GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going Dbl dark later this summer before a big ride to Maggie Valley for a FJR gig in September and a run to Kitty Hawk to dip my boots in the Atlantic. I have learned from here to expect cupping if pushing hard in the twisty stuff however most of this trip will be crossing the good old US of A.
Cupping aside how does the BT handle up front? Would I be able to expect the same level of confidence as I get from the Stone 709 in case I start having some fun back there?
FYI.. one up loaded & packed for a trip.
Opinions wanted.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I have 31,000 miles on a BT-45 and 3/32's tread left in center at 40 PSI. Not an aggressive rider. Just finished a near 1800 mile ride and more sweepers than twisties and very little slab. I have not tried the 709, but I think you will like the BT-45. I will be installing a 709 shortly to compare the two. YMMV

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
just got 20,000 on mine - shows some cupping now . plenty tread left - in florida -not lot twisties but go mtns about 3/4 times a year. on 2nd bt will get another when needed. for twisties or hard riding think 709 better but overall like bt45 . good luck. both will get job done - matter what style driving you do !

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I am thinking about going Dbl dark later this summer before a big ride to Maggie Valley for a FJR gig in September and a run to Kitty Hawk to dip my boots in the Atlantic. I have learned from here to expect cupping if pushing hard in the twisty stuff however most of this trip will be crossing the good old US of A.
Cupping aside how does the BT handle up front? Would I be able to expect the same level of confidence as I get from the Stone 709 in case I start having some fun back there?
FYI.. one up loaded & packed for a trip.
Opinions wanted.
It will handle anything you throw at it . It to me seems a bit sluggish for transitioning in corners and a little slower braking . But otherwise besides from tearing up edges quickly it does fine . I could not get it or the Avon road rider to wash out on corners . They do wear like forever for straight up touring riding.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
It will handle anything you throw at it . It to me seems a bit sluggish for transitioning in corners and a little slower braking . But otherwise besides from tearing up edges quickly it does fine . I could not get it or the Avon road rider to wash out on corners . They do wear like forever for straight up touring riding.
:agree: It is not as sticky as the 709. As Rail said...heavier feel than 709. You will love the soft ride!! Can't feel the cracks in the road with this tire! I would run higher pressure...specifically in the twisty stuff. I like 44# to 46# cold pressure....this helps over come the heavy feeling.

Oh..you will notice tar snakes and road paint when it is wet more than the 709! But pretty good in the gravel. And like above...this tire wears like concrete on the slab!! Be safe and have a good trip!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gents, feed back from those who have used this tire is always appreciated. Tar snakes just suck in the warm months.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Its my favorite front tire and I thought that I ride the twisties hard, and didn't notice any bad habits like others must not be as fast as they are:shock: JV

·
Registered
385 Posts
Put a BT45 on about 12,000 miles ago and it's showing very little signs of wear and no cupping.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Thanks Gents, feed back from those who have used this tire is always appreciated. Tar snakes just suck in the warm months.
Yes, they do!! Hit a couple the other day on UT 95 right after the Colorado River Bridge, talk about a wake up! It was about 6PM and they had been sunning themselves all day.

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
:agree:hit some about 6 inches wide on a sweeper in ga. :22yikes:hello!! they're there to keep us alert ! it works ;)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Question

I just installed my 3rd BT-45. We are leaving for Alaska on the 6th of June. I also installed a BT-45 in 2012 before that trip to Alaska. I have never had a problem with that tire. I like the cost, and the millage. It works for me. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its my favorite front tire and I thought that I ride the twisties hard, and didn't notice any bad habits like others must not be as fast as they are:shock: JV
Hey neighbor Jim, tires-just another reason we why need to get together and ride.

Yes, they do!! Hit a couple the other day on UT 95 right after the Colorado River Bridge, talk about a wake up! It was about 6PM and they had been sunning themselves all day.
Know just of where you speak, I can imagine the snakes being nice and gooey by 6 pm.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I've got about 8000 on my current one, Grampawinger has around 20k - still wearing well and we both just got back from a little jaunt down to the Tennessee Lunch Run. Last November we did the IBA in Texas. And we have yet to do a long distance ride without pouring rain.

Tire handles well, good for slab riding and will work for ya in the twisties unless you try to keep up with Robeth or Yellow Wolf. ;)

My two favorite front tires are the 709 and the BT45. Right now I'm using the BT45, will get another one once this one wears out. I use around 41 psi. You will notice a bit of a "growl" when leaning hard in the sweepers as it transitions to the sidewall tread. But the tire holds well.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I've got about 8000 on my current one, Grampawinger has around 20k - still wearing well and we both just got back from a little jaunt down to the Tennessee Lunch Run. Last November we did the IBA in Texas. And we have yet to do a long distance ride without pouring rain.

Tire handles well, good for slab riding and will work for ya in the twisties unless you try to keep up with Robeth or Yellow Wolf. ;)

My two favorite front tires are the 709 and the BT45. Right now I'm using the BT45, will get another one once this one wears out. I use around 41 psi. You will notice a bit of a "growl" when leaning hard in the sweepers as it transitions to the sidewall tread. But the tire holds well.
Make that 26,447 miles on my BT45 and it still has 5/32 or the original 9/32 tread depth. It still rides smooth as glass on new asphalt paving and has no cupping. I have used Dyna Beads since the tire was mounted and usually run at around 40-42 psi at 75 degrees. I use a Tiregard TPMS and the BT45 tire pressure will quickly increase around 5 psi after a few miles.

I could care less about how it handles in the twisties because my riding is mostly IBA long distance endurance riding....mostly on the super slab.

I use a run-flat rear tire because of a lesson learned from a flat tire while running an OEM Dunlap tire in the boonies of Montana. The expressway exit had no services and I had to lay the bike on it's side to plug the leak.

I run the BT45 for safety reasons. It stands to reason that a tire that is normally used as a rear tire on a small sport bike is much safer. The high mileage is another major plus.

gramps

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm using the bt45 on both my gl1500 & gl1800 now. On my gl1800 I just put on my 2nd bt45 after wearing out the 1st at 35-36k mi. I don't ride real hard (usually 10-15mph over the limit), but it is mixed between slab & twisted. On my gj1500 I have 36k mi. on my bt45. That bike gets mostly slab riding anymore (my commuter). That tire has a lot of tread left , but it is cupping. Personally I have never had issues with washing out a front tire (even a worn out slick) if I wasn't on **** (sand, gravel, grass) to begin with. Until I found the bt45 I never was happy with the price/ mileage I got from a tire, but the bt45 lasts the longest (much longer) & is the cheapest, it is the only front tire I'm putting on either bike as long as I can get it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
last week after a 5k mile ride, I noticed my BT45 looked a little worn... checked the miles and it has over 32k on it. Very little cupping. They like 40+ # of pressure and Dynabeads. After using this tire for well over 300k, it is the only tire for me. I have never worn one out as far as having no tread left. Some early ones felt like a tractor tire after 25k. The edges of this tire are softer than the center so they will grip well in the twisties, but if that is all you ride, they won't last all that long. Best long distance tire by far IMHO.

Enjoy your trip!

:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts