GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Anyone out there completed a Bun Burner Gold yet? A buddy and myself are departing Saturday morning for a nice :shock: 1550 mile run in hopefully 24 hours or less.

Any tips from those of you who've been there/done that would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

·
Registered
759 Posts
OKWing...I have completed two. Primary suggestion is use only the super slab...if you cruise at 75 mph for 20 hours...you have completed your ride with 4 hours to spare....to eat, refuel, rest, even sleep. Time management is crucial. Watch your time at rest stops, fuel stops, eating. I run a stop watch when I do it to track my non ride time...a garmin street pilot does this automatically. it gives ride time, stop times, total times of each. Plan your route ahead of time. If you get tired during the ride stop riding...there is always another day. Some days the ol body just isnt up for it so think about your safety, and other's safety. Carry water with you, and some snacks that you can drink and eat as you drive. I carry two liquids, plain water and one sweet drink. To stretch my legs...I stop every hour at an off ramp and do a few laps around my bike for movement. Each stop takes me three minutes, sometimes less, and that includes you know what..hehe. One other thot, the gps will also give accurate mileage..down to a tenth of a mile...this comes into consideration for accurate reporting of your mileage...and you dont have to ride an extra 50 or 75 miles for odometer error which eats time and lengthens your ride needlessly. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Robert made some very good points. The main one is to stop if you get to feeling tired. I didn't realize how tired I had become and almost fell over when I pulled up to a stop light at the end of my ride. Thinking back, I doubt I would have reacted in time, if at all, should something have gone wrong during the final few hours. I was just a high-speed zomby on wheels.

What route do you plan on taking. I rode from Norman to El Paso and back in 22.5 hours. I do suggest heading south toward the heat.

Good Luck and let us know how things went.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Robert

Robert - thanks for the suggestions. On long rides I never leave home without my SPIII. GPS's are wonderful tools. We've finished a couple of SS1K's over the last 3 months and decided to bump it up a notch. Typically we calculate each leg to be between 90 and 180 miles. Trying to keep the longer legs on the early part of the ride. More frequent stops toward the end of the ride really seem to help with fatigue. Stops would last approximately 10 to 20 minutes. They include fuel, hydration, a protein/carb bar and a trip to the head if needed. Comparing the SS1K and the BB Gold, the SS1K has no time management issues. After mapping our BB Gold route with mapping software, it wouldn't take much to pass the 24 hour mark.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motorcycleboy:

We are taking that exact route. Norman to El Paso. I-35 South to Ft Worth, I-20 to I-10 on to El Paso. My riding buddy lives in Norman off Highway 9 and 77. Can you tell me a few things about your trip?

What time of day did you leave?

How often did you stop?

What was your average speed?

Any issues (finding open gas stations) with late night/early morning fuel stops on I-20?

thanks - Pat

·
Registered
759 Posts
OKWing...I have done so many 1,000's I have lost count. One thing I learned on those rides is to start taking breaks BEFORE you are tired or cramped. Even though you may feel good at the time..take that break...I think you will find yourself stronger and more alert towards the end of the ride. When I did my first 1,500 I didnt take the early breaks...the second one I did..huge difference in how I felt towards the end of the ride..for the better. And hydration is also key. Much better to stop to pee..than not to be able to stop at all. Dehydration brings on all kinds of bad things..which the word impairment comes to mind. Glad to hear you have that gps..same model as mine...the logs will tell you exactly how you are doing...good luck..wish I could go with you...if el paso wasnt so far...I would...it's like 800 miles from me...hey..good excuse to ride eh?..LOL.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I did a SaddleSore 1000 in December and will be heading out Friday the 13th (geez! what a date!) to do my Bun Burner.. Maine to Key West in Feb. should be fun..Keep good records.. I got a starting slip from the gas station at exit 3 on I-95 in Kennebunk Maine for my SS but it did not have the time stamp!! I never checked it... Got the servce guy to sign/date/time it..will send it in and see what happens...When i got so tired that i couldn't start the bike..(forgot how) I decided to stop at a motel.. be safe and use your head...I did a SS 1000 and tried for a 1500 on the same trip but ran into traffic on I-4 in Florida..locals directed me to a "short cut" and I promptly got lost in the middle of nowhere and was afraid I couldn't find a station for a gas slip or bank for ATM slip. The low touring range of the goldwing got to be a pain...had to stop every 210 miles to fuel up..now I know why all the IButt guys run Beemer GS's with their huge gas tanks...I REALLY like the long distance runs..sort of addicting...be safe, take your time and have fun...good luck. rob in maine

·
Registered
824 Posts
OKWing said:
Hi All,

Anyone out there completed a Bun Burner Gold yet? A buddy and myself are departing Saturday morning for a nice :shock: 1550 mile run in hopefully 24 hours or less.

Any tips from those of you who've been there/done that would be greatly appreciated.

Pat
OKWing, I did my BBG this past October 16th. Basically used the same route as you are, except we started in Fort Worth 1/2 mile east of Loop 820 and I-35W and went to Lordsburg, NM and back in 22 hours and 23 minutes.

My recommendations are as follows:

1. Get a camelback and you should have no problems with hydration.
2. We planned our stops at the 150 to 180 mile marks. Be careful with this at night. I have since gone to a truck stop and bought the 2004 National Truck Stop Directory and have done my route planning for my 48 in 10 using this tool and the Garmin GPSIII software.
3. We were able to keep our fuel stops to 10 minutes including potty breaks. DO NOT eat a large meal during the trip, it will only serve to make you sleepy. We eat fruit, power type bars, candy and the like while riding. If you must eat, eat before you leave in the morning, but not a heavy type meal.
4. We ran with the fastest vehicles during the day time and at night actually slowed down to the speed limits +/- 5. There are critters on I-20 and 10 at night. BE CAREFUL :!:
5. At about the 20 hour point, I really started to have problems concentrating and had to stop and run around and get some caffine in me. Again, BE CAREFUL. If you and your buddy have CB's, USE THEM as a tool to keep yourself alert.
6. Being excited, I did not get a good nights rest the night before and attribute #4 above to that. Get some Melatonen (not sure about spelling) or some other sleep aide. The proper rest the night before is really important.
7. I just checked the 10 day forcast for Norman, Fort Worth, Abilene, Odessa, and El Paso - It is going to be very cool at night (lower to mid 30's) along your route. Take the proper clothing.

Good luck to you and your buddy. Please post your trip report after you get some sleep! Believe me, you WILL go into a deep undisturbed sleep for 7 to 10 hours after you get off the bike!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
yes on hydration...I carry a one gallon thermos jug on my right passenger foot rest. It is held on by one bungee cord and one velcro strip on the bottom of the jug. It goes nowhere..speed tested..lol. I then used like 5/16 or maybe 3/8 surgical tubing..i forget which...and ran the tubing up to my handle bars....so to drink ....just suck....ooops....like a giant straw. REI sells what they call bite valves...bite on the valve, that opens the tubing for sucking. keeps things out but I dont run one..just use the tubing. I run a sweet drink in a butler cup...when I fuel...I refill the sweet drink. On summer runs...I can deplete that gallon jug of water plenty fast...one tip on the butlet mug....put a piece of surgical tubing on the straw...and suck away...dont have to remove the jug for drinking.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The BBG is one tough ride. I did mine in May of 2002, took 22hrs and 10 minutes. The key for me is managing the fuel stops.I made 7 stops for a total stop time of 49 minutes, No rest stops and no meal stops. I dont ride fast, just keep going at a steady pace, riding fast causes stress and fatigue for me. I scheduled my route to avoid major cities at peak times.
Last spring we did the group record ride with the Motorcycle Tourers Forum, 26 bikes did the 100CCC.Jacksonville, to San Diego and back to Jacksonville in under 100 hrs. The LD stuff can be fun, but you need to learn and recognize your limits and know when to say enough is enough.

boB

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
OKWing said:
Motorcycleboy:

We are taking that exact route. Norman to El Paso. I-35 South to Ft Worth, I-20 to I-10 on to El Paso. My riding buddy lives in Norman off Highway 9 and 77. Can you tell me a few things about your trip?

What time of day did you leave?

How often did you stop?

What was your average speed?

Any issues (finding open gas stations) with late night/early morning fuel stops on I-20?

thanks - Pat
I left a little after 7am on a Friday morning. I timed things just right to miss the noon traffic through Fort Worth. This whole trip was unplanned and I did not have a map with me or I would have taken I-820 to I-30 around Fort Worth instead of I-35W to I-30 to I-20 which took me right through the middle.
I only stopped when my fuel gauge showed less than 1/4 which was every 150 to 200 miles. I was having a problem with fluctuating fuel mileage after I stopped in Fort Worth. Study a map well before you leave. The stations are few and far between once you are west of Abilene. Here are the stops I made: Fort Worth, Trent, Monahans, Van Horn, Clint, Van Horn, Odessa, Tye, Fort Worth. Pay close attention on the way down where the major truck stops are because they will be the only ones open on the way back. Also, don't count on the time stamps being correct.
My average speed turned out to be just under 70 GPS MPH. Try to keep it down after dark, especially from 11pm to around 2am. I don't know if the Texas Highway patrol was trying to set a record for DUI arrests or if it was normal behaviour but I probably saw a patrol car every 10 miles or so. Also, plan on stopping for a few minutes at an INS Inspection Station on I-10 somewhere around Acala. There was no way around it, they had both East bound lanes exiting off the interstate into the inspection area. It looked like they could have done the same thing for West bound traffic if they had wanted.
The trip itself was uneventful except for that one deer grazing in the center median on I-20. Right before I passed it decided to leap across the road in front of me. Startled me a bit but it wasn't really close.

Have Fun!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Also, plan on stopping for a few minutes at an INS Inspection Station on I-10 somewhere around Acala. There was no way around it, they had both East bound lanes exiting off the interstate into the inspection area. It looked like they could have done the same thing for West bound traffic if they had wanted.
When I went through there on the 25th, east bound, they were asking their standard,
Are you U.S. citizens?
Upon your afirmitive response, you are waved on through..they did however have a pickup pulled to the side with their dogs going through it.

Coming home on the 4th they had the west bound side open, but they were waving everyone through without stopping anyone, but you never know when that could change. It's best to figure on a few minutes getting through the line.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for your input. Great tips and suggestions. Due to the weather around the Ft. Worth area on Saturday (snow, rain, freezing temperatures) we are postponing the ride for a couple of weeks. Cold doesn't bother me but ice and snow does.

Pat

·
Registered
939 Posts
It has all been said. I did one in June of 2002 with one other bike and with my wife on the back. Had a great ride. Get a good nights rest the night before. Plan to ride as much superslab as possible. We stopped for gas about every 180-200 miles. PLAN ALL YOUR FUEL STOPS AHEAD OF TIME. Kept our stops to 10 minuites or less. Don't eat much at any one time. Rather just munch as time allows either while stopped or while riding. Nothing makes me sleepy like a full stomach. I bought water to drink while riding and while stopped. Staying hydrated is very important. I also carried peppermints in my shirt pocket. You can carry them unwrapped and they don't get sticky. They are nice to suck on while riding. Know your limitations. If for some reason it is not working forget it for now. You can always try again another time. Don't forget to post the story when you get done. We would all like to hear how it went.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts