GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I got my BT45 today. Pretty sure it is supposed to be a bias ply tire, right?? In fact, the "new tire" sticker says bias on it. But on the sidewall, it is marked BT45r. Is that r for radial??

Do I really care?? Cuz the bias and my car tire will get along ok, right??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
OK, so I got my BT45 today. Pretty sure it is supposed to be a bias ply tire, right?? In fact, the "new tire" sticker says bias on it. But on the sidewall, it is marked BT45r. Is that r for radial??

Do I really care?? Cuz the bias and my car tire will get along ok, right??

Thanks!!
"R" = rear. You'll be just fine, I've run that combo for several 10K miles.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Test Pilot,
That is the correct tire.
MM

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Let the good times roll!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I hadn't planned on it, whats the idea behind mounting it in reverse?
Some believe it will disperse water better reversed . More detailed is rear tires are designed to shed water straight back. Front tires are designed to shed water out away from back tire. So a rear tire on front in normal direction will shed water right into rear tire. I am not convinced after watching fellow riders tire in rain for a 100 miles or so.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Belt layment vs stress applied

I hadn't planned on it, whats the idea behind mounting it in reverse?
The idea about reverse mounting is that, when a tire is manufactured, the belt inside the compound is wrapped in a given direction that is dependent on whether the tire will be used as a front or back tire. A rear tire used on the front is wrapped backwards if used in the marked direction. Remember, the stress on a front tire occurs when you apply the brakes.

Also, and to me the most important, reverse mounting makes it a better water tire as someone pointed out above.

Congrats on buying tires that will last longer and be safer if you treat them good! :congrats:

S

·
0 Posts
Gonna mount it reverse rotation:?::?:

I don't know why people mount then backwards however it is a bias so it doesn't really matter as far as longevity or function so I guess if you want to mount it backwards that's fine.
I am on my 3rd BT45 and average 26k per tire 32psi and not backwards if that helps.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The idea about reverse mounting is that, when a tire is manufactured, the belt inside the compound is wrapped in a given direction that is dependent on whether the tire will be used as a front or back tire. A rear tire used on the front is wrapped backwards if used in the marked direction. Remember, the stress on a front tire occurs when you apply the brakes.

Also, and to me the most important, reverse mounting makes it a better water tire as someone pointed out above.

Congrats on buying tires that will last longer and be safer if you treat them good! :congrats:
:agree:

S

·
0 Posts
It's a nice idea but doesn't hold water as the braking stress is the same whether the tire is on the front or on the rear. The wheel still has to stop and is still moving in the same direction front or rear.
This is just one of those things that just seems to make sense but in reality it just doesn't matter.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
On motorcycle tires tires marked for rear wheel installation are built to deal with acceleration forces (which far exceed braking forces when it is installed on the rear). If you reverse mount that "rear" tire onto the front, it is now oriented to accept the greater force provided by braking.

Not sure I buy into this, but is is what Avon tires once posted on the web. I also found the same logic/info posted on Metzler's website but now see that information is no longer there.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is the size bt45 rear tire that goes on the front.:?::?:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Rocket.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts