GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a Bushtec hitch for use with a Pakit Rak, with an eye to purchasing a trailer in the future (when I can afford one).
To give me more options in selecting my future trailer should I get the 1 7/8 ball vs the pin?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the pin on my bushtec hitch and it works just as intended. If, at a later date, you decide to change trailers that require a ball hitch/coupling it's just a matter of loosening the pin retaining nut, removing the 'pin' and replacing with a standard 1 7/8" ball. Hopes this helps a little in your planning.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mooqu,

I also have the Pakit Rak, and I just installed the Bushtec vertical ball hitch.

I ordered an adapter from Dixon Machine (makers of Pakit Rak) that slips into the vertical hitch so I can use the Pakit Rak on short and/or solo trips. I went with the ball because I haven't decided which trailer to get yet, and most of them use the ball hitch. Whichever trailer you get down the road, there is an adapter for it.

Mike :s13:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Well I thought the pin was securing mounted to the reciever. I need to go and check. I just ordered another reciever and a ball to go with it. This way, once it is tight and secure, no need to change them out. I just have to drop a receiver and put the other one on.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've got a bushtec hitch with a ball, towed my small trailer for 5800 miles in '05 without a problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
coolhand said:
Mooqu,

Do you already have your Pakit Rak?

No, I don't have one yet. I have read Fred Harmon's review on it. Do you have any experience with it?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mooqu said:
coolhand said:
Mooqu,

Do you already have your Pakit Rak?

No, I don't have one yet. I have read Fred Harmon's review on it. Do you have any experience with it?
The Pakit Rak is awesome! It works great, holds a lot of items securely, you don't even know it's there..but I assure you, it is! The only downfall, is you get a sore neck the first couple hundred miles or so, because you keep "craning" your neck to see if it's still back there, but this goes away! LOL!

Mike :s13:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the pin type and had an accident that forced me to lay the bike down with the trailor in tow. The trailor remained upright through the whole incident. I replaced the heim Joint just to be sure but it towed perfectly imediately after the accident with the original joint

1 - 9 of 9 Posts