GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I've decided to buy a Pakit for a month long trip I have coming up.

Expenses are mounting for the tip, in excess of my plans (what's new? LOL)

Anyway, I'm thinking of mounting the Pakit using their "bracket" instead of a hitch like the Bushtec.. but here's my concern:

If I drill holes to mount the Pakit receiver bracket now and decide later to remove it to intstall a hitch will there be problems because of the holes I'd already drilled for the pakit receiver? My guess is that a frame full of holes is not the smartest idea.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The receiver bracket does not require that you "drill" any holes to install it. You will remove the 1/2" round by 8" support that is installed between the left and right saddle bag supports. The only hole you will be drilling (I suggest useing a dremel tool) will be a 1" x 1" square hole where receiver is accessed behind the stock reflector. My pakit-rak came with an insert that the reflector mounts to and is installed into the receiver when the system is not in use. You can't tell any modification has been done after installing. You will cause no problems for future hitch installations. Once you remove the rear fender the installation will be very intuitive and should take no more than 30 minutes. Good luck...
Jim

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
The first question you should ask yourself is "Will I ever buy a trailer to pull behind my bike(s)?" If the asnwer is yes, don't buy a Pakit Rack. Go ahead and get a Buchtec hitch and then got a separate rack. If you only need to pack for a short trip, you can use the rack and for longer trips, you an pull a trailer.

If you get a Pakit Rack, you'll spend close to $400. For about the same price, you can get the Bushtec hitch and one of these racks: http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7252&str=4

Then you have the best of both worlds. ;)

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Hi there
I've decided to buy a Pakit for a month long trip I have coming up.

Expenses are mounting for the tip, in excess of my plans (what's new? LOL)

Anyway, I'm thinking of mounting the Pakit using their "bracket" instead of a hitch like the Bushtec.. but here's my concern:

If I drill holes to mount the Pakit receiver bracket now and decide later to remove it to intstall a hitch will there be problems because of the holes I'd already drilled for the pakit receiver? My guess is that a frame full of holes is not the smartest idea.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!
If I remember correctly NO holes are drilled in the saddlebag subframe to mount the receiver bracket. BUT, using a hitch such as the Bushtec that mounts to the main frame is stronger and allows you to carry more weight on the Pakit-Rak.

From the Pakit-Rak FAQs:
http://www.pakitrak.com/index.php?target=pages&page_id=faq

Q: How much weight will the Pakit Rak / Receiver Carry?
A: The Pakit Rak is designed to carry a maximum of 25 lbs. which includes the weight of the bag. Never exceed the maximum weight limit as stated by your motorcycle manufacturer.

Q: Will the Pakit Rak carry more weight if I use a trailer hitch?
A: Yes: refer to the hitch manufacturer’s weight limitations. Never exceed 45 lbs which is the Rak maximum weight limitation.

I used the Pakit-Rak prior to buying my Bushtec trailer and think it is a excellent way to add more luggage capacity and keeps the weight down low. If you are considering buying a trailer in the future, get a hitch that mounts to the main frame (I am very happy with the Bushtec V2). For me, knowing I was going to purchase a trailer in the future made buying the hitch for mounting the Pakit-Rak the right move.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
The receiver bracket does not require that you "drill" any holes to install it. You will remove the 1/2" round by 8" support that is installed between the left and right saddle bag supports. The only hole you will be drilling (I suggest using a dremel tool) will be a 1" x 1" square hole where receiver is accessed behind the stock reflector. My pakit-rak came with an insert that the reflector mounts to and is installed into the receiver when the system is not in use. You can't tell any modification has been done after installing. You will cause no problems for future hitch installations. Once you remove the rear fender the installation will be very intuitive and should take no more than 30 minutes. Good luck...
Jim
Keep the item bolded above, you will need to reinstall it if you decide to install a Bushtec hitch later. (I found one at a Trike conversion shop when I decided to upgrade to a trailer).

The Pakit Rak receiver is adequate for the use with the Pakit Rak, but once I installed the Bushtec Trailer Hitch, using the Pakit Rak was even better (Extremely solid feel when mounted) and up's the carrying capacity of the Pakit Rak to about 45lbs.

None of the options presented are bad ideas at all, pick the one you like the most.

This is my setup with the Pakit Kooler attached...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Turn Down Exhaust Required?????

When you use the pakit rak or the other rack recommended with a hitch, will the heat from the straight OEM exhaust pipes cause a problem? Its hard to tell from the pictures if you have to install turn down exhaust pipes, which adds to the cost. Thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I looked at the Pakit-Rak for extra cargo carrying too. I decided to go with an Add-On hitch, cooler rack and Nelson-Riggs bag for less $$$ than the Pakit-Rak system, let alone a Bushtec hitch. Plus the cooler rack will carry anything else you'd want to put back there. JMO

·
Registered
368 Posts
I purchased a pakit rack two years ago and completed a 9000k trip using it. It worked fine for us during that trip. At that time we had no intention of ever towing a trailer. The following year we got an Aspen trailer which required us to get a trailer hitch so we bought the Revco brand. Revco sells an adapter that connects to the pakit rack tray which allows us to use the trailer for camping trips or the packit rack for shorter, non-camping trips. The hitch (and the packit rack adapter) use the same hole that you cut out of the fender. If we aren't using either, the rear reflector covers the hole in the fender and looks stock. The Revco adapter costs about $80 the last time I looked.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
When you use the pakit rak or the other rack recommended with a hitch, will the heat from the straight OEM exhaust pipes cause a problem? Its hard to tell from the pictures if you have to install turn down exhaust pipes, which adds to the cost. Thanks.
It will depend on what you use for a bag. I used a Cabela's waterproof bag on my Chrisco rack and the bag overhung the rack. When I went to get fresh socks in the morning they were stuck to the bottom. The bag had melted. I have since installed turndown tips.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent

Thanks for the follow-ups, especially the idea on how I can get a hitch (for possible trailer pulling someday) AND a rack for today for less than the cost of a pakit system. That sounds like really good advice to me!

Michael

·
Registered
477 Posts
It will depend on what you use for a bag. I used a Cabela's waterproof bag on my Chrisco rack and the bag overhung the rack. When I went to get fresh socks in the morning they were stuck to the bottom. The bag had melted. I have since installed turndown tips.
Thanks. Sounds like adding extra storage can be an expensive proposition if I have to also buy turn down pipes. I may just stay with my Nelson Rigg passenger seat bag since I ride solo.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Thanks. Sounds like adding extra storage can be an expensive proposition if I have to also buy turn down pipes. I may just stay with my Nelson Rigg passenger seat bag since I ride solo.
Only if you use a system that hangs too low. The Pakit Rak sits just above the exhaust stream of an OEM exhaust system. I went with a Torqmaster Exhaust and opted for the turndown style since the exhaust will exit a little higher than OEM and may hit the Pakit Rak. I have had zero problems with my setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts