GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returned from Bike Week last Sunday. 6 hours in a 25 to 30 headwind at 75 to 80 MPH on the interstate. Buffeting, expecially around semi-trucks became an issue for my rider. "My 5'3" honey who tolerates my love for motorcycles." We ride with full face helments on that distance, but by the end of the day her neck was honestly hurt. I'm open for all suggestions, but would prefer actual unbiased experience with real experiences on helping or curing the buffeting issue. Thanks, Dale

·
Registered
578 Posts
Also just returned from 4600 mile ride to Daytona and back.. Wind buffeting is a way of life around tractor trailers. Keep 100 foot distance from rear of big rigs and pass them carefully and quickly. When passing big rigs, especially when cross winds are present, be prepared for a gust as you complete your pass. KEEP BOTH HANDS FIRMLY ON YOUR GRIPS...be a grouch like me and don't wave to every bike on the other side of the round when riding in congested areas.

·
Registered
386 Posts
As a co-rider I have to say that one of the things I that really helps especially around big trucks, is the mirror wings. We have the Baker wings but I assume the Tulsa would be just as effective. We picked up a pair at Americade last year and I could immediately feel the difference on the way home. The first truck we passed I braced for the "big blast" and much to my surprise, it never happened!

I don't think you can get rid of all the buffetting, but the air wings really help cut down on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know Tulsa makes a fine product as I have ridden my friends Valkyries with the Tulsa windshield. For me it is just the looking over the windshield thing. I have a Windbender HP with Baker mirror wings and this has pretty much eliminated the buffeting thing for me and my passenger. When she is not riding with me I lower it and enjoy the clean air around me with the air that would buffet going over my head.

I am sure it would not be like this for everyone due to height differences etc. To each their own but that is my experience. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
George is right. How you sit and your trunk length are so important on the Wing. If you're real tall in the saddle, you're gonna have problems. Just going to a taller windshield isn't the whole answer, because the air dynamics are wierd the farther you get from the fairing top.

I've solved the problem with a Tulsa extra tall shield and the Baker wings.

If Lazygirl didn't ride with me sometimes, I might just go with a sport shield, so my head would be in the clean air, like it is on my open bikes.

·
Registered
759 Posts
solved ALL my buffeting problems using two items: 1: tulsa mirror wings. 2: honda side windshield extensions. these two items took all the buffeting off me and especially my passenger. I run a T bag on my passenger seat when I ride single, and not one bug has hit my bag since installing this equipment. before, the bag was covered in bugs. I also got some relief of buffeting from passing large trucks by installing a tulsa belly pan. I dont know how it works, but it does help stability when passing.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have one word for you TULSA. There products will take care of all your problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts