GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The light for the upper buttons (1-6 presets) on my radio has gone out. I hope it's a simple fix and don't have to send the unit off. I looked at the schematic and don't see the part I would need. Anybody had this problem before?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
. they are all LED's soldered to the board I think. it is a real booger to get apart but can be done.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The upper left LED in my audio unit is out, but I'm off the original warranty and on the extended warranty. It seems like I remember that the extended warranty doesn't cover audio components. Can anyone confirm of deny this? Also, should this be a new unit that fixes the problem of the CB transmitting through the broadcast radio speakers?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The extended warranty specifically excludes battery, tires and audio.
If you go to the Honda website you can get all the warranty info. Also,
if you look at the extended warranty while shopping at Hal's, he has a
link on that page which goes to the extended warranty site at Honda.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, guys. I haven't checked the price on a new one but if it's anything like the price on the CD changer or CB radio then I'd just have to live with the top half of the lights on the display not working. It's a shame HONDA has to try to be such a scrotum squeezer. Sounds like my best bet is maybe a salvage unit.
Again.... I really appreiciate everyones help.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Dkwinger, yeah, that's what I thought I remembered.

Wayne, you don't EVEN want to know what one of those costs. However, I will take mine apart and replace the LED, or have someone else do it for me, before get one from a salvage yard. They're usually tougher than Honda when it comes to returns/warranty, especially on electronics. :?

I think the best plan is to live with it dark - It's not like we can't find the buttons, it just looks funny... :lol:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Fred-

Please clear up some confusion... are those blue things incandescent bulbs, or LEDs?

I didn't want to take mine apart tonight to find out for myself! :wink:

·
Registered
626 Posts
They are incandescent bulbs Honda PN#39111-MCA-671 (neo-wedge bulb)

·
Vendor
22,095 Posts
Actually it shouldn't be that hard to replace a bad bulb. The only time consuming part is removing the top shelter and extracting the radio.

I show how to take it apart if you click on the link I posted above.

You don't actually have to remove the entire circuit card like I did. When you seperate the radio halves, you can access them from the bottom of the card by turning the slotted parts. You can see the bottoms of them in this rather blurry photo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts