GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Really???????

On second thought, try them out and give a report on them. It could be interesting.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
If anyone wants that market, I'll let you market my parking brake invention for trikes:

Now that would be great on a 30% grade with a full trailer when you start rolling backwards!;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
I once took both cargo doors off a Cessna U206 to take two skydivers, a camera man and a new broadcaster for an airshow promo up. After the skydivers exit, I pulled the power back and got BIG turbulance popping in the cabin. One of them stuck their hand out that open door area and it quit. I said what did you do? He told me, I said put it back out there. He turned sideways and stuck his boot out just a little and it stopped the rest of the way down. (Skydivers save your breath, I know now I was supposed to install a deflector fwd of doorway opening)

The point of that story, as I learned from that experience is that something so simple that you would never think about will work. Maybe this guy is onto something?

Regards,

G

·
I can see a start of an new winger craze - the end to all wobbles, heating issues, ADV problems and buffeting cured by adding rumble strips to the helmet.
Next thing you know motorcycles will be built for tires ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
One other thing! He mentions reducing lift. He is correct! If you don't believe me take a #2 Craftsman scewdriver blade pointed straight down and a air blow nozzle and blow it right across the top of the rounded ball on the handle at about a 60 degree angle pointed up. The screwdriver will fly with nothing but the air/lift holding it up. (I have won a few $5 bets making a scewdriver hang in mid air). Go out to your shop and give the old screwdriver trick a try. You be calling the whole family out!!!

Again, I don't think we sould discount the rumble strip idea on the helmets until we have tried it, because any smooth round surface with air over it creates lift. RE: the cockpit hump on the Boeing 747s.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Jim....we could fabricate something like this and beta test it up here. Not many riders, so being seen making a fool out of ourselves would be at a minimum. IF it should prove out to be a real benefit, we could contact one of only a handful of qualified persons on this board to give the :thumbup:

What do you think? :joke:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Another example of lift or actually killing of lift is when people secure their small airplanes in remote areas without hangars when extreme winds are expected. They will strap 2X4s along the top of the wings (lengthwise) on the Cessna singles right above the main spars where the leading edge skin and main top skins join. Oh, one other example for the NASCAR fans on the board. The spoiler that flips up out of the top when the car get around backwards that keeps the car on the ground. What is it doing "Killing lift"!
Same principal as the rumble strip on the helmet.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We tried the rumbles and could not feel any change in buffeting.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can you get them with LEDs? Or maybe I Disco ball??? :joke::joke:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Another example of lift or actually killing of lift is when people secure their small airplanes in remote areas without hangars when extreme winds are expected. They will strap 2X4s along the top of the wings (lengthwise) on the Cessna singles right above the main spars where the leading edge skin and main top skins join. Oh, one other example for the NASCAR fans on the board. The spoiler that flips up out of the top when the car get around backwards that keeps the car on the ground. What is it doing "Killing lift"!
Same principal as the rumble strip on the helmet.
When i was flying as A Flight Engineer on Chinnoks, I discoved by accident, with the rear ramp down at 140 knots you could pour about half a coffee cup of water out the left hand side at the rear and it would swirl in a hover (like a mini tornado) about 4 feet above the ramp! It was so cool! (The things you discover on long filght in the artic!!!)

·
Registered
931 Posts
I used a Rumble Strip on my Shoei RF800 helmet when I was primarily riding a Honda Valkyrie Tourer. In theory it may help in a controled environment but I never perceived that it made any difference and I probably used it for upwards of 40,000 miles. When I bought my Arai Profile, I did not buy another rumble strip...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Add this to the list

I have just added it to the list of .....Amsoil, Igniter plugs, magnetic fuel conditioners, K&N air cleaners, garlic necklaces and evil chasing guardian bells.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts

I do not know if these strips would work on helmets for buffeting, but :

I doubt many of the folks here have done much with land speed racing. I am talking about stuff at 175 - 250+ mph stuff in cars.

On the roof of many cars you will see a raised strip that runs front to back on the roofs. Two strips usually on the roof line depending on the curve of the roof... often no more than 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch high.

The strips are there to disrupt air flow (lift) if the car gets sideways at speed like a spin out on the Salt at Bonneville. The idea is to not have the car act like a kite and fly.

Some guys use the flaps on the roofs like the Nascar guys use. A friend of mine runs a 250 mph Studebaker and he has the flaps on his car's roof. The flaps have deployed in spin outs over 200mph

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
What is the difference between a Buffet and a Buffet'?

The Buffet serves ice tea with the meal, the Buffet' charges extra. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts