GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new bushtec V.2 receiver trailer hitch and the supplied ball. I only have a finger width between the ball and the fender. This seems a little close and may have trouble when I pick up my trailer. Has anyone had this problem or is this a normal situation. I do have the chrome trim piece on the fender, so this does add about 3/8 inch to the the fender. Still seems very close for comfort.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Bob,

I have the same exact setup on my Wing and believe me I had the same concerns as you when I first installed the hitch. After 20 thousand plus miles of towing my trailers I'm no longer concerned!

·
Registered
375 Posts
It is very close, but you never bump it with your leg, do you? That was my worry, hitting it with a leg.

Never happens, thank you very much.

I do remove the hitch head most of the time, which totally eliminates the possibility of hitting it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the reassurance...Good trailering!!!! Looking foward to picking up my ELITE trailer. I want to thank Gary from GARYS HOBBY SHOP in Georgia (California Side Car Dealer) what a great guy to deal with. Went way out of his way to help a customer (me). I can only say if you need a trailer from his neck of the woods, You can't go wrong by dealing with him.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To all those questioning the difference of the rear bag sub frame mount vs the 6 point bush tec trailer hitch. Bushtec calls it 4 points ( 2 points subframe, 2 points lower frame, 2 points upper frame)There is no flex at all when I stood on the ball (187 lbs.) This could save the rear frame of the bike if the trailer ever decided to go its own way. Just my 2 cents to all that are interested.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Bob,

We seem to harp on the same issue time and time again, but some folks here keep saying that it's okay to mount the hitch to the weak subframe, stating that no one has ever heard of it failing. Go figure! Me, I went with the Bishtec and peace of mind.

Mike

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Not everyone that owns an 1800 is a member here tho. Food for thought.

The further out you make the ball, the more you alter the handling of the bike. You move pivot points, weight transfer, etc, etc. The closer the better.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Lewis beat me to it. The ideal place for the ball would be directly below the bike's rear axle, near the ground. The farther you get from that ideal point, the more you adversely affect the bike's handling.

I saw two bikes yesterday on I-30 as we were coming back form the Arkansas Gathering. Each was pulling a large camper, the kind with a rectangular canvas covered area on top about 10 inches thick.

The lead bike was an 1800 and the following bike was a Harley, both two up. The were cruising at about 65 until they saw us coming and they sped up, at least the Wing did. Seems like it is human nature not to want to be passed, from hot blooded teens to silver haired grannys.

Unfortunately, the Harley was just about flat out and it was in a full steady state wobble. We had been running about 75 but pushed it up to 85 so as to not entice them to try to keep up. The Harley had no business going above 60, with the tail end pushed way down and the tire mashed to the point it was 8 inches on the road contact patch.

Those trailers look miserable to pull, and the Wing had the power but I am sure it was burning a lot of fuel.

C

·
0 Posts
Just so folks can see a couple of differences between a Bushtec hitch and a Rivco hitch (although the shot angles are different) I reposted the eethomas Bushtec hitch photo and added my Rivco hitch photo below it.

Photo of Bushtec hitch

Photo of Rivco hitch

Some feel the Bushtec has a distinct advantage because you don't have to create a hole where you see the aftermarket reflector above the Bushtec hitch. You do have to make a hole for a Rivco and they make a part you secure to the Honda reflector so you can replace it if you prefer not riding around with the hitch when it's not being used . I had that hole already because I had been using a Pakit Rak (and still do when I don't need all the room my Aluma trailer offers).

One may be able to see in the photos an advantage the Rivco may have. In the event one of us humans has a little accident or miscalculation while connecting, the trailer coupler would ding the Rivco hitch tongue and not that pretty yellow rear fender. Then again, some of us never goof up and that would not be an area of concern whatsoever. :D

Regarding exactly how much "better" one is over the other when it comes to how much closer to the axle one is compared to the other (in inches or tenths of inches) some one would have to do some pretty sophisticated trigonometric, weight/load/force calculations to render specific "proof" as to which is "better" and by what standards and by how much. I don't think the "mine is better than yours" mathematical formula and resulting proofs would quite cut it.

Suffice it to say they are both really good at what they were brought into this world for: to pull a wheeled box down the highway safley with a motorcycle!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hitch

I read in another subject that the chrome turndown pipes interfere with trailering. Yet I see many pictures on this subject with turndown pipes. Does any of you see problems with turndown pipes interfering with trailers?

Thanks,

Preacher

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not at all, plus they keep the trailer cleaner.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
turn downs

Bloodstone05 said:
Not at all, plus they keep the trailer cleaner.
Cool.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Be careful what you use to "lock" the latch down on your trailer. I used a longer bicycle type pad lock on mine. During a trip to Fla the lock worked its way around so that the lock portion was wedged up against the fender.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts