GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am a newbie at this trailer hitch stuff so I have been trying to read up a lot here and I think I have narrowed it down to the Bushtec V2 or a Rivco.

What does Bushtec mean (see below) when they talk about the Bushtec Hitch Pin & Stainless steel lock ?

V.2 Standard Package - Vertical Receiver Hitch package with main supports, center section, struts, graded hardware, a Chrome Hitch head with EITHER a Bushtec Hitch Pin and Stainless Steel Lock OR 1 7/8 inch Stainless Steel ball, Plug-N-Play Electronic Relay Isolator Package, Bushtec Contoured Mudflap and mounting hardware & Receiver Lock.

Next, both packages come with the relay-isolator so what else do I need to get this thing functional?

What kind of tongue drop, 0, 3", or 6" is necessary? I guess this is based on how tall your trailer sets, correct?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Yes...what AlabamaWing said

Both hitches are good products...both mount on the frame of the motorcycle rather than the less sturdy saddlebag framework

Some like the Rivco better because it is a few pounds lighter(aluminium).....however I believe any installation of the Rivco requires a hole to be cut in the rear fender which some folks prefer not to do
Some prefer the Bushtec in particular for the "heim" joint coupling (the hitch pin and lock that you asked about)...this coupler is unique to the Bushtec trailers....the Bushtec hitch is available with the standard ball joint as well

Again...both are good products and I believe it is a matter of personal preference

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bushtec and wiring

If you purchase the Bushtec hitch, you will not be disapointed. I just finished putting one on my bike and I really like it. For the wiring: the hitch comes with the isolator and sub-harness but if you have a 4 wire trailer you need to order the converter they sell (30.00). If you upgrade your lights to a five wire setup, remove the converter and plug the remaining end together. You will also have to purchase the vehicle connector to match your trailer connector and wire it in.

Sounds like a lot of work, but worth it. :thumbup:

Doc

·
Registered
364 Posts
Have the Bushtec hitch/trailer combo utilizing the Heim joint style system and am very please with both it's design and function. I also like the idea that although I can't pull a different trailer with this set up, there is also no point in a thief stealing a trailer which can't be attached to a ball. The install was easy and every thing fits the way it should.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and ordered a Rivco and will get it installed this Saturday so hopefully I made a good choice. Does anybody know if the wiring harness with the Rivco, think they call it micro-tel harness or something, is the same as an isolator harness?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Rivco is a good hitch and Coolhand has great info on the install. The only reason I went with the Bushtec hitch was as stated above, cutting out the rear fender for the reciever (AND) you have to DRILL out the frame or your Goldwing to attach the lower past of hitch frame. I just couldn't get myself to cut or drill on my new Wing.
Good luck both are the best hitches out. Enjoy your new Hannigan.

Lee

B

·
0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and ordered a Rivco and will get it installed this Saturday so hopefully I made a good choice. Does anybody know if the wiring harness with the Rivco, think they call it micro-tel harness or something, is the same as an isolator harness?
It is the same, no matter what they call it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts