GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so there’s a first time for everything:

Riding back to Texas (in the middle of the night) after another excellent adventure in Colorado, I stopped to refuel. Pulled the nozzle out of the tank and in the blink of an eye a moth about the size of a penny flew right down the fill hole. 2:00 AM so not much I can do. A couple more stops for gas and 300 miles later made it home without incident.

My question:
Anyone experience this? Did you replace the fuel filter? If it was easy to get to I would do it but not really interested in taking the tank off to pull the pump.

I quizzed my Honda service manager, his response, don’t worry about.

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
362 Posts
The bug will dissolve in the gas. It should not cover the pump suction all at once. This is a fascinating first time though! If you are worried about it I would get a 1 inch or 3/4" clear tygon tube and fill the tank. Siphon the tank and fill several times. You may get lucky and siphon it or it's major parts out????? Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Have to be careful with the syphon hose down the gas tank filler. It is easy to contact and bend one of the float's on the fuel pump assembly.
Seen it... not fun!

Corventure Dave

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
There is a huge fuel filter that is attached to the fuel pump assembly. The filter is not sold separately. My guess is that the moth took a ride on the pump nozzle, and that how it ended up in your tank. I too would not worry about it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a huge fuel filter that is attached to the fuel pump assembly. The filter is not sold separately. My guess is that the moth took a ride on the pump nozzle, and that how it ended up in your tank. I too would not worry about it.

Thanks Greg!
The nozzle was 15" - 20" away. That sucker flew right down the hole. Probably more like fell in as soon as the fumes got the poor creature.

:eek:4:

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Thanks Greg!
The nozzle was 15" - 20" away. That sucker flew right down the hole. Probably more like fell in as soon as the fumes got the poor creature.

:eek:4:
FYI ... only the moths in Texas like getting high on gas fumes.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have a couple sticks down the tank of my fuel injected Ski-Doo snowmobile. One has been in there for maybe 8-10 years, almost since new. The other joined it a few years ago. (Don't ask) Anyways, I pulled the tank in an effort to try to get them out but was unsuccessful and unwilling to get the tool to remove the pump cover so they still reside there and haven't caused any problem. Big filter mesh around the pump typically.

Reactions: TrapDog
1 - 10 of 10 Posts