GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people's.

Bought my Wing last April. Dark Red ' 06 NAV / COMPFORT / PREM. AUDIO. Traded in my ' 04 VTX with no regrets.
Been reading this board for some time now ( 7 months or so). Just decided to sign on now cuz I gotta ask something regarding the air adjustment for the Bushtec suspension.

Let me post a real world hypothetical situation (or maybe not). Hope you like story problems.

Your mother-in-law is arriving at the airport for a week-long visit to your shack. Your SO says fetch her. You jump on your bike with trailer in tow and head for the airport. You pack her stuff into your empty Bushtec trailer... which consists of 2 suitcases, one weighing in at 40 lbs. and the other at 30 lbs., along with her make-up case which weighs in at 60 lbs. You hand her a full face helmet w/ tinted face shield just in case your friends happen to see you. You arrive at home where your wife is anxiously awaiting in the driveway. You quickly assist to unload the 230 lbs. from your bike and then the 130 lbs. from the trailer. :lol: You give your wife a sweet hand-shake and tell her you have to run and check out the latest and greatest 1800 Goldwing. So you head for your nearest Honda manufacturing facility in Marysville, Ohio roughly 2,700 miles away, peek through a window to see the latest bike roll off the assembly line, smile with delight, then head'er home. Nearing the vicinity of your house, you swing in the local market and purchase 12 cases of beer (just in case your M.I.L decided to stay another week), which is a total weight of 220 lbs. (Thank goodness you ordered the deluxe luggage rack).You arrive at home just in time to bring the M.I.L. back to the airport. You pack her stuff... which now weighs 150 lbs. (they went shopping while you were away). You drop her off at the airport and head home.

FINALLY... the question is:
How many times did you adjust the suspension and approx. how much adjustment was needed? Hand pump vs. trailer air system from Electrical Connection. Would this be a lot of pumping by hand?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can see you will fit in here with no problem!!!!!

When I first purchased my Bushtec in 02 I was so concerned about the air pressure and making sure everything was perfect. In the beginning the key is not to be in a hurry and not to have ten of your buddies trying to help that own other brands of trailers.

Here is how I was insturcted to prepare the trailer ....... (trailer is disconnected from bike) load the heavier items over the axle with the remaining items toward the front.

In the beginning use a bathroom scale to set the tongue on or use a fish scale to lift the tongue so you have the desired tongue weight. You will soon know by feel, lifting the tongue after it is loaded and will probably not use the scale. Once loaded roll the trailer about 5' and look at the wheels. In at the top, add air. Out at the top, let out some air. Once the wheels are right, hook the trailer to the bike and you are ready to go.

When you have used your trailer 8-10 times you will soon learn how things need to be placed and what the air pressure needs to be. At that point it takes no time at all to pack the trailer, adjust the air and you are ready to go.

I used the hand pump for about 6-8 months before installing the air pump from Electrical Connection. To me the air pump makes a big difference because I load everything and adjust the air rolling down my driveway or in the parking lot before I hit the road.

Now to answer your question ........... When you load all her stuff at the airport, you will have to add air to your previously empty trailer. You did not say how much stuff you required to carry to Marysville. Either way .... 12 cases of beer will probably need a little air and a bathroom stop or two.

It sounds like there is a lot involved with adjusting the air. There really is not! You will quickly learn where things usually set, you put a little air in or let some out and your are on the road. The remote control air pump helps. :wink:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I made it real easy, I installed Lewis's air compressor and I just have to push a button or two as I move along to put the trailer at the correct "trim". You learn quickly how to load for the correct tongue weight.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Here's a real life story about adjusting your air "on the Fly".

In November I departed on my annual Death Valley Run with my friend Roger. Before I left I knew that I had a slow air leak, but I didn't fix it before I left.

BTW, I use the hand pump. From experience I know that the suspension takes about 55# with both Roger's and my gear aboard.

After about the first 100 miles I observed that the leak had become worse and that my wheels were "toe out". I was down about 20# from departure pressure.

After another 100 miles and another air adjustment I knew that this issue was going to get old fast.

On the side of the road I solved the problem. At least temporarily.

I carry a cheap 12 volt air compressor and duct tape with me @ all times.

I duct taped the compressor to the drawbar next to the schraeder valve assembly. I then ran the power line to a switched power outlet that I used to use for my heated gloves before I installed HOT GRIPS.

Then, while riding...with Roger behind me...as needed, he would visually inspect the trailer wheel canter and I would activate the compressor. He would tell me via CB when things looked right. This system not only saved the trip, but gave us a couple of good laughs.

During one rest stop another biker came over and asked about the set-up. He asked if a dealer had installed it.

After returning home I replaced the mal-functioning shock. Shoulda done that before the trip.

During the trip. I must have adjusted the suspension over 15 times. If the set-up wasn't so darn ugly I may have left it on the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts