GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just picked up my 2019 Tour DCT and I’m trying to choose a Bluetooth headset. I’ve searched here and read reviews on Revzilla and still don’t know what to choose. About 80% of my riding is solo, 20% with a pillion. None of the people I ride with use headsets for bike to bike. I want to be able to listen to music and gps instructions from Apple Carplay, communicate with pillion. I’d like pillion to be able to listen to their own music, if desired, and talk on their phone.

I’m looking at the Sena 20S and the Cardo Freecom 4+. Most of what I’m seeing here have been people having problems with both units. Revzilla’s reviews of the Cardo aren’t bad, but a lot of recent complaints of Sena’s dieing.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have both the Sena 20s and the J&M BT-04. Hands down the audio quality is superior on the J&M. The Sena offers more features; however, if it was just my wife and I, I would own just the J&M. However I ride with friends....they all have Sena. So I switch helmets depending on who I am riding with.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I'm a current owner of a Freecom1, Freecom4, and two Packtalk Bolds. I initially didn't understand why the Packtalks were so much more expensive. It wasn't until I purchased one that I began to understand why. The voice recognition and control is, to put it succinctly, superb. Heck, I don't even pair it to the bike anymore. Though if you want to use carplay, you'll still want to pair it to the bike normally. I'm an android user and use Google Assistant for everything, which the Packtalk Bold works perfectly with.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I am VERY HAPPY with my Packtalk Bolds!! Wicked easy to pair. I have my Packtalk paired to the bike. I also have my phone paired to the bike. Music and the bike's GPS work seamlessly!! Also have my Packtalk paired to the wife's. That DMC mesh is GREAT!! She doesn't have a smart phone, but if she did, she could make calls and listen to her own music from her phone. Her Packtalk is NOT paired to the bike.

WORLDS BETTER than the Sena I used to have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 2 big players are Sent and Cardo. I have owned both with my preferred weapon being the Cardo Packtalk Bold JBL. The sound quality is very good coming out of those small speakers. Setting it up is a wee bit more complex but once accomplished it is very easy to pair up another headset. Up to 15 other Packtalk units can pair to the Bold. I always had trouble getting my Sena units to pair but that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I mainly use my J&M BT04 for music & nav directions. Since I have very poor hearing the quality is very important to me. I believe you would very happy with the J&M unit. Don't ask me how long the battery lasts, because I've never used it up yet. Their customer service is indeed exceptional. :serious: :smile2: :surprise:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought the sena 20s evo twin pack. One of them would not charge out of the box so I returned it to the store and have been waiting for a fix or replacement for 2 weeks now.

One of them was good, the other just would not charge. as I understand it the battery could have been over charged at the factory and that burns them out, basically I got a unit with a dead battery and they cannot be changed, a design flaw Sena have yet to acknowledge. Why would you not design it with replaceable batteries? Mobile phones are doing the same thing and I think it is a silly strategy that puts people off.

Otherwise, all said and done, I am happy with the sena that is working and I assume sena will fix or replace my other one soon.

The key to the sena sounding good is speaker placement. You must align them properly to your ear and pad them closer if needed. Sena have excellent videos on youtube on how to do this. I found the ear cut outs in my helmet are too high for my ear drums so I had to locate the speakers as far down as I could and that did the trick. They sound good now.

I have not tried other brands but most people seem to prefer the sena brand, even with some unexpected "teething" problems.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Funny I had the JM and through them in the trash. I have the Sena SRL and am happy with them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Crash,
I currently have a J&M BT-03 but am getting a new schuberth helmet and am going to have J&M install a new BT-04 on that. I AM going to send the helmet into J&M for the professional install. Here are a couple of things to consider:
1) The Sound Quality as many have stated, truly is excellent with the J&M units.
2) You will NOT find better service that John Lazzeroni and the entire J&M team (and no, no commission to be made here :) )
3) John will work with you. For me, he did a custom 3.5mm audio jack "pigtail" to accommodate my very expensive fit-ear ear buds (which allow me to turn the volumes down to ridiculously low levels - level 4 is too loud with the music with these ear-buds). Try getting Sena or Cardo to do anything custom to accommodate you. You may not need this, but it emphasizes the point that J&M is a smaller (not quite mom and pop) company that has built it's business on customer service and quality. John (with whom I have had many conversations and traded emails) is passionate to the point of obsession when it comes to sound quality.
4) Whether you sent your helmet into J&M is up to you and depends on the unit you choose. Installing the "clip on" version of the unit is really not too difficult and can be done at home. If you want the "permanently" mounted unit, thne sending it into J&M will ensure that it is installed professionally (I believe a small hole does get drilled).
5) You definitely want to consider your particular "use case". For example, my use-case is: ride solo 95% of the time; listen to music, navigation, have apple car play, have oem CB radio. I am still not sure ANY BT headset is going to allow all of this AND a private intercom chat with your pillion. I have found that on the rare occasion someone is on the back of my bike, as soon as she says something on the intercom SOMETHING drops off (music, car play, etc).

Do your homework and good luck!

Reactions: gray red rider

·
Registered
30 Posts
I purchased the Packtalk Bold JBL duo set early this spring for my wife & I to use on my '18 GW Tour DCT. I am not a very "tech" guy with all the new stuff out there but I was able to set up the units fairly easy. I did need to call Cardo on a few things I didn't understand, and Brian @ Cardo was simply great at helping me with the items & he was very knowledgeable on the new Goldwing's and working together with the Cardo units.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
packtalk bold here. they work perfectly with the honda, the passenger, the cb, and seamlessly play with other riders. the sound of the jbl speakers are incredible. my experience with customer service has also been good. do a youtube search. cardo beats sena in every category. sound, wind protection, battery life, etc...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
JMCORP BT-04 affords good sound quality. I have it on both my HJC IS-33 helmet as well as my Schuberth C3 Pro

Reactions: gray red rider

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
J&M BT-04 in my Shoei GT-Air II
Easy to install and typical high quality speaker sound.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
It depends on what you want. Originally I bought Sena’s for my wife and I and after coming from wired J&M I was extremely disappointed with the quality of the sound but other than that they worked fine and had a lot of options for both my wife and I. She liked her own music so she listened to her iPhone or FM and I listened to XM radio or my iPod except I just couldn’t tolerate the poor sound quality. I decided to go with BT04 from J&M with their larger speaker and the sound was awesome. They advertised that they would pair with non J&M headsets and so I paired it with my wife’s Sena. Although they paired they DO NOT play well together. The i/c works occasionally at best and if helmets aren’t used on an almost daily basis the pairing between them is lost and you must pair again and then the i/c will work, maybe. The other thing I don’t like about the J&M is the fact that you can only listen to one input. Your helmet is either paired to your phone, your bike or some other GPS. You can not toggle through them and choose the one you want. Their support on paper is also very poor, no PDF file to download and little or no instructions with purchase. They have videos to show you how to clear the pairing and then pair with another J&M headset and the bike but no mention anywhere of pairing with anything else.

To sum it up, if you want good sound with simplicity in using, the J&M is the answer but only if both headsets are J&M. If you want more bells and whistles then go with Cardo or Sena.

Just one question for you though, does your wife/girlfriend/partner like to be called a pillion? I don’t think I would still be alive if I referred to my wife as a “pillion’.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts