.
BG
I was up for a job once up that way... couldn't have ridden my bike to work though. Well, part way at least. :wink:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
lows between 37 and 42,,,highs around 66.........I don't wear chaps until it is below 40...I will ride in shorts,tank top and flip flops down to 40,,then I wear chaps.....arrive at work with ice -cicles hanging from my nipples!!!!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hey! We all got it rough. My pool water temp is down to 72*F and its not even December! :shock: 8) :roll:

Stay warm, stay safe...

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
You guys are week! I don't break out the winter gloves until the mid 30s.

So far I've had them out twice in the last month or so.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
re you going to get heated gloves ..... so your heated grips do not melt?
No, my grips get super hot and they do real good with those hand deflectors. Think I broke out my winter gloves twice last year. Once this year going over Independence Pass at 530 in the morning(It was a little chilly) :lol: 24-26 degrees. That's why the heated clothing, can't let the cold stop me from riding' and the older I get the more it get's to me.

Gotta get back to Arizona and do some twisties to warm up. Tim

·
Registered
410 Posts
LVWolfman

Yea, I worked there, it was 20 below enroute, no bikes allowed at 20,000 feet. :D

Carried you parka onto the plane.... Wear your parka getting off the plane.

Those were the days.... :D

John

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
As my secretary used to say, "it's only cold on account of the temperature."

Good story, Frank. I hit a nice sheet of ice on the Cherohala three years ago on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Nasty business; I slid left all the way into the on-coming lane. Luckily there was nothing coming... My wife slapped my helmet and said, "why'd you do that?" The snow and ice got pretty deep up a little further so I turned around and took the long way to Deal's Gap.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just went and bought my wife a new trike!!
only 33 when we left home, and had a hour drive NORTH
to get to the shop.
Never warmed up untill half way home.
Heated clothes are the greatest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts