GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded a pacific Coast (PC800) for an '08 Gl1800. I was running double darkside and happy as a clam. On the Pacific coast everyone runs the Battlax BT-45 mounted backwards on the front. I read a lot here about the BT-45 but no one says anything about whether it's mounted backward or foreward. Can anyone advise.
Thanks
Harvey

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have my BT45 mounted in the forward rotation and all is well. :thumbup: Someone on here has tried both ways and was happy with either way. I just can't remember who it was. :shrug:

·
Registered
168 Posts
A few months back, a Poll was taken on which way to mount.

I believe that the results were about 50/50 with no clear winner.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
IMO if you run them backwards you lose the rain channel design.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
I have been both ways. First one ran reverse rotation at 40psi, started showing some cupping after 16K but ran it for 22K miles.

Second one is running "normal" rotation at 42psi and still going at 24K miles with slight cupping in last couple K. I probably ran more highway miles on this tire than last, so not really claiming improved miles due to rotation and/or pressure. IMHO, you can go either way. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
IMO if you run them backwards you lose the rain channel design.
My I, with respect, disagree?

The tread design for traction and rain channeling is supposed to bite when pulling on the rear tire, braking on the front tire. Look at a pair of ME880 front and rear, same tread design but reversed for a front or rear tire. So the thought goes, a tire designed to pull the bike on the rear, if run on the front would hold better under braking with reversed rotation.

Now that said, with ABS on my bike, I have yet to slip or slide a BT-45 regardless of which way it was rolling or how hard it was raining. And I have grabbed a full load of brakes more than once. My wife shoved me to the windshield once. The black cat that caused me to stop so dang fast lived another day.

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts

The tread design for traction and rain channeling is supposed to bite when pulling on the rear tire, braking on the front tire. Look at a pair of ME880 front and rear, same tread design but reversed for a front or rear tire. So the thought goes, a tire designed to pull the bike on the rear, if run on the front would hold better under braking with reversed rotation.

Now that said, with ABS on my bike, I have yet to slip or slide a BT-45 regardless of which way it was rolling or how hard it was raining. And I have grabbed a full load of brakes more than once. My wife shoved me to the windshield once. The black cat that caused me to stop so dang fast lived another day.

Just my humble opinion.
I'll have to check that out, may be 100% correct. My thinking is it was designed to rotate one direction and the tire would have no way of knowing if it is front or back, nor would it make a difference. It would not be the first time I was wrong though.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Went looking for an old thread with a long response I did some years ago, didn't find it. Oh well. Short response time. Water channeling and rotational arrows do matter, but only at high speeds for the most part nowadays. For majority of us sane riders that slow down when they should, won't matter. Dynamic forces of braking and acceleration on a bias-belted tire - was important in the olden days of tire manufacture so you didn't have belt delamination under the heavy applied torque of acceleration.

But with improved tire manufacturing processes nowadays, you can run the 45 front or backasswards to your heart's content. Some people have reported a buzzing sensation in the handlebars based on how the directional arrow was pointing that went away when they reversed the direction of rotation on the tire. I haven't noticed it on mine, I run with arrow forward rotation.

There are proponents for each direction, and both have reasonable sounding explanations. We do testing for OEMs, and used to race cars and talk with the manufacturer's. Tire manufacturing processes have changed over the years, what was valid 20 years ago not so much now.

End result, mount and ride with it as you desire, and enjoy the ride. 99.9% of us will never notice the difference.

·
Registered
831 Posts
rotation of front tire

Just my humble opinion.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am on my second bt45 front tire, have ran both in reverse direction, I feel that it will channel the rain water off to the side better....

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Bt-45

I agree every body that runs a Bt-45 has an opinion for good reason. I'm on my third tire. I've rum them both ways and I can't see much difference. I just know the BT-45 is a great tire in my opinion and I'm happy with it. It works for me. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have to apologize, :oops: I checked my Bt45 today during a ride and mine is in the reverse rotation and has 10,000 on it.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I agree every body that runs a Bt-45 has an opinion for good reason. I'm on my third tire. I've rum them both ways and I can't see much difference. I just know the BT-45 is a great tire in my opinion and I'm happy with it. It works for me. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry
Me too! Works for me.... I ran the first one backwards, this one running forwards. Can't tell the difference.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts