GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is a certified Harley Tech ( graduated from MMI in Orlando)and has done a some work on my Goldwing from time to time. He and I are thinking about trying to trike my bike by ourselves. We would probably use a Champion Trike kit. My question is have any of you built your own trike from a kit and if so how difficult is it and what special tools might be needed. I can save about $6000. by doing it ourselves. That is a lot of money to save if the project is not too difficult. I am just open to any ideas and suggestions. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
My son is a certified Harley Tech ( graduated from MMI in Orlando)and has done a some work on my Goldwing from time to time. He and I are thinking about trying to trike my bike by ourselves. We would probably use a Champion Trike kit. My question is have any of you built your own trike from a kit and if so how difficult is it and what special tools might be needed. I can save about $6000. by doing it ourselves. That is a lot of money to save if the project is not too difficult. I am just open to any ideas and suggestions. Thanks.

$6,000.00!!!!!!!:22yikes::22yikes::22yikes: Who the heck charges $6,000.00?????????????:shrug: I want'a work for that guy!:bow:

To answer your question a Champion kit is very well engineered and not too bad for a one timer to install. No special tools, no welding, but a Harley mechanic on a Goldwing :eek:4: Has he got any metric wrenches? :tools1: Can he survive the process without the taste,smell and feel of oil? :eek:

PS.... Jus' kiddin'.:joke::joke: You guys will have a blast.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If your son is a certified Harley guy, I can't imagine this being anything more than a snap for him. Like was said, may need some new tools, but if he can tear down and rebuild a Harley, he should be able to follow instructions with no problem. IMHO.

I would say go for it. BTW, my installer charged me $1100 in '06 to hang my kit on the back.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
My Motor Trike kit was installed for $900. This included a "tune up" at 600 and 4,000 miles.

I

·
0 Posts
Who ever told you it would cost $6000 to install a Champion kit..or any other for that matter?????:roll: 1 to 2 grand tops for installation.

Install yourself if you like, but just remember that if there are problems, they are your problems, and Champion will not likely cover anything without a huge argument.

My advice (if you care) is to have it installed by an experienced and quality Champion installer. Sure worked for me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Who ever told you it would cost $6000 to install a Champion kit..or any other for that matter?????:roll: 1 to 2 grand tops for installation.

Install yourself if you like, but just remember that if there are problems, they are your problems, and Champion will not likely cover anything without a huge argument.

My advice (if you care) is to have it installed by an experienced and quality Champion installer. Sure worked for me.

Good luck.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
12 Posts
A friend and I did mine. Installed the roadsmith kit. Neither of us are mechanics but enjoy wrenching and doing our own maintenance. It turned out great. Did save a little money but best of all, had a good time doing it and, if I have a problem, I should be able to fix it. The trike is everything I hoped it would be. Go for it. Take your time and follow the instructions. No special tools were required. The project took us approximately 3 days from tear down to completion. We have had nothing but compliments on the trike. We completed it in January and the two trips since have been without any problems whatsoever. Just do it. Hambone

·
Registered
609 Posts
but who will sell you a trike kit for do it yourselfer???
I been thinking about doing that project for awhile!!
As being a retired (light & heavy) mechanic for 30 years,
it is a peice of cake!!!
edmund

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think that DFT and Champion still sell for self install. MT evidently stopped in 2000.

Good Luck

:biker:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I could of bought a motor trike kit in 2005 and installed it my self ,but if i did there was absolutily no warranty what so ever. The dealer charged me 875.00 to install. Right after i had mine installed motor trike quit selling to locals. I had mine installed buy a harley dealer ship and it was the first goldwing he had ever did. It is great and have never had any problems with it . I have 55000 on the trike now. To me it would be better to let them do it and have a warranty. But savind 6600 dollars would be a differnt story. This guy is getting paid very well.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
but who will sell you a trike kit for do it yourselfer???
I been thinking about doing that project for awhile!!
As being a retired (light & heavy) mechanic for 30 years,
it is a peice of cake!!!
edmund

DFT
Trike Shop
Champion

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Better check with your insurance co. first, some will not insure a self installed kit and won't a homemade trike peroid.

Frank

Good point Frank! Also kit warranty becomes an issue. Not to say some self installers can't do an outstanding job (like Wayne Thais and Stan Goodell) but I think quite a few people think it's a simple bolt on procedure. You really need to know the motorcycle you're connverting and there are many areas where mecahnical know-how is a must.

Example is CMORE's gas tank leak. Done by a trained installer his fuel pump gasket got pinched during reassembly. Leaking gas on a hot exhaust pipe is not good and it's way to easy to make those kinds of mistakes in areas that are part of the Trike build but not part of the kit itself.

·
Registered
598 Posts
We installed our DFT kit and did not have any issues. The manufacturer did not have any issues with warranty and the insurance company did not even ask.

It took 1 day to take it apart, 30 minutes to install the basic kit, another 4 or 5 hours for misc stuff (installing the brake, bleeding the brakes etc.) on the basic kit and then another 4 or 5 hours to get the body on and get it completely installed.

I probably saved $1,000 to $1,500, however the money was not even a consideration, I trust ME more than I trust anyone else to work on my bikes.

If you have any questions you can PM me.

Wayne
[email protected]

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
We installed our DFT kit and did not have any issues. The manufacturer did not have any issues with warranty and the insurance company did not even ask.

It took 1 day to take it apart, 30 minutes to install the basic kit, another 4 or 5 hours for misc stuff (installing the brake, bleeding the brakes etc.) on the basic kit and then another 4 or 5 hours to get the body on and get it completely installed.

I probably saved $1,000 to $1,500, however the money was not even a consideration, I trust ME more than I trust anyone else to work on my bikes.

Wayne
[email protected]
That's why you're on my team ;) Not to mention I did the math and:

(1) day disassembly (if it equals) (8.0) hours
(0.5) hours to install basic kit
(5.0) hours the rest of it .......... = (13.5)
at $6,000.00 (see above) you made $444.44 per hour..........:eek:

Did you pay yourself with a check or credit card :?::joke:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Yes the fair market value for installation, starts $1000-1200. Dealers take this as a break even to maintain a work flow. It pays the time labor needed. More involved trikes can cost more. More savings would be if you could paint it yourself, then the install. I will prefer install my self when the day comes. Trust my self more then strangers.

·
Registered
822 Posts
kit's

Well I say if you are not a pro installer let them do it that is all they do all day they may know a thing or 2 we don't.But if your like me hard headed and do it your self you save a few bucks and learn how to do everything .I would a better job when it came to the wire connections
in my kit than the Installer .but that is the only thing I didn't like :thumbup:Good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
948 Posts

Wayne
[email protected]
Ditto, Wayne. Not to mention, I really like the DFT suspension. I thought the kit was very easy to install, with all the help I needed from Charlie Sheldon at Southwest Touring. We are having a ball with ours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
do it yourself

New guy here long time reader . shumanrog I installed my own champion trike kit. 2yrs ago it was fun straight forward and well thought out . Champion was good about help over the phone and had no problem with me installing my self . very little motorcycle back ground here. but I have built several jeeps and street rods. things I would recommend you get are the shop manual and you will need the tool for removing the swing arm not so much to get off but to put back needs to be torqued when you reinstall . Also if you are gonna put the easy steer(highly recommend) on you will need the tool to torque the head bearings. Sorry I cant give you the tool no# I borrowed mine . feel free to e-mail me if I can be of any help...I took my time . had all winter here in MI. I also change the color of the bike to hd black cherry.. (not recomened for the faint of heart ) But it was worth the work.. cya ww

1 - 20 of 33 Posts