GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

BT-45 Reverse or forward rotation?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanting to know how many are running forward or reverse rotation. I bought one and trying to decide forward or reverse......or does it even matter?

TIA for your input!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I've also heard the same but many are dogmatic about their decision. I ran one before and had to take it off bc it was cupping bad at 12k. When I replaced it I discovered my left fork seal had been leaking. So IDK if the was the tire or a leaking fork.:unsure:

·
Vendor
18,465 Posts
I've rode on probably just as many reversed as non-reverse. Put me down for at least 50 of each.

That tire is known as the "cupper." Everyone I've rode on or seen cups. When they cup, it puts a vibration, or buzz through the handlebars. Because of its nylon cords, it's also very rough riding tire.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't think it matters either, the BT45 has been replaced with the BT46. I got 30,500 miles out of the 45, I just had a 46 mounted and the guy that mounted it said it nondirectional so I hope it does as good, it sure feels good....

·
IronMan
17,820 Posts
MAIN THING I'VE FOUND TO STOP CUPPING IS KEEP AIR AT 41 OR ABOVE AVERAGE MID 30,000 ON 5 I'VE RUN USUALLY PUT ON WAY ARROWS GOES .

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I tried one forward rotation, and by 8000 miles or so the vibration from the cupping while turning corners was to the point it vibrated the front fender like a paint shaker. Reversed rotation, and the corner vibration was not too bad, but had a constant vibration even while going straight, so off with that one at about 9000 miles. Unfortunately had already purchased another, so mounted it reverse, and was set to swap it back to forward and back to reverse every 5000 miles to keep cupping at bay. By 5000 miles, again the vibration was enough to hear the front fender vibrate in turns, flipped the tire over. By then, actually way before then I had decided there is a darn good reason this tire is not rated or in any way worthwhile to use on the front of a GL1800. Yes 41psi was used as recommended. It probably depends on how you ride, and where. I ride real slow and easy, but do ride a lot of mountains where leaned over and braking ect.
So to answer the question, rotation does not matter.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I ran 2 of them, 1 each way 41 psi and balance beads. Neither one cupped or vibrated, 30,000 plus out of each. YMMV

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have mounted one each way for the full life of the tire. About 12k each way for longevity. Both cupped pretty bad. The reverse mount seemed to have less grip when wet. Could have been many factors involved but I liked forward mounting better. Have now switched to a Bridgestone 709 and like the handling better.

Reactions: Big Tee

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
I am on my 4th one now and have gotten over 30k out of all of them that I kept till worn out. No problem with cupping but I am serious about keeping at least 41lbs of air in them. I hate to see them stop making them.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I have run the BT-45 as a front tire on several bikes, including two Gold Wings. They all cupped, whether mounted forward or reverse. So to me it's not important which way they are mounted. I had one BT-45 split in the grooves and had to replace it very much prematurely. Not sure that I will purchase another Stone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried one forward rotation, and by 8000 miles or so the vibration from the cupping while turning corners was to the point it vibrated the front fender like a paint shaker. Reversed rotation, and the corner vibration was not too bad, but had a constant vibration even while going straight, so off with that one at about 9000 miles. Unfortunately had already purchased another, so mounted it reverse, and was set to swap it back to forward and back to reverse every 5000 miles to keep cupping at bay. By 5000 miles, again the vibration was enough to hear the front fender vibrate in turns, flipped the tire over. By then, actually way before then I had decided there is a darn good reason this tire is not rated or in any way worthwhile to use on the front of a GL1800. Yes 41psi was used as recommended. It probably depends on how you ride, and where. I ride real slow and easy, but do ride a lot of mountains where leaned over and braking ect.
So to answer the question, rotation does not matter.
25,000 now and still going strong.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess forward it is!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts