GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if anyone can vouch for the Bunkhouse camper. Looking hard at getting one and want to make sure it’s a quality product.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
IDK if they are made anymore. I do know they have/had a reputation for quality. A friend in FL has one. He has an RV, so he doesn't use the BH often, but he talks about it a lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the bunkhouse is a very good camper. we have one we have been using for years and love it.
very easy to set p and break down, mine has brakes and I will say i'm not sure I would want to pull it without them as if not careful you can make them pretty heavy with all that room under the bunk

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Although, I have too admit, that I have never own'd one, BUT I have gone camping w/ a friend that does own one, and I honestly have to say that I was impressed, to the point, that IF my wife liked to camp, and or ride, I would purchase one.....BUT the one/two times (maybe) a year that I'd get a chance to use it, I'd not find it worth my money, to buy one for once (again, maybe ) a year ......So for me it would sit 51 w/ends a year taking up space in my already too small garage................

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I have a friend who swears by them and I think they were a quality product but I think there are better options out there these days. I have a MM and if you camp by yourself I think it is the best option. If you camp with your wife or SO there are better options than that.

Reactions: raw2210

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had an earlier 1988 model that I purchased off of EBay for $600 and used for about 10 years before selling to purchase a newer 1995 model. Easiest setup and teardown, great storage and storage access with the unit setup or torn down. We keep all our gear stored in the camper and ready to go at almost a moments notice. Too bad that they went out of business a few years ago, but think that Bushtec is looking to revive the camper trailer, but not sure if they have actually decided to revive the units.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it is a shame they stopped making them. I like the room for storage in them. We will probably have an ac unit to tote along with everything else. I like that they have a mattress also. Haven’t had much luck with air ups.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IDK if they are made anymore. I do know they have/had a reputation for quality. A friend in FL has one. He has an RV, so he doesn't use the BH often, but he talks about it a lot.
Yes, it is a shame they stopped making them. I like the room for storage in them. We will probably have an ac unit to tote along with everything else. I like that they have a mattress also. Haven’t had much luck with air ups.
I hope I can find a good used one. So far not much luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the bunkhouse is a very good camper. we have one we have been using for years and love it.
very easy to set p and break down, mine has brakes and I will say i'm not sure I would want to pull it without them as if not careful you can make them pretty heavy with all that room under the bunk
Thank you. I was wondering about brakes.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have a friend who swears by them and I think they were a quality product but I think there are better options out there these days. I have a MM and if you camp by yourself I think it is the best option. If you camp with your wife or SO there are better options than that.
I don't know what an "MM" is, please explain. My wife doesn't camp.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
MM is Mini Mate camper.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I don't know what an "MM" is, please explain. My wife doesn't camp.
This is mine opened up. If you interested I know someone who going to be selling his.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
This is mine opened up. If you interested I know someone who going to be selling his.
I could be interested, depending on condition and price. put me in touch with him. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Although, I have too admit, that I have never own'd one, BUT I have gone camping w/ a friend that does own one, and I honestly have to say that I was impressed, to the point, that IF my wife liked to camp, and or ride, I would purchase one.....BUT the one/two times (maybe) a year that I'd get a chance to use it, I'd not find it worth my money, to buy one for once (again, maybe ) a year ......So for me it would sit 51 w/ends a year taking up space in my already too small garage................

Ronnie
I could have written that exact same thing. If there is no bathroom/shower, my wife wants nothing to do with it. We tried camping at a KOA Cabin in Door County, Wisconsin. About 2:30 AM, I got the elbow in the ribs and she said she was going to the campground bathroom and I was going with her.

My friends that have a Bunkhouse camper love them. They seem to have been very popular at the motorcycle events I've attended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I could have written that exact same thing. If there is no bathroom/shower, my wife wants nothing to do with it. We tried camping at a KOA Cabin in Door County, Wisconsin. About 2:30 AM, I got the elbow in the ribs and she said she was going to the campground bathroom and I was going with her.

My friends that have a Bunkhouse camper love them. They seem to have been very popular at the motorcycle events I've attended.
I have got that same elbow...lol

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Hey, I have a funny feeling that our wife's are triplets, and were all married into the same family! Doesn't that make us all related and now were Inlaws...............LOL

Ronnie

Reactions: The Captain

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I have a 2004. Probably have over 20,000 miles on it. Set up is fairly easy. Lot's of storage and well built. I did do some mods, like adding a direct power hookup similar to a travel trailer, to run the ceramic heater, fan and tv. I also bought the "den" for added storage. It's starting to show it's age, fading, but I have had no problems at all.
When Bushtec bought them out, that was the demise of this trailer. I think they got greedy and priced it out of the market.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You might also want to consider a Roll a Home in your search too. When I looked at the Bunkhouse, I did not like that the cover when it was closed up was canvas. I liked a hard top for long life and security. Also, when set up. you dressing room floor is on the ground. If it rains, the floor is on the wet ground. You would need to pack a tarp to put under it to keep it dryer and prevent wear on the floor.

The Roll a Home has a hard side top that turns into the floor of the dressing/sitting room. It has rails on it so it is not sitting on the ground. I have the King Bed model and love it. The bed is a mattress too if it was ordered that way. It also has under bed storage that will fit an AC unit without any problems. This storage can be accessed when the camper is opened up or closed. I can put a lot of stuff in there!

Just something else to consider.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts