GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best product for removing lovebug residue from the paintwork without doing damage to the clearcoat?

JJ

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
dunno about Lovebugs, but i've used WD-40 on some pretty messy remains on my GW's without any problems.
Good luck to ya,
the hobo

·
Registered
596 Posts
The #1 rule is get them off quickly before they dry to concrete :wink:

But I found a product at our local NAPA store that works well on the concrete bugs. It's called "Bugs B' Gone" or sumpin like that. I wet the surface, spray it on, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and the bugs wipe right off for the most part. Then I rinse the residue off. I've used it for a couple of years on both bikes and all three cars with no problem.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Soak a towel with hot water and lay it over the bugs... in about 5-10 min they are soft enough to wipe right off....

Melissa

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use a wet dryer sheet (bonce), it removes all the bugs. We also have those wonderful love bugs here in nw Florida. ( Ft walton Beach area)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting the lovebug itself off isn't difficult. It is the bug juice that is so hard to get off. Don't know what kind of adhesive a lovebug has in it, but puts 3M adhesives to shame.

JJ

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Sassy said:
Soak a towel with hot water and lay it over the bugs... in about 5-10 min they are soft enough to wipe rigt off....

Melissa
This is the safest and least expensive method. And water will not hurt your finish.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Use straight hydrogen peroxide on a sponge. Wipe on wet , let stand a minute then wipe off with a damp cloth. Found this tidbit right here on the board. Works on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
A warm soapy soft cloth and just hold it on the area for a few minutes - do not move it around or you will scratch the paint. Rinse and repeat - I found this works very well.

Patrick

Chemicals are not always the answer

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Any way that you can apply moisture over a period of time will be the gentle way to remove it. The warm water soaked towel is probably the best start. Leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes to soften the bugs.

When on the road, I use Pledge and terry cloth towels at a gas stop. Wet down those bugs with the Pledge, let them sit awhile and then wipe them off.

When returning home, it is easier to use the hose and a large towel.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I keep a nylon stocking in the bike for the windshield as it will not scratch anything. I use pantyhose for the rest of the bike for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
jamie said:
I keep a nylon stocking in the bike for the windshield as it will not scratch anything. I use pantyhose for the rest of the bike for the same reason.
How do you get them to fit over the bike. :lol:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I don't know how bad the product is for the Wing, but you wouldn't
believe how well Dow (or generic) Scrubbing Bubbles works. I got
bug guts off that were on for three years. Goof Off, WD40, peanut
butter wouldn't even get the stuff off. But like I said, I don't know
if it eats clear coat too.

Let it soak overnight.

Herb

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sassy said:
Soak a towel with hot water and lay it over the bugs... in about 5-10 min they are soft enough to wipe right off....

Melissa
Yup, all it takes is a little warm water and time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts