GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

It seems that my speaker grills are slowly filling up with the remains of dead insects. I would like to clean them out but not sure how to get the grills off. I (lightly!) tried prying off one of the grills but was not having any luck so figured that I may as well ask you guys before I do something that I would regret.

As always, all replys are appreciated!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bugs Out

Let us know what year Gold Wing you have.

2001-2005's have different grilles than the 2006-2012's

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
His profile says 2010...

·
Registered
220 Posts
in through the frount vents.. They clean easy when you remove the meter panal and speaker grels..

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well whatya know? I did what Brian said about the meter cover and 1 minute later no more bugs! What I did was simply pop the cover loose then take out my air hose and gently blow the bug remains out. Takes longer to type this than it took me.

Thanks for the advice! Now I can listen to the Beatles without having to put up with insects!

·
Registered
889 Posts
LOTS of bugs where I ride. While I had my front fairing cover off to do some work on the windshield, I took a piece of window screen wire, cut it to a size to allow it to be fitted to the inside of the fairing and formed around the front vent where the bugs enter. After I got the screen wire shaped to my satisfaction, I took some silicone adhesive and applied a bead across the inside of the fairing around the vent and placed the screen on the bead of adhesive and gently pressed it down into it. I used a couple of popsicle sticks to do the pressing. Once I got the screen flush to the inside of the fairing all around, I smeared the adhesive down smoothly all around into the screen wire. Set it aside and allowed the adhesive to dry, then reinstalled the fairing cover.

You can see the screen from the outside if you look, but it stops the bugs from entering the fairing vent and proceeding to other places like the speaker screens and inside the speedo cover. You have to be a bit careful not to deform the screen when removing bug guts from it, but it works very well for me. And the screen wire can always be removed and replaced if it gets to looking to bad for you. You may not like this fix, but it works very well for me.

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Actually, on the inner part of the fairing, along side the forks is where these bugs + other items such as leafs enter. There is a mismatch in the fairing panels there.
You can either blow the debri back out the bottom where it got in(below the speakers) or wash it out when you wash your bike.
I hold the hose nozzle over the speaker grill, pointed down. I do not shoot water or air directly on the speaker cones.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The '12 has the same problem. I noticed grass, bugs, and road debris blowing inside the speaker grille on my way back from Okie. There are no vents on the '12 but as described above, the panels beside the forks are open. I'm going to plug something in there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I find this problem annoying on my '08 too and was wondering if anyone has tried simply closing off the vent somehow? What does that vent really do other than look nice?

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I find this problem annoying on my '08 too and was wondering if anyone has tried simply closing off the vent somehow? What does that vent really do other than look nice?
The debri enters though "openings" between the fairing panels adjacent to the forks. "vent" has nothing to do with it!

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
I get rid of mine by washing my Wing like it is a car. I wash my entire dash and speaker area with a soap and water and hose it off like a car. Sometimes I spray extra hard in the speaker area that has plasic behind it ... it helps rinse them out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
bugs in speaker grills

Rusty when you are running down the road "CAREFULLY" put your hand on the grill and the back draft will get ride of alot of those.....

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I get rid of mine by washing my Wing like it is a car. I wash my entire dash and speaker area with a soap and water and hose it off like a car. Sometimes I spray extra hard in the speaker area that has plasic behind it ... it helps rinse them out.
Greg, quit screwing around and get an industrial pressure washer, that will clean things in a snap... ;)

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
Greg, quit screwing around and get an industrial pressure washer, that will clean things in a snap... ;)
When I lived in an apartment and couldn't wash with a hose, I pressure washed at the quarter wash. Many never wash their in fear of hurting things. I'm not saying I would pressure wash the dash, and handle bar switches under high pressure, but the nicest bikes I work on are like mine ... they are washed and waxed. I remember a 2006 that came in a couple of months ago with 110k and was one of the cleanes Wings I had ever see. My first comments ... you wash and wax your bike don't you?

The ones in the most worst shape never get washed and always polished with that Honda stuff over a dirt. For the ones that do that, wash a bike like that and even the washing feels funny. It is really the worst way to care for a Wing.

And of course, most important, read the Owners Manual on caring for your Wing and it will tell you to wash it with a mild deturgent with cold water.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts