GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I got the cross bars, cut and a friend it going to wield them this week...But how long is the tongue now...can find where I wrote it down????

·
Registered
584 Posts
norm is 1 1/2 times the axle width. I added 12 in to the tongue on my HF.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Yes at least 1 1/5 the width of the axle at the center of the tire, or where the tire will be. A longer tongue doesn't hurt, as long as it isn't 30 feet long :lol:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
:agree: a longer tongue never hurts ask any wo... ops we talking trailers ...:oops:

Instead of having the bar that was supplied go all the way to the back of the trailier, move it forwards untill you get the desired length (from the front of the trailer to the end of the bar) I believe you would move the bar up one cross brace forwards if I remember right. I'm not sure but you can measure it out to make sure.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't think the tongue on my HF trailer went to the rear brace. It fastened to the middle and front. Moving it forward would be asking for trouble.

View attachment 981

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes at least 1 1/5 the width of the axle at the center of the tire, or where the tire will be. A longer tongue doesn't hurt, as long as it isn't 30 feet long :lol:
:agree:

·
Registered
792 Posts
The center cross member (rear mounting point for the tongue) can be moved forward to the next set of holes (about 10") and will give you the ideal ratio to fix any handling issue. I narrowed mine 4" and, with the center bar moved forward as above, haven't ever had an issue with handling in the nearly 4 years since it was built. I added additional 2" angle iron cross members at the center and mid-way towards the back (for a total of 5) and, even though it is bolted together, it is rock solid.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The center cross member (rear mounting point for the tongue) can be moved forward to the next set of holes (about 10") and will give you the ideal ratio to fix any handling issue. I narrowed mine 4" and, with the center bar moved forward as above,
That's what I did, it been awhile and could quite remember how I done it. My trailer not here so I could look to remind my self.

Uh OH am I starting to get that CRS problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Moved trailer tongue

Hello PaPa Smurf, I recently finished my H/F Trailer and just moved the provided tongue and center brace foward to the next holes and still left room for a cooler rack. I did weld everything solid after all bolts were tightened. Pulls great, can't even tell it's behind you. I changed the grease in the hubs as recomended as factory grease looked like dirty Vasoline. Also removed the small leaf spring and have pulled it about 1000 miles and once up to 90 mph :eek:4: and with no problem. In the photo paint on my fenders were still wet and I did not put them on till the next day.

Happy Camping
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Davy Crocket

+1 I moved my tongue and cross brace forward to the next set of bolt holes. I didn't weld anything. I saw no need in it.

Hey Trek, Thats the very first place we pulled it to. Davy Crocket campground. We rode down the Natchez Trace Parkway from Hopkinsville Ky. and camped on the creek, Fixed country style ribs in the dutch oven over a campfire. Got up next morning had zip lock omlets and headed back home, had a big time.

Wayne

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had read all the suggestions about narrowing the frame, lengthing the tongue etc. I didn't do either.

Last April, 2008, I built mine using a Northern Tool trailer, similiar to the HF. Put it together exactly as it came. Not cutting, splicing, etc. For the tongue, I took the center support beam from the trailer and mounted it closer to the front. There are holes already drilled to allow you to do this.
This extended the tongue forward 10-12 inches? I pulled this behind my BMW for 6 months until I bought my wing. Pulled great. No sway, no issues. I did a ride to the Texas Hill Country, pulled the trailer at 75+, and around curves and sweepers and I didn't even Know it was there.

Some suggestions, with the HF, remove one of the three leaf springs. You only need two, as you won't carrying all the weight it was designed for. And keep your tire pressure around 20-25 pounds. I used 8 inch tires.

Once I figure out how to load photos, I'll put a few of mine on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you all talking about moving the cross brace up to the holes marked in this photo? If not, will these holes provide enough support for the tongue? Seems kinda close to the front cross brace for supporting the tongue, but if it works....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Are you all talking about moving the cross brace up to the holes marked in this photo? If not, will these holes provide enough support for the tongue? Seems kinda close to the front cross brace for supporting the tongue, but if it works....

Yep those are the ones. You are going to be hauling a couple hundred pounds so there is plenty of support.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What is the overall length of that trailer.....tip of the tongue to the rear brace?
I am looking to make a trailer to haul my kayak on. The kayak is 9'5", so length is important.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts