GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of the install and step 10 calls for the U-bolts to be installed around the sub-frame, then through the "ears" 0f the hoops. Then it calls for the backing plates to be installed on the U-bolts. What are these backing plates? I don't seem to have them in the parts bag.

Also, I have the the lower saddle bag protector bolt removed, and as expected, the bag shifted a little forward. Any tricks to getting the holes lined up so it is easy to get the new bolt in wihout stripping the threads in the aluminum frame?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Sadly, although Bushtec has plenty of Sales Videos on YouTube, nothing on installing the hitch on a Wing.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The backing plates for the "U" bolts are just a piece of flat metal strap drilled to match the "U" bolt. I kind of acts like a flat washer. I got my Bushtec hitch used and the backing plates were missing so I went to the hardware store to pick up a couple.

The saddle bag bolts were a little tricky. The left side did not move, but the right side did. When I used a screwdriver as a lever to pry it back, the bag hole moved up as well as back. I ended up first pushing the bag down a little and while holding it down I pried with the screwdriver back. It took a couple of tries to get the right position, but finally it worked.

Good luck with it.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks @sammisgrammy for the link to that excellent photo tutorial on the GL1800 Hitch Install.

We're planning on updating out Hitch Installation PDFs and creating photos/videos of our own, but I think it will have to wait until the end of this season.

I'm forwarding this on to the Factory guys as well, in case they can add anything to the other comments.

Thanks all! - Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts