GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I installed the bushtec hitch this morning, not a bad job. do not have to remove any plastic just the rear license plate panel. The hitch comes with good instructions but could be better if components were identified. Total install took about 3.5 hours but I goofed on the left strut and had to take it back off and reinstall. When installing this hitch make sure that the left strut goes over the top of all the wires going to the radio. Also the instructions omitted the right strut install. It is done right after the left one. If I did a couple more of these probably could install this in under an hour. I took a picture of all the components before I started and put location labels on them.(sorry my left and right is mixed up) You do need to be somewhat handy and comfortable with hand tools to do this. Also as someone stated in an earlier post there are 2 metric bolts and 2 metric self locking nuts in the hardware kit. The rest of the hardware is standard thread so be sure to sort and identify your nuts:grin2:. The bolts that need to be removed from under the seat just in front of the trunk can be a little tricky. When you remove the OEM bolts the brackets can shift slightly and can cause a slight misalignment. These bolts go through the frame and through the upper saddle bag bracket with a nut on the back side so I was able to "thread " them in to get the holes to line up again. On the bolts that are not through bolts but instead screw into the frame, be sure to hand start these bolts and run them in several turns too avoid stripped threads in your frame. The only other thing is that when you remove a bolt that has a 12mm head, the one you put back in takes a 13mm wrench. Anyway seems to be a solid hitch so I guess I will do the wiring now.

Attachments

·
Vendor
16,367 Posts
BushTec has always made great stuff. I have had their hitches on gen 4 and gen 5. Hopefully their hitch version for gen 6 carries the same design and manufacturing qualities that their others have.

Their hitches have always been my first choice ... but I also pull their trailers too and know the importance of height level and all that good stuff when it comes to a safer pull.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Did you happen to weight the kit before it was installed? Just wondering if the upcoming Rivco aluminum hitch would end up saving some weight. Remember, the weight of the hitch plus your tongue weight needs to be subtracted from the 421 lb limit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finishing that now. Had to go get breakfast. my trailer has the 4 wire so I got the 5 to 4 wire module. Much easier to install than on my 2014. Connectors are under the seat and wiring runs nicely along the left side frame. I was doing some other wiring along with the trailer. I will drag the trailer out later today and do the final test.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Great job Ziptie! Could you let us know how the wiring install isolator turns out pro & cons? Are you using the 6 pin bushtec connector?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice job. Noticed you have the interlocking floor mats under cycle. Are you happy with them? Was thinking of getting a set for garage and weight room if they are heavy enough to do the job. Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great job Ziptie! Could you let us know how the wiring install isolator turns out pro & cons? Are you using the 6 pin bushtec connector?
Well sort of. My trailer is a 4 pin wire. so I bought the 6 pin connector from bushtec and wired it to the trailer using the 5-4 wire module and only 4 wires coming out of the 6 pin connector. Just got back from a 20 mile test ride in 40 MPH wind gusts (Texas is at it again) and all seems to work really good. will be keeping an eye on how the isolator performs. I really liked the isolator wire up you don't have to take the trunk apart anymore. There are 2plugs under the seat 1 on the left and 1 on the right. You just unplug them and put the adapter in each side plug the adapter into the isolator hook the isolator up to the battery and in my case the isolator hooks to the 5-4 wire module and then run the trailer harness from module to trailer. don't have to take anything off but the seat and the license plate holder. pretty easy. I am rather anal so things take me awhile to get right.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice job. Noticed you have the interlocking floor mats under cycle. Are you happy with them? Was thinking of getting a set for garage and weight room if they are heavy enough to do the job. Thanks.
I got the Elite Floors perfection vinyl tiles and like them but if I had it to do over I would go with the Armor garage commercial tile that is 1/4 inch thick, They are in coin pattern and would hold up better I think. While I like the look of the diamond plate tile the ridges are kind of fragile.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Aighty!

Well sort of. My trailer is a 4 pin wire. so I bought the 6 pin connector from bushtec and wired it to the trailer using the 5-4 wire module and only 4 wires coming out of the 6 pin connector. Just got back from a 20 mile test ride in 40 MPH wind gusts (Texas is at it again) and all seems to work really good. will be keeping an eye on how the isolator performs. I really liked the isolator wire up you don't have to take the trunk apart anymore. There are 2plugs under the seat 1 on the left and 1 on the right. You just unplug them and put the adapter in each side plug the adapter into the isolator hook the isolator up to the battery and in my case the isolator hooks to the 5-4 wire module and then run the trailer harness from module to trailer. don't have to take anything off but the seat and the license plate holder. pretty easy. I am rather anal so things take me awhile to get right.
Man just what I was wanting to hear. I'm probly going to pull the trigger on the Bushtec. Looks like I may be waiting awhile due to demand, waiting to hear back from Bushtec on delivery times. Thanks for the 411-ride safe!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for the infos...........waiting delivery on mine for my Bushtec Trailer that has to get a new pain job since my 2018 is now White.

are the front arms easy to slide by and get them to their positions ???

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the infos...........waiting delivery on mine for my Bushtec Trailer that has to get a new pain job since my 2018 is now White.

are the front arms easy to slide by and get them to their positions ???
Yep, all pretty easy just need to take your time. everything just slides in place

·
Registered
168 Posts
So..... have you tried towing with the Wing??? How was it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So..... have you tried towing with the Wing??? How was it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not really went out for about 20 miles today is all trailer was empty so don't really have an answer yet. I don't have anything to compare to as I have never pulled before.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I see that the receiver is still vertical, but is it perfectly vertical just like it was before. I see that the Rivco Hitch will have an angle to it so I don't think it will work well with a custom rack that I have.

Also, how about rear tire changing?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bushtec trailer hitch, E C wiring harness. Great set up, easy to install. Already had the Unigo, just got it back from the painter

Greg
Looks great! How well does the 2018 pull that cool trailer??? (I am a trailer newbie...)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts