GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not new, nor did I think of it.....but....Before washing your bug covered bike, put some Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle and spray it liberally on the bugs. Let it set for a couple minutes and you'll find most of them come off with just the spray from a hose.

Guess there's something in there that disolves the little buggers.

Some choose to mix it 50/50 with water. It works too just not as well.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Thanks Paul,

Works Great on Love Bugs too! (They'll be here next month...)(But I won't...:thumbup:)

Lance

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Thanks, I've been using a 50/50 mix for a while with no ill affects.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I use a Honda's bra on the painted surface in front that works great for bugs and wet towels for the windshield. :thumbup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I use a Honda's bra on the painted surface in front that works great for bugs and wet towels for the windshield. :thumbup:
Lemon Pledge for Bra, windshield and anything painted or chrome. I live in the love bug capital of the world. Always keep a can in the trunk with a micro fibre towel..............Sometimes you can't even see through the windshield. Pledge will take it right off. Good for helmet and face shield too...A Must have for any trip in the south..........:yes1:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will it hurt the paint, or stain the windshield?

Nope, especially if you wash it right afterward. If you're not washing it completely, might want to use the 50/50 solution.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It's not new, nor did I think of it.....but....Before washing your bug covered bike, put some Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle and spray it liberally on the bugs. Let it set for a couple minutes and you'll find most of them come off with just the spray from a hose.

Guess there's something in there that disolves the little buggers.

Some choose to mix it 50/50 with water. It works too just not as well.
Cool! I'll try it! I just got home from a 1600+ mile trip. Bad bug mess! Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Plexus works great also. I have never had a problem with getting rid of the bugs/guts/splattering. Even the baked on ones.:thumbup:

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
I don't run over bugs so it's not a problem for me. :duck::lol:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I believe if the label is read carefully, most over the counter bottles of hydrogen peroxide are only either a 3% or 6% concentration solution anyway, i.e., they are 94% or 97% water. So, diluting to a 50/50 mixture may be reducing the strength to only about 1 1/2%. Apparently, a little does a lot.
Safe riding.

Rick

·
Registered
499 Posts
It goes after protein and that is what bugs are made of. It won't harm paint or plastics but keep it off of you hair unless you want to be blonde!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I found a cleaner/wax that works on bugs and tar called FW1.....see my website.

Ron
www.cowhidecovers.com

·
Registered
537 Posts
using a 50/50 mix is just plain stupid..... :joke:

if you read the label there is only a 3% solution to begin with...

that means the bottle you buy is 97% WATER

peroxide only affects biologicals..... so unless the rest of the wing
is made out of living tissue, peroxide cant hurt a thing....

it looks great foaming and dissolving bug guts

just spray it on and watch the show :cool:

A

·
0 Posts
Just a little caution about Hydrogen Peroxide. I use it on the bike for bugs and it works great. I sat the plsstic spray bottle on the roof of my '68 Cutlass and forgot it was there. The next time I used it I sat the bottle on the trunk of said Cutlass. Now where I sat the bottle there are two paint blisters on the roof and trunk that I thought were water drops. They're not. I must have a tiny leak in the seam of the bottle that kept the liquid in contact with the paint.

I'm sure if you wipe it up right away or don't let it pool on painted metal surfaces all will be fine. Sadly, my Cutlass now has a couple extra blemishes.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I keep a ziplock bag in the small compartment next to the rear seat. In the bag is a micro-fiber cloth saturated in peroxide so it's handy on the road and on trips. I've learned that a ziplock designed for frozen food lasts longer (up to a year) than a regular ziplock bag. Makes it quick and easy to keep the bugs cleaned off. Just reach into the bag and sqeeze the excess out of the cloth (letting it remain in the bag), and return the cloth when done. When the cloth gets dirty toss it in the washing machine and change the peroxide in the bag. The Dollar Store nearby has a quart of peroxide for a buck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts