GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read time and again how much better the BT45 is as far as mileage, wet traction and longevity is concerned. I've also read how this is not the tire to use if one plans on spending time carving through the twistys and that the G709 is much better suited for curves. My question is since both are "motorcycle tires," even if one is designed for the rear end of a bike, how is one so much better than the other? What's the basis for this assessment? Will the BT45 fail me if I'm getting to aggressive through a stretch of curves? I went through 2 709's before switching off to the BT45 and while I'm certain I'm not anywhere near as skilled as yellow wolf or others here, I'm very curious about the differences between these two otherwise very popular tires. Thanks in advance!

Ron

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I've read time and again how much better the BT45 is as far as mileage, wet traction and longevity is concerned. I've also read how this is not the tire to use if one plans on spending time carving through the twistys and that the G709 is much better suited for curves. My question is since both are "motorcycle tires," even if one is designed for the rear end of a bike, how is one so much better than the other? What's the basis for this assessment? Will the BT45 fail me if I'm getting to aggressive through a stretch of curves? I went through 2 709's before switching off to the BT45 and while I'm certain I'm not anywhere near as skilled as yellow wolf or others here, I'm very curious about the differences between these two otherwise very popular tires. Thanks in advance!

Ron
Ron , I run a bt-45 also. I ride the twisty's pretty hard. (Nothing like yellowolf.) But I don't just ride flat straight roads or slabs and I get 20k out of the tire. I have no idea what they are getting out of the 709 but i don't think it's anywhere near that much..

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I haven't tried the '45 yet.
Got about 21k miles out of my last 709.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I have 24,641 miles on my BT-45 and it still has 5/32 of the original 9/32" of tread. The vast majority of the miles are expressway miles.

I have not used the 709, but it is an outstanding tire.

The BT-45 is fatter and may be safer by being able to carry more weight. It also handles a drenching rain with no problem.

gramps

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
We have tried both and prefer the G709 to the Battlax, though We got about the same amount of useable life out of both (~8,000). We are always two up, heavy, and ride the slab as little as possible. About 50% of our riding is on easy though not straight roads, the other half is in the mountains of WV/VA, and though we cannot keep up with the likes of Murgie or YW et al, we do ok.
The G709 has always given excellent performance wet or dry and has worn evenly and consistantly during their entire life. No noise or any other ill effects regardless of where in its life it is. We are on our fourth G709.

Contrast this with the Battlax. Though I have no complaints regarding its traction, from the first 1,000 miles there was a buzz in the handlebars at a very specific speed ~ 30MPH. It wore well and evenly for the first 5,000 mile, and looked to have most (75-80%) of its tread left. Since we were still new to the wing (~10,000 miles) we did not know what it could actually do. Our riding was a little aggressive, but not overly so. Then came our first Dark Side Ride in and things changed. We spent a few days seeing what the wing could really do in the hands of some very skilled riders and was able to improve our own riding as a result. After that 1,400 mile learning experience the BT45 was all but shot as it was cupped on the edges and louder than ever. The center still had loads of tread left but the rest was toast. We consistantly ran 41 PSI in both tires, but since then have only used the G709.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
We have tried both and prefer the G709 to the Battlax, though We got about the same amount of useable life out of both (~8,000). We are always two up, heavy, and ride the slab as little as possible. About 50% of our riding is on easy though not straight roads, the other half is in the mountains of WV/VA, and though we cannot keep up with the likes of Murgie or YW et al, we do ok.
The G709 has always given excellent performance wet or dry and has worn evenly and consistantly during their entire life. No noise or any other ill effects regardless of where in its life it is. We are on our fourth G709.

Contrast this with the Battlax. Though I have no complaints regarding its traction, from the first 1,000 miles there was a buzz in the handlebars at a very specific speed ~ 30MPH. It wore well and evenly for the first 5,000 mile, and looked to have most (75-80%) of its tread left. Since we were still new to the wing (~10,000 miles) we did not know what it could actually do. Our riding was a little aggressive, but not overly so. Then came our first Dark Side Ride in and things changed. We spent a few days seeing what the wing could really do in the hands of some very skilled riders and was able to improve our own riding as a result. After that 1,400 mile learning experience the BT45 was all but shot as it was cupped on the edges and louder than ever. The center still had loads of tread left but the rest was toast. We consistantly ran 41 PSI in both tires, but since then have only used the G709.
My story almost verbatim. Had a BT45 on because I am frugal and thought I liked it ok. Went to DSRI and tried to hang with the faster guys and the tire was shot very quickly. It also steers "heavy" in my opinion. Know that I can't feel much difference in any rear tire from another but the difference between the G709 and the BT45 is huge, again in my opinion. There are things I will compromise on but the front tire ain't one of them. Seems to be a pretty important part of the equation.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Why I don't have a BT45

Rapid, exactly why I did not go the BT45 route. I spend lots of time in the rockies and love scrapping :lol:.
...gene

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just put a BT 45 on my frist have 1200 miles on it I love the ride. My wing never rode so well even out of the box. Very quiet handles well. Sounds to me like both these tires are good fits for us darksiders it just a matter of were we ride. :doorag:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Anyone experience cold weather cracking of their BT45 while in storage or in use in the northern climates?
Should have no problems .
My story almost verbatim. Had a BT45 on because I am frugal and thought I liked it ok. Went to DSRI and tried to hang with the faster guys and the tire was shot very quickly. It also steers "heavy" in my opinion. Know that I can't feel much difference in any rear tire from another but the difference between the G709 and the BT45 is huge, again in my opinion. There are things I will compromise on but the front tire ain't one of them. Seems to be a pretty important part of the equation.
Yes for riders who can push their wings the double Darkside is not the way to go for handling . For those who ride their their wings and are concerned about tire milage the double dark cannot be beat . Extra tread depth combined with harder rubber in the middle of the tire will produce best milage . Traction is good , ride is smoother , and does give ya more ground clearance . But not the choice for me . For the riders I ride with I would say maybe half I would recommend them trying it here around Wi.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Well I'm slow, but I'm going to stay with the 709 cause I like it!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I like this Rocketman guy. We should meet up and go for a ride someday. You'll have to show me your post hole digger method of tire changes.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I like this Rocketman guy. We should meet up and go for a ride someday. You'll have to show me your post hole digger method of tire changes.
I can assure the both of ya. You 2 will get along super well !!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Rapid, exactly why I did not go the BT45 route. I spend lots of time in the rockies and love scrapping :lol:.
...gene
I hear you, Gene. I only enjoy riding in the mountains anymore. I ride to work everyday when the snow is gone and I don't mind riding the slab to get to the mtns. But I don't just ride around after work here in Flatland country. If the road ain't twisty I don't want to ride it. Usually.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I can assure the both of ya. You 2 will get along super well !!

There are those who would tell you nobody can get along with me. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You weren't the Hack-ee were you? Can't figure out how that got on here. Maybe Bobby?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You weren't the Hack-ee were you? Can't figure out how that got on here. Maybe Bobby?
Geeeeez....give a guy a ride and the next thing you know you're a hacker,:twisted:.You'll have to look elsewhere Ray....wasn't me..:lol:

I bet it was that Elrod guy...........he just looks guilty,lol

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Cute avatar you have there Mr. Ray. :thumbup:
No not me. Lol
Geeeeez....give a guy a ride and the next thing you know you're a hacker,:twisted:.You'll have to look elsewhere Ray....wasn't me..:lol:

I bet it was that Elrod guy...........he just looks guilty,lol
Elrod?? :shock: He don't know nothin' 'bout them there 'puters. :nojoke: Who pointed it out in the first place, then lol'd? Hmmm. Mr. Murgie is the only one I know here that is a whizbang with 'puters. He could do that hackin'. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts