GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a Burgman 650. Anyone own one? If so how are they driving, handling etc Good & Bad points. Opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not too much help here. But I’ll bore you anyway. Bought a new Burgman 650 for my wife, versus a small m/c as her first bike. As hard as she tried, as many classes as she took, and however many hours we spent in empty parking lots, she just couldn’t get it. One day she took a spill in front of a LEO. No injuries at all. But the scooter needed substantial Tupperware. I repaired it, sold it, bought her a GW, installed a trike conversion and never looked back. Had less than 100 miles on it. Geez, that was probably 10 years and hundreds of thousands of miles ago. Everything happens for the better as they say.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an 86 year old friend here in Indiana that has ridden his 650 Burgman for several years. He loves it, and can keep up with my wing easily. He decided to try a GW trike and liked it , so his Burgman is for sale. I don't remember the year, but it has about 60,000 trouble free miles on it and has some extras on it. If you might be interested PM me and I will get additional info for you. I will see him tomorrow afternoon. Maybe the two of you can talk on phone. Oh, it is located north side of Indy.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What problems did your wife have? Was it hard to steer? Blind steering?

Not too much help here. But I’ll bore you anyway. Bought a new Burgman 650 for my wife, versus a small m/c as her first bike. As hard as she tried, as many classes as she took, and however many hours we spent in empty parking lots, she just couldn’t get it. One day she took a spill in front of a LEO. No injuries at all. But the scooter needed substantial Tupperware. I repaired it, sold it, bought her a GW, installed a trike conversion and never looked back. Had less than 100 miles on it. Geez, that was probably 10 years and hundreds of thousands of miles ago. Everything happens for the better as they say.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I owned one in 2009 and loved it. I put a car tire on the rear and it did not change the handling. I also ordered a Cruise Control kit that installs just like on a car or truck and that was a great add on. The only thing I was weary of is it had what they called a stopper bolt that would shear off. If that happened much $$$ was spent to fix lots of broken parts. The stopper bolt is what brought things back to beginning when you let off he gas. I'm not sure if Suzuki ever came up with a stronger or better bolt.

·
Registered
851 Posts
What problems did your wife have? Was it hard to steer? Blind steering?
No, she actually loved the Burgman. Problem was hers, not the scooter. IMO she froze in the corners. Could not get used to leaning. Most of us seek out twisty's; for her not so much. It became fairly evident a trike conversion was the way to go. For both of us. The Burgman itself was a very impressive machine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had one a few years ago. The suspension was pretty poor, that was about the only bad. Decent performance. I couldn't resist passing 2 Harleys in the mountains north of Hot Springs. Got it up to about 95 that day. The storage was good. I bought a taller windshield. A little cramped if your over 6' for kneeroom. The suspension was poor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts